Star Trek vs. Star Wars! Let the match begin!

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
A more interesting battle would be a Defiance-class warship vs the Millenium Falcon. Not such a clear victory there.

Maybe in a race and maneuverability war but don't forget the Defiance class warship was designed to defeat Borg-class ships. One shot on target and the Falcon is confetti.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Of course they have shields, hell, even deflector screens are spoken of in ANH,
But hey, don't stop the roll man, makes you a Tech H8ter and smashes some crappy memes which are far more important strawmen to crush!!

Midichlorians are also spoken of in Star Wars. :) Star Trek borrowed the concept of shields from the original War of the Worlds movie, and the deflector dish was designed to push larger space debris out of the way when the ship travels at warp and high sublight speeds.

Still, look at these Star Wars films. If they had actual shield technology, many of the battles we have seen in every Star Wars movie would not even be possible. Even the hot rod Falcon does not have shields.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Maybe in a race and maneuverability war but don't forget the Defiance class warship was designed to defeat Borg-class ships. One shot on target and the Falcon is confetti.

Excellent point. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
A more interesting battle would be a Defiance-class warship vs the Millenium Falcon. Not such a clear victory there.
The Falcon would be the bug on the bug on the windshield. Except for the speed of hyperdrive, -as a general rule- Trek tech shits all over SW tech.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
I cannot think of anything Star Wars related that is as silly as Star Trek 4: The Search for Whales.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I cannot think of anything Star Wars related that is as silly as Star Trek 4: The Search for Whales.

I can.....

The Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones

Revenge of the Sith....

Star Trek IV had a humorous side but never forgot it was Trek or Science Fiction for that matter.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Whale songs cannot travel to outer space.

The whole point of the story was the probe came because its makers lost touch with the whales. We don't know how they were doing it - transmitter in the Earth or whatever. And when the probe arrived they showed how it communicated with the whales.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I can.....

The Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones

Revenge of the Sith....

Star Trek IV had a humorous side but never forgot it was Trek or Science Fiction for that matter.

I can too...

jarjar.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Whale songs cannot travel to outer space.

No, but they can definitely travel much longer distances than other sounds in the sea. The point the movie was making was that whales are sentient and intelligent and have been here much much longer than humans. It presupposes that ancient alien contact had been made with them before they went "extinct". YES, it was a leftie premise about endangered humpbacks (which have since rebounded, I might add)

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
No, but they can definitely travel much longer distances than other sounds in the sea. The point the movie was making was that whales are sentient and intelligent and have been here much much longer than humans. It presupposes that ancient alien contact had been made with them before they went "extinct". YES, it was a leftie premise about endangered humpbacks (which have since rebounded, I might add)

Whale sounds cannot contact space aliens.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Whale sounds cannot contact space aliens.

I believe that in the movie it was the space aliens who were contacting the whales, not the other way around. There was nothing to suggest that our whales were actually related to the aliens. That movie was more about re-thinking Spock, the core crew and saving earth. It took place without the Enterprise. It managed to mix science and comedy and drama in a pleasingly enough way.

For me, the low point of the Star Trek movies in recent times was Nemesis. What a horrid script. :(

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I believe that in the movie it was the space aliens who were contacting the whales, not the other way around. There was nothing to suggest that our whales were actually related to the aliens. That movie was more about re-thinking Spock, the core crew and saving earth. It took place without the Enterprise. It managed to mix science and comedy and drama in a pleasingly enough way.
The whales were the aliens "friends", so yes, you are right. They gave off a "signal" that the Aliens detected, and when it vanished, they went looking for their friends.
The Aliens were stupid however, they should have known that the Dolphins would have gotten the Whales out of dodge before everything turned to crap.
For me, the low point of the Star Trek movies in recent times was Nemesis. What a horrid script. :(
Oh, it was "there but for the grace of god go I", done in the cheesiest way possible, but the worst one is still I.D.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
hqdefault.jpg

:icon_rotflmao::shep_lol: I hate NuTrek, but I thought that was funny. :)

Star Wars is what children play in holodecks on their play time. :) Being a Star Wars X-Wing fighter pilot is Tom Parris' latest favorite holodeck program, overtaking Captain Proton. Commander Data does a convincing Darth Vader impression for fun in Ten Forward. :smiley-laughing021:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The whales were the aliens "friends", so yes, you are right. They gave off a "signal" that the Aliens detected, and when it vanished, they went looking for their friends.
The Aliens were stupid however, they should have known that the Dolphins would have gotten the Whales out of dodge before everything turned to crap.

Oh, it was "there but for the grace of god go I", done in the cheesiest way possible, but the worst one is still I.D.

Oh, I was not counting any of the new movies. :) Into Darkness is by far the worst movie. Something tells me this next one will be even worse.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
View attachment 32394

:icon_rotflmao::shep_lol: I hate NuTrek, but I thought that was funny. :)
Force fields don't stop Vader from choking the life outta them clowns.
Star Wars is what children play in holodecks on their play time. :)
Nope, they plan Captain Picard day!!
Being a Star Wars X-Wing fighter pilot is Tom Parris' latest favorite holodeck program, overtaking Captain Proton.
Tom is too busy with Be'lana these days.
Commander Data does a convincing Darth Vader impression for fun in Ten Forward. :smiley-laughing021:
I suspect Lore would do it better.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
You're assuming a context. They never said, "whale sounds travel through space".

Yes, they did. The aliens were accustomed to hearing the whale songs from many light years away from earth, that is why they traveled to earth when the whale songs stopped.