Spartacus: Vengeance (Season 2)

G

Graybrew1

Yes, I wonder if that other chick will survive or die too. She collapsed but she could survive. A doctor was already sent for if you remember.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
Yes, I wonder if that other chick will survive or die too. She collapsed but she could survive. A doctor was already sent for if you remember.
she'll most likly be around next season... maybe even continuing the baby snatching tradition...

G

Graybrew1

I think she will survive too. She will be out for vengance for the loss of her husband as well.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
here is a trailer for season 3 "war of the damned" For someone like myself who is really into history, it drives me kind of batty when I read comments (@ "tvguide.com") like "I don't understand why they are cancelling Spartacus after season 3, its such a good show". Obviously they do not know history, and to top it off they have obviously not even used this device we are sitting in front of to look it up--heck they probably think Spart.is just a 'made up' character. If you look to the Roman writers, the actual history of Spartacus would be a 2 episode event, at most. That being said, the runners of this show have done a good job of sticking to history and culture of the time. They are good at filling in the historical blanks. The only issue i have is their obvious use of multi cultural actors--mostly in crowd shots--to make it acceptable for those who would be otherwise offended. If they show a chinese guy, I am out!

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
here is a trailer for season 3 "war of the damned" For someone like myself who is really into history, it drives me kind of batty when I read comments (@ "tvguide.com") like "I don't understand why they are cancelling Spartacus after season 3, its such a good show". Obviously they do not know history, and to top it off they have obviously not even used this device we are sitting in front of to look it up--heck they probably think Spart.is just a 'made up' character. If you look to the Roman writers, the actual history of Spartacus would be a 2 episode event, at most. That being said, the runners of this show have done a good job of sticking to history and culture of the time. They are good at filling in the historical blanks. The only issue i have is their obvious use of multi cultural actors--mostly in crowd shots--to make it acceptable for those who would be otherwise offended. If they show a chinese guy, I am out!

I've sort of missed this show so I will be happy to see how they wrap it up. As to multi cultural actors, the Romans did control a ton of territory in their day so it makes sense to me that they would have slaves from all over.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I've sort of missed this show so I will be happy to see how they wrap it up. As to multi cultural actors, the Romans did control a ton of territory in their day so it makes sense to me that they would have slaves from all over.

yes-but this is set in Roman Republic times. the 'empire' was not yet that big. their use of africans (blacks) in the crowd are depicted as citizens and not slaves

from the trailer--and knowing of the battles to come--should be a very bloody season!!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Historically, do we know if they had a racially diverse group of gladiators? Now I'm not talking about the people they would throw to the lions for entertainment but rather, I'm speaking of the men that trained and fought as gladiators.

I do know they had arenas down in Africa even so it would be interesting to know who they allowed to fight (for honor and glory) and who they restricted to just being tiger fodder.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I think it was a best of the crop situation. Not that the Romans were free-market capitalists, but I suspect they liked a good show at the coliseum.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I think it was a best of the crop situation. Not that the Romans were free-market capitalists, but I suspect they liked a good show at the coliseum.

Or was it like TV is today? 500 arenas and nothing worth watching. :moody:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
they brought in people as slaves from all over. the imp thing is the timing. During this period slaves were only brought in from those conquered areas that the Romans (specifically the "trading companies" that exploited conquered territories) were allowed to control. At this point in time (80's BC) the Romans mainly went where they were 'invited'. In the case of Spartacus--whatever the particulars--he was a Thracian -no one knows exactly what was his 'profession', who was captured when Greek and Ionian (asia minor) greeks 'invited' their Roman allies to come and help fight of Mithridates who was threatening their lands and even trying to expand into Sicily and south Italy by way of "inheriting" Greek lands willed to him. So in terms of the eventual Roman Empire-Rome was still quite small.

Any blacks or mid-easterners would have came to their possession from 'invited to' conquest or perhaps given as gifts from Greek allies. That is why I say that chances of their have been any Roman citizens who were black at this time was next to nil. The roman province of 'Africa' at the time only consisted of the coastal areas immediately around modern day coastal Tunisia, Algeria and west Libya. The greeks still controlled Egypt & east Libya. Those areas Roman were conquered Carthaginian territory that had been devastated, depopulated and used as a roman farming colony (africa was much more 'green' then).

Any black slaves or gladiators might have come from the fringes of this area in the form of captured Tuareg tribes people. Every one else in this area was white at the time. Most slaves would have been self-indentured Italians, captured Italians from the north, Gauls and Greeks and 'syrians'. The chances of any 'germans' being captured at this time would be slim as well. The germans were not encountered until about 20 years later when Caesar conguered all of Gaul (france).

the map may help a bit--green is pre-carthage war, orange is post Mithridatic war:

250px-Expansion_of_Rome,_2nd_century_BC.gif

history geek much? yes