Star Trek Fan Series in a nutshell...

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Ok, we seem to be all over the place with the ST names. :icon_lol:

This is Star Trek Continues with the Spock I like as well as Kirk, Uhura and Doohan's son as Scotty:

This is Star Trek New Voyages (aka Phase II) with the fruity Kirk who's really a red shirt doing a poor impersonation of Shatner:

Between the two, I find the production values and acting much better in Star Trek Continues (the first one above) AND we Scotty's role is back in the hands of a Doohan. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Getting specifically to the Spocks.

The "Continues" Spock LOOKS more Spock-like, but does not get the mannerisms and cadence right.

The "New Voyages" Spock looks more like Dwayne Johnson playing a Vulcan, but has the speech cadence and mannerisms down pat.

And yes, the New Voyages Kirk is terrible. He comes off like Wesley Crusher doing a "Kirk" impression.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Getting specifically to the Spocks.

The "Continues" Spock LOOKS more Spock-like, but does not get the mannerisms and cadence right.

The "New Voyages" Spock looks more like Dwayne Johnson playing a Vulcan, but has the speech cadence and mannerisms down pat.

And yes, the New Voyages Kirk is terrible. He comes off like Wesley Crusher doing a "Kirk" impression.

I think the Star Trek Continues Spock has a wider acting range than Star Trek New Voyages (Bruiser) Spock. I do not think Bruiser Spock could have pulled off "Fairest of them All" from STC which to me is the benchmark of TOS fan episodes to date IMO. It might be the way the whole ensemble pulls together in STC and not just Spock. Bruiser Spock has the mannerisms and gestures down pat, but it's only him. Against STNV Kirk and McCoy and Scotty, it falters where STC gets it right. In my opinion only, of course. :)

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'm not so sure of that.

It's ironic that we have a Spock who looks the role but doesn't get the acting nuances of the role right, and a Spock who gets the acting nuances right does not look the role. I would like to see "bruiser" with the STC crew because the rest of the current NV crew should be spaced :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm not so sure of that.

It's ironic that we have a Spock who looks the role but doesn't get the acting nuances of the role right, and a Spock who gets the acting nuances right does not look the role. I would like to see "bruiser" with the STC crew because the rest of the current NV crew should be spaced :)

Maybe, but the whole ensemble needed to be able to pull off "Fairest of them All". I am not focusing just on Spock....if they could transplant him to the STC cast, that would be sooooo cool! I do not know what sort of chemistry he and Vic Mignona would have. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It's also ironic that we both liked the NV "The Holiest Thing" but the awful work by the cast outside of "bruiser Spock" does drag it down some. Especially weird hair guy at the helm and "boy Kirk".

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's also ironic that we both liked the NV "The Holiest Thing" but the awful work by the cast outside of "bruiser Spock" does drag it down some. Especially weird hair guy at the helm and "boy Kirk".

Wimplet Kirk ruined his role in that. The writing made up for his lack of acting chops because Carol Marcus telegraphed what the scenes were supposed to be. I love that episode, and I watched it just last night again. :) I wonder who is going to revisit the planet Iconia? That was where Spock and Kirk were gangsters in a world created because a book was left behind (as well as McCoy's communicator) :) This year, the Spaceship Yonada's generational population should be reaching their new planet over at Star trek Continues. It will be done right. Looking forward to that one...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
updated to include videos.

I have been on a Trek fan film binge from this thread. :) Such cheesy stuff, but I can actually watch most of it! Some of it is just so....basic, that you cant stop grinning.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The Horizons film was good writing and good acting, but the fuzzy background out of focus and overdone lens flares made it hard to watch.

Still, it's pretty good IMO

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This one is straaaaaange......:confused0006: There are characters, there is dialogue, but you do not see characters or any people in the entire thing. Just scenes with cutouts in them moving. There is a scene where the transporter energizes two beings to the surface of a planet but nobody is there. You hear them talking but there is nobody there. There are the familiar Star Trek sound effects, but you do not see phasers or turbolifts or any people in the entire thing.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
From 2012...long but cool to watch. This is the entire TNG cast reunion.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So amateurish....loved it still.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oh wow....Kate Mulgrew is really in this?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Anyone else watch this, know about it?

I have watched about 10m's so far, and seems ok for fan made stuff

so far, what i have gotten from it is; it involves the Iaconians (those ancient would be unifiers of the galaxy who could travel through those window like portals-remember them? )

it is set not long after the events of ENTERPRISE

(and there is just an oodle of fan made ST films on YT, anyone watched them? are any of them any good?)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is in the Nutshell thread. :) Merging.

I thought Horizons showed some talent in the writing and overall execution. And as far as I know it is the only fan production set in the pre-TOS Enterprise era. The others are TOS era. What I did not like is the fuzzed out backgrounds and lens flare. I suspect this was to better use the green screen effects and focus the view on the actors. It was watchable. I would like to see more. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
This is in the Nutshell thread. :) Merging.

I thought Horizons showed some talent in the writing and overall execution. And as far as I know it is the only fan production set in the pre-TOS Enterprise era. The others are TOS era. What I did not like is the fuzzed out backgrounds and lens flare. I suspect this was to better use the green screen effects and focus the view on the actors. It was watchable. I would like to see more. :)

i would like to see more trek from this trek-timeframe in general. based on the old trek "galaxy" not the abrams one

and since this is involving more romulans (didn't get far enough yet to see if this is "the earth -romulus war" or just some skirmish) would like to see someone stick with the continuity of TOS lore and see the federation using "atomic weapons" as Spock once described
--------------------------------------------
and,in general, have you noticed that a lot of the stuff we (in general) enjoy tends to be rather shallow on the origins and backstory?

is this something we are in the minority of or is it something more ppl would be willing to see?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is AWESOME space fighting Star Trek ships vs BSG Base Stars in CGI. Quite an impressive fan made piece: