'Stargate' Remake Finds Its Writers

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This ^

I'm ready for something totally new.

This is an area of contention for so many Stargate fans because the majority of the fanbase formed around the TV series characters and stories. But from my perspective, seeing the movie first and then waiting for the sequel, I was confronted with Brad Wright's SG-1. I decided that I liked Daniel right off the bat, but Jack was just off to me. Then the whole Jaffa with the Goa'uld to me was something off in left field. Brad Wright's stargate creations have nothing to do with the creators Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich. It is the same dynamic that happened with SGU. The fans of SGU necessarily would not like SG-1 or Atlantis, and most certainly not the movie. The premise of SGU is so far out there in relation to the Stargate premise that it isn't even in the same dimension. The fans of SGU would not like it if SG-1 came back as a new show. The fans of NuTrek are not the ones who will be collecting box sets of DS9 or TNG. They would not be thrilled with Single-And-Proud Logical Spock. They want Make-Out-In-The-Turbolift-With-Uhura Spock. There are going to be casualties here with the new Stargate movie. :)

The reality is that the fans of the TV series are not going to get anything they are familiar with except for the gate itself and the idea behind it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have been sending crawlers, asking friends, and still nothing new on this Stargate movie or the other movies that are going to follow. I do get the feeling that the "fanbase" of Stargate is rallied around the TV series shows and their characters, and not the movie. SG-1 deviated from the movie right off the bat by filling in spaces where there was no backstory. The aliens we saw in the original movie were morphed into humans possessed by the Goa'uld parasite. The snakeheads were given a face by recruiting Teal'c and naming their race the Jaffa. The whole Ancients thing was also created by Brad.

A reboot of Stargate will destroy all of that and started the entire thing over. This WILL be a reboot and not a sequel. Anybody know anything more?

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I have been sending crawlers, asking friends, and still nothing new on this Stargate movie or the other movies that are going to follow. I do get the feeling that the "fanbase" of Stargate is rallied around the TV series shows and their characters, and not the movie. SG-1 deviated from the movie right off the bat by filling in spaces where there was no backstory. The aliens we saw in the original movie were morphed into humans possessed by the Goa'uld parasite. The snakeheads were given a face by recruiting Teal'c and naming their race the Jaffa. The whole Ancients thing was also created by Brad.

A reboot of Stargate will destroy all of that and started the entire thing over. This WILL be a reboot and not a sequel. Anybody know anything more?

This is what my hunch says. I think MGM rebooted this series intentionally to see how it might be received, but they gave it to the wrong people to reboot. My hunch says that if the reboot does well in the box-office, we will see a sequel and maybe a few years down the line, we may see a tv series reboot. MGM hasn't sold the rights and they won't sell the franchise to anyone. Kinda what we are seeing with trek. I'd just wish they didn't give to people who can't write a decent story. If you want to reboot the series, give it to people who can make the series better, not worse even though the original writers made the original franchise.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is what my hunch says. I think MGM rebooted this series intentionally to see how it might be received, but they gave it to the wrong people to reboot. My hunch says that if the reboot does well in the box-office, we will see a sequel and maybe a few years down the line, we may see a tv series reboot. MGM hasn't sold the rights and they won't sell the franchise to anyone. Kinda what we are seeing with trek. I'd just wish they didn't give to people who can't write a decent story. If you want to reboot the series, give it to people who can make the series better, not worse even though the original writers made the original franchise.

I don't see how giving the franchise back to it's original creators can be a wrong move. I imagine how new fans of NuTrek would react if the original writing style returns. The reboot started 7 years ago. When SG-1 started, I was shaking my head because I loved the movie and the series was a lot different than the movie. I came to like the series, but I still saw the story in the movie as being different than the actual TV show when it came on Showtime. For me, the rebooted franchise WITHOUT the stuff we saw in the series is a good thing. No more Goa'uld, no more Jaffa as being some slave race hosting parasite larva, no more earth ships or Ancients or System Lords.

All of that is still SG-1 and Atlantis, so you are not losing anything. But that whole journey is over. I know for a fact I am in a minority of Stargate fans in this perception, but I still see it as a win that Emmerich and Devlin have their Stargate back. :) Perhaps it will suck, perhaps it won't! As long as I do not see Brad Wright anywhere in the mix, I will be happy. :)

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I don't see how giving the franchise back to it's original creators can be a wrong move. I imagine how new fans of NuTrek would react if the original writing style returns. The reboot started 7 years ago. When SG-1 started, I was shaking my head because I loved the movie and the series was a lot different than the movie. I came to like the series, but I still saw the story in the movie as being different than the actual TV show when it came on Showtime. For me, the rebooted franchise WITHOUT the stuff we saw in the series is a good thing. No more Goa'uld, no more Jaffa as being some slave race hosting parasite larva, no more earth ships or Ancients or System Lords.
This is because given the track records of the original creators, they didn't really have a great resume to tell a good story. Can you tell me any good movies they've made recently or even 10 years ago? Both Roland and Dean haven't written anything great.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002041/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000386/

All of that is still SG-1 and Atlantis, so you are not losing anything. But that whole journey is over. I know for a fact I am in a minority of Stargate fans in this perception, but I still see it as a win that Emmerich and Devlin have their Stargate back. :) Perhaps it will suck, perhaps it won't! As long as I do not see Brad Wright anywhere in the mix, I will be happy. :)
They might not have anything to lose other than a job, but you can't say that the end of stargate series didn't affect you anyway. They gave the POS universe, but managed to give us two fantastic series and that's a fact. They made stargate better; not this Emmerich or Devlin guy.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is because given the track records of the original creators, they didn't really have a great resume to tell a good story. Can you tell me any good movies they've made recently or even 10 years ago? Both Roland and Dean haven't written anything great.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002041/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000386/

They might not have anything to lose other than a job, but you can't say that the end of stargate series didn't affect you anyway. They gave the POS universe, but managed to give us two fantastic series and that's a fact. They made stargate better; not this Emmerich or Devlin guy.

Devlin and Emmerich never got the opportunity to do the TV series for Showtime. They would have been too expensive and they had no TV writing experience. Perhaps the next Stargate TV show will not be done by them, but it won't be done by Brad either. You say they have not written anything great, but they wrote Stargate and conceived of it. They did Independence Day too. Not great works, but much better than SGU.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Devlin and Emmerich never got the opportunity to do the TV series for Showtime. They would have been too expensive and they had no TV writing experience. Perhaps the next Stargate TV show will not be done by them, but it won't be done by Brad either. You say they have not written anything great, but they wrote Stargate and conceived of it. They did Independence Day too. Not great works, but much better than SGU.

Bearing in mind the success of the TV show, are there any aspects of Stargate SG-1 that you'd consider adopting for your Stargate sequel?
– @AlmightyPopcorn

Elements of it will flow into the reboot, definitely. The amount of characters, for instance. It's not a two-hander like the first one with James Spader and Kurt Russell, this time it's a bigger group. Yes, there's still the James Spader character and the Kurt Russell character, but other people are equally important. James and Kurt won't come back – maybe as cameos – it'll be a younger cast.

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/guest-editor-roland-emmerich-answers-questions/

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I admit I liked SG-1 precisely in part because the writers filled in the gaps from the movie with a backstory that was actually pretty logical. The Ancients provided a reasonable explanation for having many worlds with human-like inhabitants. Them plus the other "five" races gave a good background to paint against.

Turning the movie alien into the G'oauld was actually a good idea, as it took the movie element of the alien possessing human hosts and fleshed it out.

With all that said, it's time for a whole new backstory. My apprehension is that Emmerich and Devlin have written a bunch of atrocious films (Godzilla '98, Day After Tomorrow, 10,000 BC, 2012 et al), and as such I'm not at all confident they will rediscover the art of scriptwriting for Stargate.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I admit I liked SG-1 precisely in part because the writers filled in the gaps from the movie with a backstory that was actually pretty logical. The Ancients provided a reasonable explanation for having many worlds with human-like inhabitants. Them plus the other "five" races gave a good background to paint against.

Turning the movie alien into the G'oauld was actually a good idea, as it took the movie element of the alien possessing human hosts and fleshed it out.

This is exactly why the tv series was wildly more successful than the movie ever was. Who would have thought a TV series would dwarf its movie roots in terms of popularity and success? :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Emmerich was on The Daily show yesterday, unfortunately no news on Stargate, it was all about ID42 (sounds like a stormtrooper)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
This is exactly why the tv series was wildly more successful than the movie ever was. Who would have thought a TV series would dwarf its movie roots in terms of popularity and success? :)
The Highlander series sort of did it as well, though that could well be attributed to the woeful sequals :D

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Just FYI to everyone, the Goa'uld alien/snake/parasite/symbiote was hardly original. It had been done before in TV shows and movies. Brad Wright and crew weren't exactly breaking creative new ground by coming up with that gimmick.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Just FYI to everyone, the Goa'uld alien/snake/parasite/symbiote was hardly original. It had been done before in TV shows and movies. Brad Wright and crew weren't exactly breaking creative new ground by coming up with that gimmick.

Yes, true, but what they put together was brilliantly done. Whatever we think of Brad and company there's no denying we all loved SG-1.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Yes, true, but what they put together was brilliantly done. Whatever we think of Brad and company there's no denying we all loved SG-1.

roflbot (2).jpg

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

True it wasn't original, sort of a malevolent version of Trills (from TNG and DS9). But it worked VERY well in the story.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
True it wasn't original, sort of a malevolent version of Trills (from TNG and DS9). But it worked VERY well in the story.

Dark Skies was heavily cribbed from also. The only difference that BW and crew brought to the game was they gave their parasites autonomy as opposed to being hooked into a single, collective consciousness like many other stories did.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The Highlander series sort of did it as well, though that could well be attributed to the woeful sequals :D

The Highlander series would be the poster child for a TV show taking a movie concept and then far outdoing the movie.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
The Highlander series would be the poster child for a TV show taking a movie concept and then far outdoing the movie.
Unlike "the Crow" series, which sucked more than the woeful sequals :D

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

You're right, the Highlander series was quite good compared to the original movie sequels starring Christopher Lambert.

*The sequel movie to the TV series, Highlander: The Source starring Adrian Paul was a real turd though. Seriously, it stunk.