Stargate to return as a trilogy, by their original creators Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I am not happy about them RE & DD getting SG back not at all

Yep, from what Im reading that is the majority of the fanbase feeling the same way. Im in the minority...I am glad we wont be getting Brad Wright's shows and actors back.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I personally think this movie will be boring, but do okay in the boxoffice because of the hype it has generated on Facebook. People are very desperate for stargate to come back, so they'll watch anything you throw at them - which s why SGU was liked by quite a few but a lot f people saw through the bs. Sorry to be sceptical, but Emmerich can't direct or produce these days.

To be fair, even if Brad Wright is not involved, he did a great job with SG-1 and SGA. He has a better track record on his resume, than this Emmerich guy. I personally have always preferred the series to the movie. What made Stargate popular and created a cult/legacy was the series not the movie. I am not going out to see this though sorry.

Brad wright is a TV writer. Roland Emmerich is a first class film director, writer and producer. Brad Wright had one chance to come up with something unique which was SGU and at that he failed and destroyed his own franchise. Without Stargate from DD and RE, Brad would still be pitching Outer Limits. Without Stargate, he becomes...well...what he is today (nothing). :) If he were any good, he would be writing movies or at least he would be sought after for TV series. Im not seeing any of that.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Brad wright is a TV writer. Roland Emmerich is a first class film director, writer and producer. Brad Wright had one chance to come up with something unique which was SGU and at that he failed and destroyed his own franchise. Without Stargate from DD and RE, Brad would still be pitching Outer Limits. Without Stargate, he becomes...well...what he is today (nothing). :) If he were any good, he would be writing movies or at least he would be sought after for TV series. Im not seeing any of that.

Being those doesn't mean he is a good writer/director/producer. Just look at the movies he has made, and see how many are good.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000386/

I know that his(Brad Wright) idea of sgu, failed, but that was because he was trying to join the soap fi bandwagon. He no doubt probably will learn from that.

With stargate SG-1 and SGA however, he expanded the Stargate idea. He made it better and you can't deny that. Emmerich, if I remember correctly, hated the idea of creating a tv series for stargate, which ironically is what made it popular in the first place.

I am not defending Brad Wright for what he did to stargate franchise after creating SGU, but you can't deny you or most of the stargate fanbase out there wouldn't be interested in stargate if it weren't for the tv series. I watched the movie first and I thought it was okay back in 2000, but it was the series that made me love stargate.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Agreed Heisenberg. Emmerich is is FAR from a first class writer, producer and director. He is responsible for some of the worst movies ever made (Moon 44, Universal Soldier, The Day After Tomorrow, 2012, Godzilla 1998). Hopefully with Stargate he does better work.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I thought we'd have another 5 years or so before this announcement. I hope they don't blow it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Agreed Heisenberg. Emmerich is is FAR from a first class writer, producer and director. He is responsible for some of the worst movies ever made (Moon 44, Universal Soldier, The Day After Tomorrow, 2012, Godzilla 1998). Hopefully with Stargate he does better work.

Well, what I should have said was that Emmerich is a whole different class of writer. He does feature length films which are released internationally in theaters. Brad Wright simply does not have this experience. Even if he did, Brad Wright has come up with nothing original, not even SGU. He is a parasitic writer. He took somebody else's great ideas, and incorporated them into his writing in an effort to steal away some of the audience of said show idea. Starting with SG-1, then during SG-1, he stole from Trek. The Atlantis is a dead ringer for Emmerich's other awesome idea of an ancient city-ship buried under the Great Pyramid called Necropolis: City of the Dead.

Say what you will about Emmerich, he is an artist, not a copycat. Along with Stargate's trilogy, we are getting Independence Day Forever I and II as well. :)

I know Im in the minority in this desire to see Devlin and Emmerich take the helm back. :) To me, the very existence of Stargate Universe proved to me that they were out of ideas and unfit to write for Stargate.

Last edited:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I'm thrilled that we're getting a whole new take on the Stargate premise. Brad Wright's vision was tired and played out. He milked the Borg-- I mean Replicator nonsense for all it was worth (and then some). It's definitely time to move on. :triumphant:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm thrilled that we're getting a whole new take on the Stargate premise. Brad Wright's vision was tired and played out. He milked the Borg-- I mean Replicator nonsense for all it was worth (and then some). It's definitely time to move on. :triumphant:

Me too! I waited for a sequel all through 1995, and because the internet was not what it is today we had no Google, no media websites, no Facebook or Twitter and no personal web crawlers or news aggregators to use. Nothing came...until 1997 when SG-1 came on Showtime.

I have to say, I was disappointed with the first season, and I did not like the new wisecracking Jack. But I did like the new Daniel, and I liked Sam Carter. I thought Teal'c was silly looking. But I did see the real stargate spinning in the SGC, since they copied it directly from the movie. I liked the team thing, and then by season 2 I loved the show. Then it got sorta stale, and TNG went off the air and then Treknology showed up in season 6 of SG-1 and to me the show became Gate Trek. Teal'c even copied Spock's "Indeed" AND his raised eyebrow. :icon_mad: Oh, and the whole Goa'uld thing never quite did it for me.

Well, we all know about how the whole Wright version of Stargate went down. It is much like the EU of Star Wars...the CREATOR did not tell anyone to build out on his story, and when it came time for the CREATOR to create some more, why should he or she even consider the other work?

Analogy:

• You create a portable shed from your own plans, and finish it in your front yard. You leave it there until you decide where you want to put it on your property.
  • Neighbors, visitors, and enthusiasts begin to add a flower garden, perhaps a cute little cobblestone walkway, then maybe little picket fence, and one brave soul even paints the shed.
  • You decide you want to put the shed in your backyard, and you move it and leave the other stuff behind. And you strip off the paint or paint over it the way you want.
  • The neighbors, friends, and enthusiasts who added all the new shit go nuts, organize a rally, and generally have a knipshit over the outrage of you doing what you want to do with YOUR shed.
This is how I see Brad Wright's Stargate. MGM passed the production rights to Brad and Glassener because they wanted a TV show instead of a sequel movie, and Emmerich and Devlin had no choice in the matter. They did not give their blessing for the new show, and they did not like the new show.

Having said that, I loved SG-1 and Atlantis. But I loved the movie most of all and I still feel that it is incomplete as is the story the original movie wanted to tell. We could even leave Daniel and Sha're on Abydos and say they died, but not before civilizing the now freed people of Abydos. OMG, they could do all sorts of shit!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Me too! I waited for a sequel all through 1995, and because the internet was not what it is today we had no Google, no media websites, no Facebook or Twitter and no personal web crawlers or news aggregators to use. Nothing came...until 1997 when SG-1 came on Showtime.

I have to say, I was disappointed with the first season, and I did not like the new wisecracking Jack. But I did like the new Daniel, and I liked Sam Carter. I thought Teal'c was silly looking. But I did see the real stargate spinning in the SGC, since they copied it directly from the movie. I liked the team thing, and then by season 2 I loved the show. Then it got sorta stale, and TNG went off the air and then Treknology showed up in season 6 of SG-1 and to me the show became Gate Trek. Teal'c even copied Spock's "Indeed" AND his raised eyebrow. :icon_mad: Oh, and the whole Goa'uld thing never quite did it for me.

Well, we all know about how the whole Wright version of Stargate went down. It is much like the EU of Star Wars...the CREATOR did not tell anyone to build out on his story, and when it came time for the CREATOR to create some more, why should he or she even consider the other work?

Analogy:

• You create a portable shed from your own plans, and finish it in your front yard. You leave it there until you decide where you want to put it on your property.
  • Neighbors, visitors, and enthusiasts begin to add a flower garden, perhaps a cute little cobblestone walkway, then maybe little picket fence, and one brave soul even paints the shed.
  • You decide you want to put the shed in your backyard, and you move it and leave the other stuff behind. And you strip off the paint or paint over it the way you want.
  • The neighbors, friends, and enthusiasts who added all the new shit go nuts, organize a rally, and generally have a knipshit over the outrage of you doing what you want to do with YOUR shed.
This is how I see Brad Wright's Stargate. MGM passed the production rights to Brad and Glassener because they wanted a TV show instead of a sequel movie, and Emmerich and Devlin had no choice in the matter. They did not give their blessing for the new show, and they did not like the new show.

Having said that, I loved SG-1 and Atlantis. But I loved the movie most of all and I still feel that it is incomplete as is the story the original movie wanted to tell. We could even leave Daniel and Sha're on Abydos and say they died, but not before civilizing the now freed people of Abydos. OMG, they could do all sorts of shit!

So much of Brad Wright's version of Stargate was cribbed and taken from other shows and movies. And I'm not talking just the later seasons of SG-1 either. For instance, the "alien snake/creature parasite" was done numerous times before he got around to raping that gimmick. Remember Dark Skies? Puppet Master? Etc. Too many examples of this gimmick to list. Suffice to say, Wright was hardly original with his concept from the very beginning. (To call his vision "derivative" would be a kindness he doesn't deserve)

We could spend all day dissecting the tired tropes that Wright cribbed from others in the making of his Stargate series, but I don't want to waste too much time examining the past. Suffice to say it looks like Brad Wright is done with Stargate (at this point) and that is a good thing. The stargate itself is a really cool scifi device that hasn't been milked to death yet and I'm really looking forward to what E&D do with it. :encouragement:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Well, what I should have said was that Emmerich is a whole different class of writer. He does feature length films which are released internationally in theaters. Brad Wright simply does not have this experience.

You can't really make a straight comparison that way. Big screen writers have a long period to put together a single feature film whereas TV writers are on a constant treadmill against time constraints to put out original programming on a weekly basis spanning years. Stargate SG-1 was brilliantly executed, IMO. Sure, the original SG movie was amazing for what it was but I like the direction SG-1 took the story line, filling in the missing pieces from the movie as they went along while not abandoning the spirit and most elements of the original movie.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You can't really make a straight comparison that way. Big screen writers have a long period to put together a single feature film whereas TV writers are on a constant treadmill against time constraints to put out original programming on a weekly basis spanning years. Stargate SG-1 was brilliantly executed, IMO. Sure, the original SG movie was amazing for what it was but I like the direction SG-1 took the story line, filling in the missing pieces from the movie as they went along while not abandoning the spirit and most elements of the original movie.

Yep, I do believe I said I loved the show! :) I thought Brad did a brilliant job with seasons 2-4 especially, then season 5 was sorta stale and season 6 picked up with the Treknology and introduced the Enterprise...erm...I mean the Prometheus :anim_59:. Of course, it had phasers...I mean Asgard beam weapons, and transporters...um, that's right....Asgard beaming technology :facepalm:. They had aweigh teams beaming down in groups of 5, exactly like Trek. It was the most blatant rip in Stargate. And earlier I said it was introduced after TNG went off the air but it was actually Voyager which went off the air in 2001. Enterprise was failing and Brad thought he would take up the orphaned audience. That is his way. And when there was no Trek to steal from, he went for NuBSG and stole ideas and cobbled together SGU.

Where I disagree with you is the "filling in the blanks" part. I did not like the Goa'uld parasite thing, or the symbiotes in the Jaffa. I did not like the fact that SG-1 made the Jaffa incubators for these parasites. I think Ape mentioned that this was an oft used trope. We even saw it in Wrath of Kahn. The TNG episode arc Conspiracy had it...there are many examples. I did not like the ease in which the Taurii were able to manipulate Goa'uld technology. But overall, I have very few complaints about SG-1 for the most part, even with the Treknology. Although I hated the Ori and the Replicators.

My main desire here is to see Emmerich and Devlin finish the movie story they wanted to do in the beginning. I want to see the aliens they showed in the film, where they come from, how they came into the technology they have, etc. In movie form we will not have time to waste creating mythology, just telling the story in a more focused fashion. And we can concentrate on one or two main characters. All I know is that I dont want Brad Wright within 1000 miles of anything Stargate, after he created the abomination of SGU and slapped the name Stargate on it.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

ezgif-save (1).gif

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
You had your hair done just to post that short clip for lil' ol' me? I'm flattered! You even darkened your skin 'cause you knew I like the exoic. :D

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

You want exotic? Wait until you get me to third base. You'll find all sorts of "exotic" down there. ;)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
You want exotic? Wait until you get me to third base. You'll find all sorts of "exotic" down there. ;)

I sincerely hope that doesn't mean you don't wash for weeks on end. Funky smells and odd bugs are not the "exotic" I'm talking about. :icon_lol:

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I sincerely hope that doesn't mean you don't wash for weeks on end. Funky smells and odd bugs are not the "exotic" I'm talking about. :icon_lol:

Naw baby, I'm talkin' 12" of exotic. You feelin' me? :P

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
I preferred tv stargate as opposed to the movie. I liked the fleshed out stuff on tv and the characters much more so than the movie ones, even Daniel. But liked when Jonas took over and hated that he had to go when Daniel's actor decided to come back.

From movie stargate, I don't expect to get much in the way of fleshed out characters cause it's a movie. I really liked Sg-1 and Atlantis because of the characters. So what's left? Story and sci-fi content. But honestly, I don't expect any good story or sci-fi content to come out of Emmerich and Devlin given their past stories. But eh, we'll see. He's doing Independence Day movies til 2016, so it's gonna be a while anyways. I, personally, feel that Stargate should be on tv rather than movie like Trek, but who knows? Maybe they can generate enough interest in the movies to warrant the making of a rebooted series.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I preferred tv stargate as opposed to the movie. I liked the fleshed out stuff on tv and the characters much more so than the movie ones, even Daniel. But liked when Jonas took over and hated that he had to go when Daniel's actor decided to come back.

From movie stargate, I don't expect to get much in the way of fleshed out characters cause it's a movie. I really liked Sg-1 and Atlantis because of the characters. So what's left? Story and sci-fi content. But honestly, I don't expect any good story or sci-fi content to come out of Emmerich and Devlin given their past stories. But eh, we'll see. He's doing Independence Day movies til 2016, so it's gonna be a while anyways. I, personally, feel that Stargate should be on tv rather than movie like Trek, but who knows? Maybe they can generate enough interest in the movies to warrant the making of a rebooted series.

I loved the TV shows (except SGU), but that is because I always viewed SG-1 as being a different story from the movie. TV shows must necessarily develop regular characters to provide a vehicle for storytelling over TV seasons. You cant just have storytelling, not unless you are doing an anthology where the characters are developed only within the episodes. Stargate Atlantis might have had the most potential of all in the Stargate TV shows. But they bogged it down with the Wraith and the other races they found in the Pegasus. The show should have been about the city of Atlantis more. I would have preferred if they had found some sort of stasis chamber containing say...5 Ancients in the city, then revive them and added them to the cast as regular characters. They could have made these new characters "lesser" Ancients who were more like maintenance personnel instead of any leaders or scientists. They would be Ancients with limited technical knowledge, but enough to enhance McKay's work on being the city back to full operating strength...something along those lines. :)

Whether or not this new trilogy will end with the stargate intact will decide if a new TV show will be possible. After what happened with Brad and SG-1, I wouldnt be surprised if DD and RE destroy it at the end of the trilogy. Im just so fearful that Brad Wright will start hovering around waiting for an opportunity to get back in the game. He was good when he was good, and then he wasnt.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The shitstorm has started at Facebook over this at the SG-1 group:

https://www.facebook.com/officialstargatesg1/posts/703915079665826

So many fans wanting the old actors back. Richard Dean Anderson as Jack? In 2014? Seriously? :facepalm: Why are so many people attached to specific actors/actresses and not the core of the stories they watch? I would never watch a show just because a certain actor is in it. Many people follow actors such as Robert Carlyle, David Fassbender, Benedict Cumberbach, Brian Cranston, etc. Why? I dont really care who the actors are. Sometimes, however, the presence of certain actors in shows makes me avoid them. Same with certain writers and directors. If Michael Bay or M. Night Shamalan (sp?) are the producers, I avoid. I am adding JJ Abrams and Roberto Orci and Damon Lindelof to that list too.

But with this new Stargate trilogy, there is a large swath of fans who really think that we will be going back to SG-1, Atlantis and SGU. They are going to be disappointed. It is almost in stone that none of those shows or the events which happened in those shows will be considered in the new set of movies.