Star Trek Beyond: SECOND TRAILER

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Star Trek Beyond was horrible. More dumbness, doubled down. The bent is all special effects and trying VERY HARD to make this mess seem like Star Trek. The writers keep serving up this crap because they have no idea what direction to go. They do not understand why the Starbase they went to would never have been built like it was. They do not get that starships are not spaceplanes, and they do not fly in atmospheres. They do not get why there should not be a dirtbike on a starship, or why transporters can't beam people out of mid-fall in Beyond, but lose Spock's mother in the 2009 movie.

Let me say it again...the Enterprise was destroyed, and they showed us the new Enterprise 1701-A. :facepalm:. Oh, and should I mention that Bones and Spock had a bonding moment over Uhura and his breakup with her, and he smiled and grinned during the conversation? Yep.

This movie Independence Day Resurgence was better by a longshot.
Honestly after watching Star trek beyond, it was like watching Star Wars, not Star Trek. If this was called Star wars, fans would have enjoyed it, but was me or did the actors say very little on screen? At least the 2009 version had some dialogue, this thing was...*Spoiler alert*
just they enter into space, they are attacked by enemies, and then all of a sudden, their big ship crash land into a planet, someone the main characters survive and the rest of the crew member, who knows what happened to them, a few people are captured, they are rescued afterwards from an unknown alien race and that is the end of that.
Like, what the fuck?

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
It just wasn't Star Trek. Those space battles reminded me of Star Wars and that's not really Star Trek. The way most of the scenes were shot, the fight scenes, the chemistry between the characters just didn't feel like Star Trek. Visually, it was stunning but there was NO Sci-Fi in it. The warp drive looked more like the Slipstream drive or something and it was poorly written nothing really engaging. I found myself checking facebook or reading something else during the movie. In addition, I also noticed how similar it was when things were blowing they had that silence they used that same technique in attack of the Clones.

This is Space Opera not Sci-Fi

4/10 - Only for the graphics

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It just wasn't Star Trek. Those space battles reminded me of Star Wars and that's not really Star Trek. The way most of the scenes were shot, the fight scenes, the chemistry between the characters just didn't feel like Star Trek. Visually, it was stunning but there was NO Sci-Fi in it. The warp drive looked more like the Slipstream drive or something and it was poorly written nothing really engaging. I found myself checking facebook or reading something else during the movie. In addition, I also noticed how similar it was when things were blowing they had that silence they used that same technique in attack of the Clones.

This is Space Opera not Sci-Fi

4/10 - Only for the graphics

What you said is the closest thing to what I got from it. Visually, stunning. But not Star Trek. The warp drive also looked too alien and non-functional to me. And most of all, NO Sci-Fi! None. But bits in there were decidedly ANTI-Sci-Fi, veering off into fantasy. And as bad as it is, I see exactly why some younger folk are falling for it. Shiny, explodey and pretty. :moody:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Honestly after watching Star trek beyond, it was like watching Star Wars, not Star Trek. If this was called Star wars, fans would have enjoyed it, but was me or did the actors say very little on screen? At least the 2009 version had some dialogue, this thing was...*Spoiler alert*
just they enter into space, they are attacked by enemies, and then all of a sudden, their big ship crash land into a planet, someone the main characters survive and the rest of the crew member, who knows what happened to them, a few people are captured, they are rescued afterwards from an unknown alien race and that is the end of that.
Like, what the fuck?

I have to say, Rogue One has won me over all the NuTrek films. I really, really liked it a whole lot. It was more cohesive and the effects were better balanced with the story. I mean, did we really have to watch them jump start an older starship? Did we really have to see 1701-A? It isn't time for that, and although I am glad they destroyed the twin-hairdryer powered Enterprise 1701 GT, I am not happy about 1701-A. And that stupid planet and the villian played by Idris Alba. Contrived, not inspired. Ugh.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I disagree on Star Trek Beyond, but that discussion was already had in a different thread.

Rogue One is for me perplexing in that visually I loved what they did. The story wasn't bad either. But the dull and lifeless characters and the excessive fan service dragged it back some. Strangely enough Gareth Edwards 2014 Godzilla had the same strengths and weaknesses (visual treat with deadly dull human characters). I'd give it a 'B'.