Star Trek 3 to be like TV series

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Remember that Lindelof was not on board for 09. He came on for Into Darkness and he created that trajectory.

Thankfully he's gone. So is Abrams and so are Kurtzman and Orci. Justin Lin is now at the helm and the script is being written by Simon Pegg. So hopefully we get a saner take on Trek.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Remember that Lindelof was not on board for 09. He came on for Into Darkness and he created that trajectory.

Thankfully he's gone. So is Abrams and so are Kurtzman and Orci. Justin Lin is now at the helm and the script is being written by Simon Pegg. So hopefully we get a saner take on Trek.

Wait...huh? :(

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0670408/#writer

Selection_002.png

This man is a comedic writer. :( :facepalm: Simon Pegg is not intellectually sophisticated enough to give us a smart Star Trek script.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I wouldn't call Simon Pegg not intellectually sophisticated just because his prior credits are tilted towards comedy.

His credits include Shaun of the Dead (comedy with a twist), Hot Fuzz (same), The World's End (Science Fiction with comic elements), Spaced (well written series) and others. He's no slouch with a pen.

His comments recently about writing the ST3 script:

“I’m busy writing it,” the actor said. “It’s an ongoing thing. I’m sure we’ll be finessing it, right through the shoot. You never really, truly start writing a movie until the edit. There’s a whole new lexicon that you’re confronted with, when you’ve shot the movie, which is the visual language that you don’t have on the page. And then, you start to realize, “Hang on, we don’t need that speech because that look says it all.” So, it will be an ongoing thing, right until next year.”

“It’s weird to walk into something and take ownership of it, in a way,” he adds. “Everything else that I’ve written has been mine, from the very germ of the first idea, or shared with Edgar [Wright] or Nick [Frost]. But with this, I’m walking into a realm that doesn’t belong to me, and I have to treat it with a degree of respect. Obviously, I always treat things with respect, by I have to abide by certain rules and do right by the original series, and not be too post-modern with it and not be too aware of itself. I have to try to take on the spirit of the show, rather than fill it with stuff that people will just go, “Oh, yeah, that’s from episode something or other.” It’s more than that.”

This in and of itself sounds better than Lindelof as Pegg recognizes the need to actually hit the spirit of the original and not just "drop names".

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I wouldn't call Simon Pegg not intellectually sophisticated just because his prior credits are tilted towards comedy.

His credits include Shaun of the Dead (comedy with a twist), Hot Fuzz (same), The World's End (Science Fiction with comic elements), Spaced (well written series) and others. He's no slouch with a pen.

His comments recently about writing the ST3 script:

This in and of itself sounds better than Lindelof as Pegg recognizes the need to actually hit the spirit of the original and not just "drop names".

Oh, Im not calling him a schlep writer, I am pointing out that he is a comedic writer and not a dramatic writer and most certainly nowhere near a science fiction writer. I would not want him to attempt to write Stargate or Firefly either. I do not think that allowing a comedic writer to tackle a Star Trek script is a good idea at all.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The question is "what does he need to be"? He is a talented writer (as proven by his past work) and a rabid science fiction buff (one reason why The World's End is basically science fiction with a comedic veneer on it). Plus his statement that he needs to hit the spirit of the original as opposed to reference dropping and also to not get overly post modern are indirect slaps at Lindelof (who did exactly those things).

Based on his past work and his being a SciFi geek, I am willing to give him a fair shot at it. Lest we forget that even TOS did not have every episode written by science fiction authors (although they were fortunate to have Harlan Ellison, Norman Spinrad and Jerome Bixby on hand as those three created a lot of basic plot threads in TOS in the episodes they wrote/directed/co-wrote). John Meredyth Lucas did some of their more remembered episodes and he was noted for writing Westerns for example. Ditto Samuel Peeples.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The question is "what does he need to be"? He is a talented writer (as proven by his past work) and a rabid science fiction buff (one reason why The World's End is basically science fiction with a comedic veneer on it). Plus his statement that he needs to hit the spirit of the original as opposed to reference dropping and also to not get overly post modern are indirect slaps at Lindelof (who did exactly those things).

He cant deliver what NuTrek needs, which is a serious dramatic writer with a working understanding of science (at least Trek pretend-science). I don't think they can go comedy yet...although many Trek episodes in TOS were for comedic effect. I find it amusing that he is referring to the "spirit of the original" when he has no idea what that really means. He loved STID, which means he cant possibly understand what the spirit of the original Trek is.

Based on his past work and his being a SciFi geek, I am willing to give him a fair shot at it. Lest we forget that even TOS did not have every episode written by science fiction authors (although they were fortunate to have Harlan Ellison, Norman Spinrad and Jerome Bixby on hand as those three created a lot of basic plot threads in TOS in the episodes they wrote/directed/co-wrote). John Meredyth Lucas did some of their more remembered episodes and he was noted for writing Westerns for example. Ditto Samuel Peeples.

Its not like we have a choice, is it? :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I'm definitely more optimistic with Simon Pegg manning the helm on ST3. Orci and company have prove themselves to be derelict when giving us true ST. But Pegg seems to be a true "Trekkie" so I think there's some hope there. With luck maybe he can salvage some of what we love about ST. (I admit I'm cautious about this "corrected for a slighter more enlightened generation" garbage. God only knows what that means.)

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/s/star-trek-3-reflects-spirit-tv-show-simon-164207436.html

Pegg, who will return to play engineering chief Scotty, also said that the new film will be infused with the same optimism and sense of adventure that characterized the original stories.

“And it’s a story about frontierism and adventure and optimism and fun, and that’s where we want to take it, you know, where no man has gone before – where no one has gone before, sensibly corrected for a slighter more enlightened generation,” he said. “But yeah, that’s the mood at the moment.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
No matter how it turns out a Star Trek movie will be coming.

Justin Lin's name has finally been associated with a local film project - "Washington". With the shenanigans our local production people like to pull I am slightly doubtful that they will be filming a movie about the state and definitely not about the man himself.

So most likely "Trek" it is from June 15th to October 15th. Seems like a long shoot, especially if they are dropping by South Korea.

By the looks of it they are sharing studios this summer with "The Flash" and "Arrow". I was hoping for some sort of unified set, which would herald the arrival of a new Star Trek series. Oh, well!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
We already know Lin is the director and Pegg the writer. I'm cautiously optimistic. Pegg is much more a scifi and Trek fan than the prior writers (namely "writer" Damon Lindelof who is directly responsible for the Into Darkness fiasco) and his prior work shows he knows his trade. Ditto Lin, who has done both action and drama very well.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Interestingly to me Paul was the only Pegg film I would call a misfire - but that was much more on the directing than anything on the script (which was a satire on the whole "UFO conspiracy theory" spiel). Greg Molotta just did not understand how to get gold out of Nick Frost and Simon Pegg (which Edgar Wright does) and Seth Rogen was also in it and as always was an abomination.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I'm definitely more optimistic with Simon Pegg manning the helm on ST3. Orci and company have prove themselves to be derelict when giving us true ST. But Pegg seems to be a true "Trekkie" so I think there's some hope there. With luck maybe he can salvage some of what we love about ST. (I admit I'm cautious about this "corrected for a slighter more enlightened generation" garbage. God only knows what that means.)

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/s/star-trek-3-reflects-spirit-tv-show-simon-164207436.html

Pegg, who will return to play engineering chief Scotty, also said that the new film will be infused with the same optimism and sense of adventure that characterized the original stories.

“And it’s a story about frontierism and adventure and optimism and fun, and that’s where we want to take it, you know, where no man has gone before – where no one has gone before, sensibly corrected for a slighter more enlightened generation,” he said. “But yeah, that’s the mood at the moment.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please get rid of the brewery in engineering! That has to be among the top stupidest ideas to come out of the Abrams camp.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Please get rid of the brewery in engineering! That has to be among the top stupidest ideas to come out of the Abrams camp.

That's because the Abrams camp is filled with pseudo-hipsters. They no doubt think it's clever to "subliminally" insert a beer reference because hipsters love beer (lousy beer). Pseudo-hipsters don't love beer but as posers they have to pretend to like it, which is exactly what those douche bags on Abrams production team are doing...because they're douche bags and can't help it. Here's to them all getting a virulent yeast infection from some poorly brewed India Pale Ale that eats a hole right through their respective groins. ;)

*And to my mind the only thing worse than a hipster is a pseudo-hipster; i.e. someone who seeks to emulate certain traits of hipsterism without really committing to it, much like that twat waffle JJ Abrams.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Yep, right up there with blowing up Vulcan, shipping Uhura and Spock, and field promotions to Captain, First Officer, etc etc. I thought just the Klingons promoted that way? Still too much wrong with the BASICS to just move forward like there isnt anything wrong.

Who needs the Neutral Zone when you can just beam to Romulus or Quo'nos with a freakin suitcase? Q must be jealous.

Last edited:

Bluce Ree

Yep, right up there with blowing up Vulcan. shipping Uhura and Spock, and field promotions to Captain, First Officer, etc etc. I thought just the Klingons promoted that way? Still too much wrong with the BASICS to just move forward like there isnt anything wrong.

Who needs the Neutral Zone when you can just beam to Romulus or Quo'nos with a freakin suitcase? Q must be jealous.

OMG! You're a genius! They could have Q step in and correct everything. :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OMG! You're a genius! They could have Q step in and correct everything. :D

Heeeeeyyyyyy! Wouldnt that be something? They can always use Q to restore the original timeline.

Bluce Ree

Heeeeeyyyyyy! Wouldnt that be something? They can always use Q to restore the original timeline.

Well, if they make a series based on this timeline, I would love to have him make an appearance just to hear his wisecracks about how we've screwed everything up again. :icon_lol:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Well, if they make a series based on this timeline, I would love to have him make an appearance just to hear his wisecracks about how we've screwed everything up again. :icon_lol:

I wonder how they would handle that with an actor. I mean, Q is an omnipotent creature so why would he age the way John de Lancie has? (Data too btw.) Would they just completely recast the role?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I wonder how they would handle that with an actor. I mean, Q is an omnipotent creature so why would he age the way John de Lancie has? (Data too btw.) Would they just completely recast the role?
Q can look like whatever he want's, so that is not much of an issue. They listened to old spock, why not old Q?
GET OFF MY UNIVERSE!!! :)