Star Trek Fan Series in a nutshell...

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That is a good one.

Here is a pretty silly one (it is riffing on the real life feud between William Shatmer and George Takei):

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That is a good one.

Here is a pretty silly one (it is riffing on the real life feud between William Shatmer and George Takei):

LOL I liked that! FIRE! fire. FIRE! fire. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It is funny. Sulu gets torqued at Kirk and so he opens fire!

And between them they probably fired like 50 times. And then they finally destroy the Klingons like they were a distraction then get back to firing on each other.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
so explain this to me like i am 6 yrs old...

how is it all of this fan made stuff is up on YT with no (?) interference from paramount/cbs or a lawsuit like with AXANAR?

they are using character and ship names that are "the property of...", continuing on plot lines that started in official shows/films

they are making some money from the ads that come on before the vid

so why is it they get away with it and AXANAR can't?

again,like i am 6yrs old :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The Axanar gang ran a for profit enterprise, raising funds via Kickstarter and indiegogo and not only paid themselves but used funds to open their own studio which was to produce both Trek and non-Trek films. Big time licensing violations.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
The Horizons film was good writing and good acting, but the fuzzy background out of focus and overdone lens flares made it hard to watch.

Still, it's pretty good IMO

I'm watching this now and it's not bad. But, yeah, too much lens flare and also a lot of pointless shaky cam.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
so explain this to me like i am 6 yrs old...

how is it all of this fan made stuff is up on YT with no (?) interference from paramount/cbs or a lawsuit like with AXANAR?

they are using character and ship names that are "the property of...", continuing on plot lines that started in official shows/films

they are making some money from the ads that come on before the vid

so why is it they get away with it and AXANAR can't?

again,like i am 6yrs old :)

Joelist beat me to it. The rules are very basic: You cannot make money on them. You must acknowledge that CBS and Paramount own the rights to the characters and other elements. Following rule #1 is pretty much all you need. Axanar was most definitely for-profit, and bigmouth Alec Peters keeps bragging about it being "professional". He paid himself a salary for acting as well as leased a studio named Axanar which openly declared they would be making other films for profit. Axanar got big-headed.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Joelist beat me to it. The rules are very basic: You cannot make money on them. You must acknowledge that CBS and Paramount own the rights to the characters and other elements. Following rule #1 is pretty much all you need. Axanar was most definitely for-profit, and bigmouth Alec Peters keeps bragging about it being "professional". He paid himself a salary for acting as well as leased a studio named Axanar which openly declared they would be making other films for profit. Axanar got big-headed.

ok, but aren't they making money everytime an ad plays on YT before the vid starts? or is that $ considered "Acceptable"

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
A decent one here (pay attention to the story)