STAR TREK: VOYAGER leadership poll

If Janeway had been lost, who of the following would have made the most logical choice for CPT?

• Chakotay

• Seven

• Neelix

• Tuvok

• Tom Paris

• other-state why below

Results are only viewable after voting.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
been re-watching a few select episodes-again,and some things that never would have came into my mind about the show before all of the latest nuTrek, ST:D and Picard rumors, have raised.

Here's one, let's have a poll for a change and then discuss after(?)
answer with no regard to starfleet rank protocol

7 day poll!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
From a temperament point of view I would say Tuvok.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
been re-watching a few select episodes-again,and some things that never would have came into my mind about the show before all of the latest nuTrek, ST:D and Picard rumors, have raised.

Here's one, let's have a poll for a change and then discuss after(?)
answer with no regard to starfleet rank protocol

7 day poll!

Unless something happened, then Chakotay would have become Captain by default. He is the First Officer (XO) and military protocol would make him Captain, just as it would in today's military.

EDIT: I saw that I should disregard military rank...so I would say Seven. That is because she is an excellent strategist, she is more intelligent than all other humans and other species on the ship (including Tuvok), and she is a cyborg and can interface with technology if need be.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Unless something happened, then Chakotay would have become Captain by default. He is the First Officer (XO) and military protocol would make him Captain, just as it would in today's military.

EDIT: I saw that I should disregard military rank...so I would say Seven. That is because she is an excellent strategist, she is more intelligent than all other humans and other species on the ship (including Tuvok), and she is a cyborg and can interface with technology if need be.

i said 7 as well, partially for your reasons, but by mainly for others

tell you why in 7 days :loyal:

with Chakotay, i realize he is/was a officer of SF, but wasn't his being made xo more of a on board 'political' decision by Janeway to get all of the Maquis to sign on?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Tuvok is the obvious choice. Can't be Seven because she's a former Borg and has proven to still be susceptive to Borg influence several times. Also she would make choices a real Captain shouldn't make due to a certain lack of regard for the value of a human life. Chakotay is a dick and being a former Maquis he might not have enough pull among the entire crew. Tuvok on the other hand has been in Starfleet for a looong time and has all the qualities required to lead a crew.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Come to think of it, the Emergency Command Hologram might be a good choice as well. It'd certainly be fun. I love seeing them pips appear.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Come to think of it, the Emergency Command Hologram might be a good choice as well. It'd certainly be fun. I love seeing them pips appear.

so.. changing your vote to 'other'

write in candidates-a great aspect of democracy! :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Most importantly of all he is down to Earth, grounded, practical. Also he can box so if he ever found himself in a fight with a Gorn...

one thing about him that I don't know has ever been in another prominent ST character; he is a humanist. a anthropologist by training if i remember correctly

just get a bazooka for a gorn :)

but in the character consideration, yes, keep in mind the characteristics and experiences of all of them, but also remember the mission and where they are...

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Voyager has such inconsistently written characters its hard to make a decision.

Tuvok is too coldly logical. He doesn't have the instincts of a Kirk. He isn't a leader IMO. He's a follower.

Seven is a good candidate. She spoke her mind to Janeway in a way that should have been written for Chakotay but again she based her decisions solely in her version of reason and wasn't naturally a leader. She didn't use her gut.

Just realising now how crap a lot of the characters on Voyager were. Yet I have to go with Chakotay ( not badly written backing down Chakotay, well written Chakotay ). He has proved himself again and again to have the best interests of the crew at heart, he acted as a bridge between maquis and Starfleet, he's compassionate yet assertive ( when he's well written ), he has an aggressive side yet also shows prudence Janeways unstable character didn't, he also has a relaxed yet firm command style. He also has knowledge of more unconventional tactics from his Marquis days than is Starfleet protocol which is beneficial for a stranded ship. He is also spiritually aware and while this might not seem to be a command advantage it also means he can be centred and objective when dealing with his subbordinates. He's not an overly agressive intimidating officer yet he is capable of taking risks. Most importantly of all he is down to Earth, grounded, practical. Also he can box so if he ever found himself in a fight with a Gorn...
I have to agree with everything you wrote, but I don't like it. Chakotay is still a dick. I disliked all of the Chakotay-centric episodes. They were soooo draaaaaggiiiiing. Yuck. A show with him as Captain? Hell no!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I have to agree with everything you wrote, but I don't like it. Chakotay is still a dick. I disliked all of the Chakotay-centric episodes. They were soooo draaaaaggiiiiing. Yuck. A show with him as Captain? Hell no!

yeah he may be a dick, but he is a flexible guy and his trained and experiences as a 'people watcher'/ anthropologist may have allowed him to adapt and become a more capable commander, even if he had to fake it

but again, the issues of chaotay's personality or any one else's, are not my reasons for choosing 7

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I have a higher regard for ST:VOY than some here (I think OM does too). With that said, I picked Tuvok on the basis of temperament. I know Chatokay was the XO but the poll said to ignore that. He just never struck me as being the type of really even keeled person I would want in command. Now Janeway does display this quality. She always felt every inch a Captain and one who earned it the right way.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I have a higher regard for ST:VOY than some here (I think OM does too). With that said, I picked Tuvok on the basis of temperament. I know Chatokay was the XO but the poll said to ignore that. He just never struck me as being the type of really even keeled person I would want in command. Now Janeway does display this quality. She always felt every inch a Captain and one who earned it the right way.

I think people who like Chakotay regard the show pretty highly as well :biggrin:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I Loved VOY second only to DS9 (followed by TOS, ENT and a far far fifth STNG) and I would pick Tuvok. He had a long Starfleet history. But honestly, no one could replace Janeway!!!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes!!! finally a vote for Neelix! :)

I would vote for him myself if you made the poll question "Who would you blow out of the airlock first if you had to reduce the crew?" :smiley-laughing021:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
so, calling the 'election' for Tuvok

of course there is no right or wrong (who would I be to say who is correct or not? and we are talking about sci fi)

I picked 7, why?
- her "education" and nearly unlimited pool of knowledge, available at the speed of thought

- her having been assimilated at a young age and therefore, never having been overly 'contaminated' by human social interactions and mores is a plus. she was basically what we would call, home-schooled by her parents, so what she did learn on the social front would have only been what they had taught her,and they were scientists. This asset would make her able to make decisions in a more objective manner, imo

-her being a former borg, her cybernetic functions would allow her to link in to the ships tech without the need for inefficient verbal communications

-she is the only member of the crew who approached all issues from a objective perspective. Every other member did use some level of objectivity, but it was always diluted by subjective variables. Even Tuvok could not operate at this level of objectivity even if he never showed emotions. Being a Vulcan, he had to always dampen those feelings via applied discipline and meditation,etc.

- and, what in my view is the most important FOR THE MISSION VOYAGER is on and where they are at- she has ALL of the information of the collective at her command. In particular, all the training and experiences of every member of Starfleet ever assimilated. Plus all the training and experiences of every other person or alien species ever assimilated. Giving her an unparalleled ability to access and put into action,immediately, that info for the benefit of the ship and crew.

as for her trust worthiness factor, she showed -in the S4 finale, that she actually had no desire to return to the collective. Due to the actions of Arturis, her and Janeway were minutes away from assimilation, and 7 stated she had no desire to return to the Borg- "VOYAGER is my collective"

this,and the numerous other times she worked on behalf of the crew-often times using her body as a weapon or tactic, further demonstrated her loyalty.