Star Trek vs. Star Wars! Let the match begin!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Star wars: Fantasy wrapped in a space bow
Star Trek, Sci fi with a -few- fantastical elements

/thread

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Uh, nope on your "/thread" . We've got a running ST Vs. SW debate running across multiple threads and the idea is that this is the new spot for it. Keeps things better organized and easier to follow.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
If only there was a mod or staff member around to move them all here.................

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That will be the funnest part!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I am pretty much saying all of that-yes. We know a flux capacitor is nonsense--I said that. What you do not seem to get, is that in a lot of space based fantasy entertainment, the "science" real or not, is A PROP, A BACKDROP,A TOOL, A "ITS NOT IMPORTANT,ITS JUST THERE, PAY ATTN TO THE STORY" TYPE OF THING.

You're trying to equate all sci-fi sub-genres. You can't. The majority of the ST fanbase is very techy and the techy explanations are at the core of their entertainment whereas the majority of the SW fanbase is not and does not require it.

Bluce Ree

I leave you with this thought............

View attachment 32369

Now about that matchup...:smiley-laughing021: Okay, the Imperial Cruiser has no shields, and pulsed directed energy weapons and mechanical turrets. Without deploying it's fighters, the fight can only end one way. The Enterprise fires a spread of about 4 photon torpedoes and the Cruiser is space debris. :). It could literally slice it in half with a continuous phaser beam across it's middle. It could beam the engines off of the ship and into space. :icon_rotflmao:

View attachment 32374

Well, that was quick and even left him plenty of time to have sex. :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
You're trying to equate all sci-fi sub-genres. You can't. The majority of the ST fanbase is very techy and the techy explanations are at the core of their entertainment whereas the majority of the SW fanbase is not and does not require it.
This is true.
-however-
The continued bullshit over "I'm a Trek fan first so I have a brain" VS "I am a SW fan first so I want a good story first" is just frigging laughable.
BUT it makes good fodder to poke people with. :)
(especially when you like both) :lol:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I also leave this here. JJ Abrams himself concedes that star wars is fantasy. :) Specifically a fairytale. That's right, the same guy that made star wars and star trek.

Man shatner - what a legend. The guy's humour always gets me.

/End of discussion.

Last edited:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I'm sorry, but I got told that /Discussion does not work here, and I agreed with you.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually the Star Destroyer does have shields. They are mentioned in both The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Now how effective they are... :D

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Actually the Star Destroyer does have shields. They are mentioned in both The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Now how effective they are... :D
Of course they have shields, hell, even deflector screens are spoken of in ANH,
But hey, don't stop the roll man, makes you a Tech H8ter and smashes some crappy memes which are far more important strawmen to crush!!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
He's sort of right. It does center on a particular family and its issues but there is also a bigger story in the background. This isn't soap-fi crap like SGU. It is more in the vein of epic fantasy.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
If SGU wasn't just........ badly handled, it could have been very cool, but it was, and it sucked because of that.

Bluce Ree

This is true.
-however-
The continued bullshit over "I'm a Trek fan first so I have a brain" VS "I am a SW fan first so I want a good story first" is just frigging laughable.
BUT it makes good fodder to poke people with. :)
(especially when you like both) :lol:

Who says that? I haven't gotten that from any of the posts so far. All I am seeing thus far is "if this is fantasy then that's fantasy because of X", trying to equate the two sub-genres.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Im talking about real shields that protect the ship from weapons fire. The only time I have heard of actual shields being used are when they had the partially finished Death Star over Endor and the mission was to disable those shields to get at the Death Star. Everything else in Star Wars regarding those Star Destroyers shows them being hit by all weapons fire from every ship, it shows the Millenium Falcon actually hitching a ride on them, etc. Maybe those shields are handheld ones given to the crew inside the ship? :confused0076: The Enterprise could easily destroy a whole fleet of Star Destroyers.

A more interesting battle would be a Defiance-class warship vs the Millenium Falcon. Not such a clear victory there.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Who says that? I haven't gotten that from any of the posts so far. All I am seeing thus far is "if this is fantasy then that's fantasy because of X", trying to equate the two sub-genres.

That is what I am seeing too. :) Finding fantasy and magic in Star Trek is a far cry from centering the entire franchise on it like Star Wars has done. Even the ghosts in Star Trek have been explained.