Stargate: Special Forces

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Must just be my eyes then, or a GS artefact.

Hey, I admit that the execution is amateurish, and the effects are canned, but considering that it is a fan film, I have to give them a break...if just to see and hear the story they want to tell. But if that element is as bad as the execution of the effects, then there might be a reason to pan it. Who the hell has access to a studio and proper equipment AND has people willing to work on it together? Not everybody.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
You misunderstand me, I am not ragging on it, I was merely wondering about what I saw and how it worked.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You misunderstand me, I am not ragging on it, I was merely wondering about what I saw and how it worked.

Oh, I think I got that much....I try putting myself in the shoes of fans who go this route. They love a show so much they want to continue it and are willing to gather whatever resources they have, their friends, equipment (as money allows) and spend actual time doing it. Since they are doing it for free and not getting paid, what is it exactly that OMNI expects to see? I would never boo school students performing a school play, or heckle a production at a small playhouse just because it wasn't as professional as larger, well financed productions. If the story is good, I can forgive it. I would hate to be at the receiving end of insults and boos before even starting the project in earnest.

Remember Stargate Universe Distant Hope? HORRIBLE storytelling. Made by a fan who had bought a lot of actual Stargate props, and they had a little better CGI than these folks, but there was no story. They hacked up actual footage and only put themselves in scenes already made.

A reminder:

Just LOL. No story at all. HORRIBLE.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
They introduced the characters in that clip. They all come out of the wormhole, and the effect might have been done with After Effects or something else, but what exactly is the "terrible" part if no story has even been told yet? Is it the characters? Im still optimistic about it because it is a fan film, not a feature from a big studio. :)

Dude, if you had been a drill instructor in the Marines, you would be under investigation for killing recruits about now. :anim_59:

Even I can answer that one. No, not photoshopped. It looks like Adobe After Effects, and what tir fighters are you talking about? What square? Please give time index.

Am I not seeing the right video clip?
twitch... twitch...... twitch....

who the actual fuck are you and what the hell have you done with George?

twitch...

OMNI

Omni, was it just me, or was the stepping through the wormhole effect photo shopped?
It looked like the tie fighters in the original SW 4, replete with "little box" around it.
thats what you call an awfull composition also looks like its completly missing blue/greenscreen element and the keying is complete shit. seriously a 3year old should be able to do this... its composition 101.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
We are a private and non-profit fan film project, based on the popular TV series Stargate.
Gives information about the project on our website.
stargate-sf.de

n4q8uz7j.jpg

We search for reinforcements in the area of "VFX" processing.
Because of the later film is composed almost 90% of CGI effects.

Tasks and people, we still looking for:

Texturing of spaceships in 4K (output format is OBJ)
Matte Painting for VFX Composer (Vue and rotoscoping) processing
CGI explosions (Fume FX)
Particel Effects (Krakatoa)
Color correction
Lighting
Nuke Artist

About help we would be very happy.
The Special Forces team

MGM sues people who do things like you propose to do. MGM is not like Paramount/CBS, which allows people to make non-profit/free fan films of their intellectual properties.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
thats what you call an awfull composition also looks like its completly missing blue/greenscreen element and the keying is complete shit. seriously a 3year old should be able to do this... its composition 101.

In one of Microsoft's commercials for Windows 8, a six year old made a movie where she flew in the air like superman.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

And what is this?
Is this the stage where you smooth out all the errors and such?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

It looks like they keyed a different color other than chroma blue or green. But I will just ask Will that question. :). I know it's hard for you to understand, but the majority of the people here couldnt do that. The majority of people (on or off the net) cant do it either. :) I can do it and I purchased a green screen and the stands and lights and shit, but I am not a good story teller so I have not made anything worth watching, but I have done plenty of green screen stuff already. I suck at it too!

Most people couldnt even hope to be your Padawan. :icon_razz:

OMNI

It looks like they keyed a different color other than chroma blue or green. But I will just ask Will that question. :). I know it's hard for you to understand, but the majority of the people here couldnt do that. The majority of people (on or off the net) cant do it either. :) I can do it and I purchased a green screen and the stands and lights and shit, but I am not a good story teller so I have not made anything worth watching, but I have done plenty of green screen stuff already. I suck at it too!

Most people couldnt even hope to be your Padawan. :icon_razz:
Watch or read a tutorial on greenscreen keying and youll know everything i do about it also just make sure your lighting works with what you put on the green screen if a blue image light needs to be White or blue NOT yellow.. its mixing and matching, good keying is easily learned from youtube.

and yep. tru as fuck that!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Dude, explain "keying"
Are we talking just getting your colour mix right, or are you talking about FX and such?
Yeah, I can go look it up, and understand it, but that does not mean I will really *understand* it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
MGM sues people who do things like you propose to do. MGM is not like Paramount/CBS, which allows people to make non-profit/free fan films of their intellectual properties.

EXACTLY.