Stargate to return as a trilogy, by their original creators Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin!

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Eh, one of the biggest reasons I kept coming back and rewatching SG1 and Atlantis was because of the characters, I just loved pretty much all of em. They were so likable. There just won't be as quite charismatic a character as Col. Jack O'Neill, two L's. That kind of charisma and likability of characters is what I associate with stargate and find it really hard to believe that a movie trilogy will even bother to attempt such characterizations. Maybe as you say, the story might be good.

Loved the TNG and TOS crew as well. Firefly's crew was awesome too, even Jayne. Hard to think of any other crew/ensemble cast that had such charisma.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Eh, one of the biggest reasons I kept coming back and rewatching SG1 and Atlantis was because of the characters, I just loved pretty much all of em. They were so likable. There just won't be as quite charismatic a character as Col. Jack O'Neill, two L's. That kind of charisma and likability of characters is what I associate with stargate and find it really hard to believe that a movie trilogy will even bother to attempt such characterizations. Maybe as you say, the story might be good.

Loved the TNG and TOS crew as well. Firefly's crew was awesome too, even Jayne. Hard to think of any other crew/ensemble cast that had such charisma.

I liked the characters of SG-1 after about a year of being exposed to them. :) But the main reason I came to like them was because I suspended belief on a massive scale. Sam Carter, although I loved her in all of the Stargate shows, is a complete fantasy in terms of what she is supposed to be in the show. In SG-1 she was a captain in the Air Force by rank, but all of her scientific knowledge is just not possible to have in that capacity. Daniel, yes. I did not like SG-1 Jack because of the movie Jack (one L). The persona of Jack in SG-1 was more like an enlisted sergeant, maybe even only a Corporal. Still, I liked the show overall so I did not have to really like Jack. I did not dislike him so much as I just did not care for him being in the show. The original Jack was far more believable. Special Forces guys are not wizecracking guys. They are laser focused, single mission type fellas, and they are much more like Jack O'Neil of the movie than Jack O'Neill of the series.

I think it was wise for Jack to disappear later on in the series. Now if the movie picks up where the last one left off, even if years later, that Jack needs to be the same as he was in the original. Air Force Colonels are not supposed to be comic relief. I liked the persona of General Hammond because he was much more believable in his role, the way he portrayed it.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The shitstorm has started at Facebook over this at the SG-1 group:

https://www.facebook.com/officialstargatesg1/posts/703915079665826

So many fans wanting the old actors back. Richard Dean Anderson as Jack? In 2014? Seriously? :facepalm: Why are so many people attached to specific actors/actresses and not the core of the stories they watch? I would never watch a show just because a certain actor is in it. Many people follow actors such as Robert Carlyle, David Fassbender, Benedict Cumberbach, Brian Cranston, etc. Why? I dont really care who the actors are. Sometimes, however, the presence of certain actors in shows makes me avoid them. Same with certain writers and directors. If Michael Bay or M. Night Shamalan (sp?) are the producers, I avoid. I am adding JJ Abrams and Roberto Orci and Damon Lindelof to that list too.

But with this new Stargate trilogy, there is a large swath of fans who really think that we will be going back to SG-1, Atlantis and SGU. They are going to be disappointed. It is almost in stone that none of those shows or the events which happened in those shows will be considered in the new set of movies.

I too am shocked by the amount of people who are willfully and pathetically stuck on the past. It's lame and pointless as RDA is not going to play Jack O'Neill in the films. It simply will not happen. Sitting at a computer and angrily masturbating won't make it so, but God love the fanbois for trying. :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I too am shocked by the amount of people who are willfully and pathetically stuck on the past. It's lame and pointless as RDA is not going to play Jack O'Neill in the films. It simply will not happen. Sitting at a computer and angrily masturbating won't make it so, but God love the fanbois for trying. :icon_lol:

What I really hope does NOT happen, is that one of the TV characters is placed in one of the trilogy films as something utterly stupid. Case in point, in the Tim Burton Planet of the Apes abomination, they had Charlton Heston in it as an ape, and he said his famous PoA line "Damn you! Damn you all to hell!" :facepalm:. It was anticlimactic and actually quite sad. What if they have Christopher Judge in one of the snakehead costumes in the background, but with no speaking part? How about having RDA in it, but as a gas station operator or somebody's grandpa? No, it is best if none of the actors from the Brad Wright shows appear in this movie.

HOWEVER, I happen to think that Joe Flanigan would make an EXCELLENT Jack, even in the new trilogy. I briefly thought about RDA as the SGC Command General, but he is just not the right guy for that role.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Dean Devlin in 2011 on the recently verified Stargate trilogy. Even back then, they knew what they wanted to do:

Here is some more on the coming films:

This is going to be interesting, because we are getting something that is different than a "reboot". The Stargate shows could be viewed as a fork in the Stargate story, since they did not come from Devlin and Emmerich. But a continuance of the original movie is not really a reboot is it? It will go in a different direction, but will it be a reboot?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
What I really hope does NOT happen, is that one of the TV characters is placed in one of nthe trilogy films as something utterly stupid. Case in point, in the Tim Burton Planet of the Apes abomination, they had Charlton Heston in it as an ape, and he said his famous PoA line "Damn you! Damn you all to hell!" :facepalm:. It was anticlimactic and actually quite sad. What if they have Christopher Judge in one of the snakehead costumes in the background, but with no speaking part? How about having RDA in it, but as a gas station operator or somebody's grandpa? No, it is best if none of the actors from the Brad Wright shows appear in this movie.

HOWEVER, I happen to think that Joe Flanigan would make an EXCELLENT Jack, even in the new trilogy. I briefly thought about RDA as the SGC Command General, but he is just not the right guy for that role.

I agree with you except that I don't envision, nor can I sanction, any actor from the various TV series playing a role in the movies. I don't even think they would give any of them a cameo spot. What will probably happen is that the movies will not reference the TV series in any way, shape or form. And I'm more than fine with that.

I'm moving forward along with E&D when it comes to Stargate. If others want to hang back and cry in their soy milk over the demise of the TV series that's their problem.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I agree with you except that I don't envision, nor can I sanction, any actor from the various TV series playing a role in the movies. I don't even think they would give any of them a cameo spot. What will probably happen is that the movies will not reference the TV series in any way, shape or form. And I'm more than fine with that.

I'm moving forward along with E&D when it comes to Stargate. If others want to hang back and cry in their soy milk over the demise of the TV series that's their problem.

I completely agree. I just wanted to show that I had a bit of a lukewarm spot for the previous fanbase. But I consider myself a Stargate purist, and I have said from the beginning of my association with you guys that I felt that the movie was the benchmark. :) I have always wanted at least one sequel to Stargate, and I never got it until now. It will be more than 10 years now. Im done with Brad Wright's TV vision of this story. It isn't the one that it's creators envisioned. Now we will get to see the real thing. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I was just over at Gateworld sniffing around in the forums, the blog and so forth. Lots of people not happy about the return/reboot of Stargate:

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2014/05/stargates-return-mgm-announces-new-movie-trilogy/

Many of them are naively expecting that Emmerich and Devlin will somehow nod to the TV series or even include some of the canon. Many of them want the actors from the three shows in the movies, and more than a few of them are just plain pissed off. I get it, because to most of them Stargate means the TV show. Many have never seen the movie, and others have only watched Stargate Universe and none of the other TV shows (the saddest group).

I think that many of them do not know that Emmerich and Devlin were not behind where Brad Wright and Glassener took Stargate. They were more than dissatisfied, they were disgusted. And over the years, Brad made it obvious that he did not give a shit what they thought, and was almost gloating over the fact that he had control of the franchise and it's creators did not. But in no time flat, we are back to continuinbg the original story with a movie trilogy. Then what?

Emmerich and Devlin do not write television scripts. When MGM had to make a decision about doing a sequel film for Stargate and doing a TV series, they took the TV route and then Brad et al took over. The mistake there was removing Emmerich and Devlin from creative control. Brad did some great stuff with SG-1 and SGA. But if he had to follow a creative path controlled/supervised by Emmerich and Devlin, what would we have gotten? Movies alone are not going to carry Stargate (or Star Trek). There is going to have to be a series. And Emmerich and Devlin are not going to be able to deliver one IMO. This does NOT mean we have to pull Brad Wright out of hiding (oh please dont!). Give the next showrunners a long leash, as long as Emmerich and Devlin are holding that leash, I say!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
MORE Stargate news...

The new Stargate trilogy will NOT build on the original movie. It will be a reboot of the concept, starting over.

http://www.themarysue.com/stargate-reboot-will-have-to-start-over/

Excerpt:

Confused about how the planned Stargate reboot could build on the 1994 film? Turns out it won’t… kind of. Dean Devlin, co-writer of the original movie, told The Portland Business Journal that the new trilogy will be millions of light years away from the original. Sorry, Sha’uri: guess you’re stuck with him.

Said Devlin,

The Stargate thing is a different story. We did the original Stargate as an independent movie. It was a surprise success. Shortly before the movie came out, the financiers who were frightened the movie might not do well sold the film to MGM. When the film came out, it was a hit and spawned TV shows.

Of all the projects I’ve ever done, Stargate is the only one from the beginning intended to be a trilogy. We always wanted to do parts two and three, but the thinking was they didn’t want to do anything other than the TV series. So literally for 20 years I’ve been chasing this project. Twenty years later, we can’t really do part two. We have to start over from the beginning. So let’s reboot the series, put in all the things we couldn’t the first time, and set it up properly.

Devlin’s desire to re-invent rather than rebuild the original Stargate trilogy is in line with Warner Bros.’ promises for the film.

This is good news and bad news. Evidently, Warner Bros does not want to piss of the fanbase of Stargate, meaning those of the various TV series. But the creators do not want to integrate the existing TV canon into their new story. Now, who knows what to expect? There is potential here to mess things up.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
What I really hope does NOT happen, is that one of the TV characters is placed in one of the trilogy films as something utterly stupid. Case in point, in the Tim Burton Planet of the Apes abomination, they had Charlton Heston in it as an ape, and he said his famous PoA line "Damn you! Damn you all to hell!" :facepalm:. It was anticlimactic and actually quite sad.

Actually, it was "Take your stinking hands off me, you damn dirty human!" as opposed to the original line, "Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!".

Oh, and "Damn them! Damn them all to hell!" as he passes his gun to his ape son. :icon_lol: