Star Trek: Discovery: Season 2. The Ultimate Backpedal

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oh my....this is not good for the show and especially for Kurtzman.

Season2STD.PNG

Doomcock published this on Jan 23:

I agree with him, this show is DOOMED. The question is no longer a question. The new question is, how will they terminate this diseased show and will the Picard show still happen?

Twalet Brash

GateFans Member
Not really. Warp drive is not really a gimmick at all, and the Star Trek method is actually being explored by NASA. How? Because the theoretical science behind it is sound: create a zone of space which is warped, and essentially the ship becomes isolated from normal space. Then, you can apply thrust to the bubble and not the ship, allowing it to travel faster than the speed of light. (See Albucuirre Warp Drive).

Close but not quite. The theoretical warp drive shortens space in front of it while stretching space behind it, hence "warping" space, to achieve displacement between two distant points by essentially dragging it towards you (this is a bit of a mind-fuck to understand). There's no actual thrust or physical motion as we understand it. The more space is warped the faster the travel, limited only by the the drive's power output. This allows faster than light travel without breaking Einstein's relativity because, technically, space is moving around you rather than you moving through space.

Twalet Brash

GateFans Member
I agree that they have made several tonal changes in the show, but because of the spore drive and the silly lore they are creating around those red spots, I cannot remotely connect it with Star Trek. That, and the "technology" they are showing us in the show. Magic holographic candles in Burnham's quarters in the first episode along with displays where you can "pinch" images from the screen and toss them into the air? The spinny pod things came right out of the Kelvin movies. I am also tired of the personal threads they have going in the show with Staments and Tilly. I was able to watch the whole episode, but I am still not feeling "Star Trek" in this show at all.

Consider the fact that they're a warp capable civilization with technology that can transport objects through space instantly and replicate objects out of seemingly thin air. Now considering where we are today, hybrid holographic interfaces aren't such a leap. In fact, we have tech today that is further ahead than both TOS and TNG. When it comes to their tech one has to take into account the times the show was filmed in. There is no way that two hundred years from now we'd toss all our advanced tech in the trash to build ships having nothing more than blinking lights and beeping tones.

The problem I have is when they wedge in tech that is far more advanced than anything in future canon. The spore drive is one example. If they had that technology you KNOW they would never have abandoned it. Given how fast Federation technology advances they would eventually have been able to make that thing work without any biological interface. I had the same issue with TNG's phase-shift cloaking device that allowed ships to move through solid objects. There is no way in any reality they would have let that go for the sake of a treaty that leaves Klingons and Romulans with cloaking while the Federation is prohibited from developing one.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Apparently the latest “episode” was the worst episode in the whole STD series. Doomcock ranted about it for about five hours and even the normally more restrained Nerdrotic was just flabbergasted at it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Apparently the latest “episode” was the worst episode in the whole STD series. Doomcock ranted about it for about five hours and even the normally more restrained Nerdrotic was just flabbergasted at it.

May the Prophets strike them all down and throw the writers into the Fire Caves. :facepalm: This is THE WORST episode in all of STD. This includes all Season 1 episodes. Absolutely dreadful. Here is Nerdrotic's take:

This episode is godawful. Really it is. I really don't think we will be seeing a Season 3. My early feelers are revealing a mass disturbance in the force. So much so that it is even felt by sensitives in the Star Trek universe.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I was one of the commenters on Nerdrotic!

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I'm just not gonna look at whatever negative things people have to say about the episode right now. I wanna see where this goes.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm just not gonna look at whatever negative things people have to say about the episode right now. I wanna see where this goes.

Okay, and when you do then comment. Also, it would help to know just how much of a Star Trek fan you consider yourself to be. You know, how long you have been watching, if you were a regular fan, if you have favorite characters or shows, etc. :). I am looking for a pattern in the type of person who likes STD.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
You know, I don't think you need to be a Trek fan for this episode and show to be horrible. It is badly written, poorly acted and the whole underlying theme is basically "Michael Burnham is God". And far from being God she isn't even a good human being.