Star Trek Beyond: SECOND TRAILER

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I wanted to post this days ago but couldn't find an appropriate thread. Since then haven't had time. Might as well post it here.

I saw this. It was a poor quality cam version. I suspect the poor quality helped mask a part of the poor overall quality. This movie is horrible compared to the other movies. I think I'd enjoy watching The Motion Picture more than I would this. Who the hell wrote this crap? Fire them!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Hard to tell. I heard the opposite - that it was far superior to "Into Darkness" and the characters were better but that it is still not really Trek.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
The story was reaaally very basic.

Starship flies to space station.
Unknown shuttle arrives at space station reporting stranded crew in nebula.
Resque mission into nebula turns out to be trap.
Starship crew stranded and captured on planet in nebula after surprise attack.
Attackers venture out to attack space station.
Stranded crew escapes from planet to prevent attack on space station.

That's the whole freaking story right there. Really not a lot to show for in a 2 hour long movie.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The story was reaaally very basic.

Starship flies to space station.
Unknown shuttle arrives at space station reporting stranded crew in nebula.
Resque mission into nebula turns out to be trap.
Starship crew stranded and captured on planet in nebula after surprise attack.
Attackers venture out to attack space station.
Stranded crew escapes from planet to prevent attack on space station.

That's the whole freaking story right there. Really not a lot to show for in a 2 hour long movie.

What really BURNED me is that the newest Enterprise after they fixed it is now the 1701-A :facepalm: I want this Star Trek to die, and fast.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I did watch it. It wasn't good. Original was pretty awesome when it came out. This was pretty meh. Still, more interesting than Star Trek Beyond.

Star Trek Beyond was horrible. More dumbness, doubled down. The bent is all special effects and trying VERY HARD to make this mess seem like Star Trek. The writers keep serving up this crap because they have no idea what direction to go. They do not understand why the Starbase they went to would never have been built like it was. They do not get that starships are not spaceplanes, and they do not fly in atmospheres. They do not get why there should not be a dirtbike on a starship, or why transporters can't beam people out of mid-fall in Beyond, but lose Spock's mother in the 2009 movie.

Let me say it again...the Enterprise was destroyed, and they showed us the new Enterprise 1701-A. :facepalm:. Oh, and should I mention that Bones and Spock had a bonding moment over Uhura and his breakup with her, and he smiled and grinned during the conversation? Yep.

This movie Independence Day Resurgence was better by a longshot.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Have you seen Star Trek Beyond yet?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Have you seen Star Trek Beyond yet?

YES. It's dumb. No wonder they did not release any further trailers or talk about the movie. It was a decent scifi adventure, but it was not at all Star Trek. Three strikes, they should shut it down for good.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That tracks with what I had heard. That it is far better than Into Darkness but still not Trek.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
:P still not over them making Khan into a white guy named Kahn. :P

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
That was in "Into Darkness".

yes I know - didn't mind the first trek (also an original trekkie - from my childhood in the 60's) but turning Khan into a wimpy brit just was too much. So not seeing beyond. :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
:P still not over them making Khan into a white guy named Kahn. :P

Really? Then you will NEVER get over McCoy and NuSpock bonding over his breakup with Uhura, and smiling and grinning throughout the conversation. I mean a full on sparkly toothed smile. Several of them. NuSpock is just a human now, only with pointy ears and a soup bowl haircut.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
yes I know - didn't mind the first trek (also an original trekkie - from my childhood in the 60's) but turning Khan into a wimpy brit just was too much. So not seeing beyond. :P

Don't bother. Your eyes will roll back in your head so much you will be looking at the wall behind you. ;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
No, I had planned to do so this weekend. But if it means my only recourse is suicide I may need to rethink it...:icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
No, I had planned to do so this weekend. But if it means my only recourse is suicide I may need to rethink it...:icon_lol:

Go see it. Your reviews are fun to read and very objective.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I'll probably check it out for free when the library gets it! :P HECKLE TIME!!! We loved heckling russell crowe's noah and christian bales' gods and kings.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I actually could not make it through a second time watching it. It sucks so bad. It isn't that the look of it or the energy level was so awful, because it was beautifully filmed and frenetic in energy level. It was just not Star Trek, You NEVER get the idea that there is a cohesive organization called Starfleet which is overseeing the operations and missions of these starships. It's just the Enterprise out there like some Good Guy Pirate Ship operating by the hem of Kirk's boxer shorts. They never have to follow any protocol, or follow any orders or report to Admirals, they just go wherever the solar wind blows them. The villian played by Idris Elba seemed downright silly the second time around.

Ugh.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I did more detailed thoughts about this film here:

http://www.gatefans.net/gforums/threads/star-trek-beyond-thoughts.28398/

Long story short - I liked it overall and think it is a FAR better film than Into Darkness, and indeed is the most Trek-like film of the reboot trilogy. Into Darkness was both painful to watch and introduced a host of ludicrous nonsense (Magic Blood, USS Vengeance, Transwarp Beaming, British Khan, etc.) that are canonically garbage.

This was fun to watch and Lin and Pegg deliberately ignored all the garbage (I gathered they did not have the authority to outright retcon the crap out).