Star Wars "Rebels"

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Watched the premiere ep, pretty good, though one must remember it is on disney (albeit the channel for the teenager fans) but like the Clone WARS, it seems to be a show with dual viewing possibilities. It has the straight out stuff for the kids plus the 'gotta think about it" parts for the adult fans.

I am guessing that this crew is going to be at least a part of those mentioned in A NEW HOPE where it was said "many agents have died getting these (death star) plans...". Seems to be that this crew would fit the daring needed to do such things

but we'll just have to wait

airs mondays (for those of us for whom that still matters) and has been greenlit for a S2

an opinion/review:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/03/showbiz/tv/star-wars-rebels-disney/index.html?hpt=hp_t5

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It managed to keep my interest despite the fact that it was obvious where they were going with the characters.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
A typical "intro to the characters" ep

and we got to remember, ppl from 8 to 68 are watching this show and it is on a network designed for teens

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
A typical "intro to the characters" ep

and we got to remember, ppl from 8 to 68 are watching this show and it is on a network designed for teens

Im waiting on the weekend to start this show. :) I know I was hooked on Clone Wars from thew first episode, so I want to really be prepared.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Im waiting on the weekend to start this show. :) I know I was hooked on Clone Wars from thew first episode, so I want to really be prepared.

so far it is just the intro first ep-I dont think the series actually starts till next Monday

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Can someone help nail down the timeline that Rebels takes place in? It's pre-New Hope I'm assuming since Tarkin is still alive, but it is a bit confusing. How old is Luke at this point? Is he still a baby?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Can someone help nail down the timeline that Rebels takes place in? It's pre-New Hope I'm assuming since Tarkin is still alive, but it is a bit confusing. How old is Luke at this point? Is he still a baby?

14 yrs after ep 3 == 5 yrs before ep 4

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yoda--by Frank Oz--to be in next REBELS ep

They have gotten more of the actors from the original films to lend their voice to this--more then CLONE WARS did

apparently disney is not afraid to spend the cash on producing REBELS and will pay to attract ppl like James Earl Jones and Oz and Anthony DANIELS to voice their parts in a "cartoon"

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/watch-star-wars-rebels-gets-visit-yoda-182357847.html

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Only one episode left this season. I'm liking the show fairly well so far and don't have too many problems with it. I'd prefer some better styling on Ezra as he looks like a dork. And Chopper needs to be toned down as he's a bit annoying at times. Plus they need to go to more exotic locales.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Keep in mind of the purposes of this show is to tie the prequels better into canon (since they don't have the no doubt preferred option of just forgetting they ever existed). Hence plot points like transitioning the Imperial Army from clones to real people. And it is doing that pretty well while being entertaining too.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Keep in mind of the purposes of this show is to tie the prequels better into canon (since they don't have the no doubt preferred option of just forgetting they ever existed). Hence plot points like transitioning the Imperial Army from clones to real people. And it is doing that pretty well while being entertaining too.
Only one episode left this season. I'm liking the show fairly well so far and don't have too many problems with it. I'd prefer some better styling on Ezra as he looks like a dork. And Chopper needs to be toned down as he's a bit annoying at times. Plus they need to go to more exotic locales.

the only thing that kind of gets on my nerves is that they seem to land at the same spot (on the same planet) everytime-even just after a run in with an imperial cruiser

you'd think the Empire has a way of tracking where they go to....

as for the droid...well the show is targeted at a WIDE age range-like 6 to 60

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I just downloaded all 12 episodes I could find (are there more yet?).

Im hooked. That is all. :daniel_new_anime021::smiley-money-mouth::joy::popcorn:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Im only at Ep 2 and Chopper is already grating. At least they made a different droid instead of mutilating R2D2. :) It is typical uncreative crap to put those two arm things on Chopper, and his behavior is annoying and distasteful. I dont like it that he is a central character. If they blew him up I would like it better. :) And this kid, he is the new young Jedi they are going to groom? Okay. Im still liking this show a lot. They try very obviously to tie this in with the original trilogy, in order to retcon things into it (like Chopper).

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It's not bad really. I like that they are using it as a platform to smooth out some of the more ridiculous nonsense from the prequels and make a better tie in between the OT and prequels.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Im only at Ep 2 and Chopper is already grating. At least they made a different droid instead of mutilating R2D2. :) It is typical uncreative crap to put those two arm things on Chopper, and his behavior is annoying and distasteful. I dont like it that he is a central character. If they blew him up I would like it better. :) And this kid, he is the new young Jedi they are going to groom? Okay. Im still liking this show a lot. They try very obviously to tie this in with the original trilogy, in order to retcon things into it (like Chopper).

Don't worry, Ezra improves as they get more into the Jedi aspect of things. (I still think his aesthetic styling is terrible though.) As for Chopper, they seem to want to emphasize the anthropomorphic aspects of a droid, which we all know is dumb, but by doing so they make the character more relatable to humans -- dim witted ones that is. Why some droids have human personalities while others are merely work horses is rather questionable in terms of credibility and logic but then again, it's a fantasy universe so we just have to accept it.

Don't get me wrong, I can accept, and even enjoy, giving certain robots a "personality". But the problem comes in when the writers go over the top and create an endlessly surly/wisecracking dick of a robot. God knows if I owned a droid like that I'd have that thing in the shop getting a "wipe" real fast. ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Don't worry, Ezra improves as they get more into the Jedi aspect of things. (I still think his aesthetic styling is terrible though.) As for Chopper, they seem to want to emphasize the anthropomorphic aspects of a droid, which we all know is dumb, but by doing so they make the character more relatable to humans -- dim witted ones that is. Why some droids have human personalities while others are merely work horses is rather questionable in terms of credibility and logic but then again, it's a fantasy universe so we just have to accept it.

I like Ezra. :) Im just at a loss to understand why these rebel Jedi decided to train him even though he is already quite old (in Padawan terms). Even that infantile Anakin they used in the prequels was considered too old and to me he looked about age 7. And Kanan. Is he a Jedi Master? His skills seem more like he is a Padawan with incomplete training, as do the rest of the Ghost crew. Still, I like the crew of the Ghost, including Ezra. But I truly despise Chopper now. It's like they took the worst ADHD, annoying and overactive kid they could find and transplanted his brain into that dumbass robot. Can this thing be enlarged to accommodate larger stuff?

o3m5H3v.gif

Don't get me wrong, I can accept, and even enjoy, giving certain robots a "personality". But the problem comes in when the writers go over the top and create an endlessly surly/wisecracking dick of a robot. God knows if I owned a droid like that I'd have that thing in the shop getting a "wipe" real fast. ;)

I like the show's versions of R2D2 and C3PO, although they seem to have made C3PO a bit bitchier, and also snobbier. R2D2 was badass in the Clone Wars, but in this he just has bit parts. But what were they trying to do with Chopper? I shudder to think who in the viewing audience would identify with him. His behavior is just annoying, not funny. R2 is funny to me. Chopper, well....

Can-buckling-crush-loop.gif

With all that said, Im still hooked and I love this show. :)

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

12 eps sounds right--the premiere was a 1 hr (1 1/2?) "movie"

like i said--the show is for EVERYONE ages 6-60 so, things/characters like chopper are going to happen :icon_lol:

a few more eps and you will see the story gets a bit more focused and more tilted towards the teenage/adult audience; we see stormtroopers and others get killed but no blood and gore; we get the inquisitor lopping off heads-off camera-and get cutesy chopper in the next scene

but its still good