SOPA/PIPA is back but in a new Form

heisenberg

Earl Grey
The EU's plans to modernize copyright law in Europe are moving ahead. The Legal Affairs Committee of the Parliament (JURI) just adopted several proposals, including the controversial "upload filters." Pirate Party MEP Julia Reda is disappointed but notes that the fight is not over yet.

https://torrentfreak.com/eu-parliam...avor-of-piracy-upload-filter-proposal-180620/

What the fuck. This needs to be plugged here and then. If this thing gets passed, it's only a matter of time, that other countries start doing the same thing.

Last edited:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Maybe it's just me being ignorant, but I just read that article and didn't find anything about it which concerns me. Much more explanation is needed in order for me to see how this could potentially affect me. And if I can't see how this should be worrisome for me, then that means that 99% of the population of the earth will have absolutely no clue whatsoever about it, since I fall in the 99 percentile. (not wanting to toot my own horn)

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Maybe it's just me being ignorant, but I just read that article and didn't find anything about it which concerns me. Much more explanation is needed in order for me to see how this could potentially affect me. And if I can't see how this should be worrisome for me, then that means that 99% of the population of the earth will have absolutely no clue whatsoever about it, since I fall in the 99 percentile. (not wanting to toot my own horn)
Article 13 wants to scan every single file uploaded that apparently breaches copyright. This removes freedom. It's a horrible thing to do.
That would never work here in the US.
Dude, this is the seed that's planted. You don't think they'll do it here? The internet has no borders but they've placed geo restrictions on sites and do DNS poisoining. I think you need to have a read of how destructive this bill is.

Article 13
This section of the directive will completely reconfigure websites' responsibilities when it comes to enforcing copyrights. Until now, the so-called Ecommerce Directive has given online platforms broad protection from being subject to copyright penalties when they simply acted as a conduit for user uploads.

It's very similar to the laws in the US that exempt YouTube from penalties as long as its making its best effort to take down infringing material when it's reported. YouTube uses an automated content recognition system combined with an army of human beings to review the material users' upload. It costs the company millions of dollars to do this.

Critics of Article 13 say that every popular platform - estimated to mean the top 20 per cent - that allows users to post text, sounds, code, still or moving images will need one of these systems.

Article 11 has been variously called the link tax or the snippet tax.

Designed to mitigate the power over publishers that Google and Facebook have amassed in the last decade, it codifies a new copyright rule for linking to news organisations and quoting text from their stories. Online platforms will have to pay for a licence to link out to news publishers, and this will theoretically help support organisations that are vital for public information and drive users to their homepages.

That all sounds decent in principle, but Article 11 doesn't bother to even define what constitutes a link. Details will be left to the 28 individual countries in the EU to figure that out. That opens the door for political abuse of how news is spread in each country, and it will likely have the opposite of its intended effect.

So article 13 will censor the internet and could ban things like memes/linking to youtube/movie clips and article 11 will mean that publishers will want to be paid for posting their link. How do you not see this as being disastrous? This will mean forums will die off completely.

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2018/06/the-end-of-all-thats-good-and-pure-about-the-internet/

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Article 13 wants to scan every single file uploaded that apparently breaches copyright. This removes freedom. It's a horrible thing to do.

Dude, this is the seed that's planted. You don't think they'll do it here? The internet has no borders but they've placed geo restrictions on sites and do DNS poisoining. I think you need to have a read of how destructive this bill is.

So article 13 will censor the internet and could ban things like memes/linking to youtube/movie clips and article 11 will mean that publishers will want to be paid for posting their link. How do you not see this as being disastrous? This will mean forums will die off completely.

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2018/06/the-end-of-all-thats-good-and-pure-about-the-internet/

The geeks would attack en masse (hello Anonymous), bringing everything to a halt. They would mostly target ISPs and the infrastructure itself. Citizens would revolt as well. It isn't going to happen. Just like A.I. taking over is not going to happen. Americans have made their entire history on rebellion.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I see your points now, thanks. I can also see the reasoning behind these new rules. In a way there are benefits to them which for now appear unwanted, but those could in the future become necessary to have. Maybe 20 years from now it would not be possible to have an internet without such rules, or even 5 years since in the tech world things move a lot quicker than in the "real" world. I'm not exactly a fan of such things as I enjoy my freedom on the internet and I wish it to remain free as much as possible. Right now however the internet could be compared to for example the wild west. Upstanding people on the one hand trying to make an honest living for themselves and gunslingers on the other hand going about raping and pillaging and killing and whatnot. I think it's a good thing that the real world is not like the wild west anymore, well for the most part at least. Perhaps it's not such a bad thing for the internet to become more regulated as well. I just hope that money isn't the driving factor behind it.

(Why the fuck is Opera underlining "internet" in red every time I write it. Isn't that a proper word? If not, it should be.)

I highly doubt that forums would die because of this thing. So you can't post a link, then just say that you read something on that website and tell it in your own words. Then you have author rights to what you wrote. I also don't think that companies wouldn't allow anybody to post links to their articles. Links are what the entire internet is built on for Christ's sake. Without linking there is no internet. O, so you don't want me to post this link to your article? Well, let me then not post the link but instead write a post about how you would not allow someone to post a link without paying for it. Let's see how long your website lasts with that kind of publicity going against you while there will be other websites who would be happy to have people link to them. It doesn't make any sense.

Then there's of course a good chance of a rogue internet being created due to over-regulation which would be specifically constructed to prevent regulation from being possible. There is already a gigantic darkweb out there where you can buy anything at the click of a button. Guns, drugs, people, you name it. Don't ask me where, I've never been to such a part of the internet, but I know that it exists and if governments all over the world haven't been able to shut those places down in the last two decades, how are these rules going to change anything there? If they do, they'll just find another way around it. The Piratebay is still out there and easily accessible for anyone, and that is just one place for people to get stuff and it is probably only mildly "criminal" compared to the other stuff I just mentioned. They've been trying to get rid of that site for a long time, but it's there. And if they get rid of it today then an hour later it will be right back, because they have contingency plans for the next decade. The internet is just a really really free place right now and they are trying to get a handle on it, but I don't think they will anytime soon if even ever.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
The geeks would attack en masse (hello Anonymous), bringing everything to a halt. They would mostly target ISPs and the infrastructure itself. Citizens would revolt as well. It isn't going to happen. Just like A.I. taking over is not going to happen. Americans have made their entire history on rebellion.
Don't get me started on those cowards. They don't do SHIT. They give idle threats that only temporary disrupt but the very next day, it's business as usual. You claim that america rebels against change, yeah that's why life is so unfair still and why the rich continue to get richer.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Don't get me started on those cowards. They don't do SHIT. They give idle threats that only temporary disrupt but the very next day, it's business as usual. You claim that america rebels against change, yeah that's why life is so unfair still and why the rich continue to get richer.
Which cowards? Not the geeks. They have demonstrated their power countless times. You seem to be expecting instant change.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Which cowards? Not the geeks. They have demonstrated their power countless times. You seem to be expecting instant change.
The anonymous guys that go we are anonymous. This is destructive dude. This will result in a police style/fascism and is a slippery slope to neo nazi germany all over again. You won't be able to make jokes. Hell, if they push this far enough, they could arrest everyone and impose prison sentence like they do in the US for people who have minor drug offences but I think this is what these sociopaths want.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I see your points now, thanks. I can also see the reasoning behind these new rules. In a way there are benefits to them which for now appear unwanted, but those could in the future become necessary to have. Maybe 20 years from now it would not be possible to have an internet without such rules, or even 5 years since in the tech world things move a lot quicker than in the "real" world. I'm not exactly a fan of such things as I enjoy my freedom on the internet and I wish it to remain free as much as possible. Right now however the internet could be compared to for example the wild west. Upstanding people on the one hand trying to make an honest living for themselves and gunslingers on the other hand going about raping and pillaging and killing and whatnot. I think it's a good thing that the real world is not like the wild west anymore, well for the most part at least. Perhaps it's not such a bad thing for the internet to become more regulated as well. I just hope that money isn't the driving factor behind it.

(Why the fuck is Opera underlining "internet" in red every time I write it. Isn't that a proper word? If not, it should be.)

I highly doubt that forums would die because of this thing. So you can't post a link, then just say that you read something on that website and tell it in your own words. Then you have author rights to what you wrote. I also don't think that companies wouldn't allow anybody to post links to their articles. Links are what the entire internet is built on for Christ's sake. Without linking there is no internet. O, so you don't want me to post this link to your article? Well, let me then not post the link but instead write a post about how you would not allow someone to post a link without paying for it. Let's see how long your website lasts with that kind of publicity going against you while there will be other websites who would be happy to have people link to them. It doesn't make any sense.

Then there's of course a good chance of a rogue internet being created due to over-regulation which would be specifically constructed to prevent regulation from being possible. There is already a gigantic darkweb out there where you can buy anything at the click of a button. Guns, drugs, people, you name it. Don't ask me where, I've never been to such a part of the internet, but I know that it exists and if governments all over the world haven't been able to shut those places down in the last two decades, how are these rules going to change anything there? If they do, they'll just find another way around it. The Piratebay is still out there and easily accessible for anyone, and that is just one place for people to get stuff and it is probably only mildly "criminal" compared to the other stuff I just mentioned. They've been trying to get rid of that site for a long time, but it's there. And if they get rid of it today then an hour later it will be right back, because they have contingency plans for the next decade. The internet is just a really really free place right now and they are trying to get a handle on it, but I don't think they will anytime soon if even ever.

The internet is the last refuge for total freedom but even then there have been laws passed to force people to pay and jail them because they didn't pay. The internet is where we share our thoughts/dreams/aspirations, but dumb people continue to allow these rich cock suckers that don't give a shit about humanity other than accumulate an obscene amount of wealth for their own selfish benefit but what they do is they know that most people can't manage money.

The Super rich either can get shit for free, or don't pay taxes or get a nice discount so they don't need to pay a lot.

See the thing is I don't trust the super rich. Well the people in power. If the people in power gave a shit about the people around them, everything would be free and there won't be wars but wars are started for a reason. It's obviously down to power struggle and the wanting for need for finite resource and some sociopath will go to extreme measures to claim the territory they want.If they don't like someone, they'll play mind games and political games to get rid of people or ban them outright. This is what we are doing to the world today.

The problem is the rogue internet can be made, but then it turns dark because entropy rules this universe. Like with everything, it all starts off as a great idea but always turns bad no matter how you look at it.

This is why I don't trust AI. AI will put business ahead of people. We are doing this now,and you can be sure we are going to do with our own people. If you don't want to believe me, then go read about Unit 731, how the Jews were treated by the Nazis, how America Treated Vietnamese people during the Vietnam war, why we had the Gulf war, and why we had the cold war where sociopaths literally destroyed everything. We will be forced to give up more than just money but our freedom too and we will be all forced to be slave to the AI. If you resist, you will be assimilated. Anyone who can't see that there is going to be war between man and machine is kidding themselves.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
quote from post above (a linked article?)

"The EU's plans to modernize copyright law in Europe are moving ahead. The Legal Affairs Committee of the Parliament (JURI) "

the EU is a political entity

the 'legal affairs committee of the parliament"

both of these are also political entities

talking of "bills" "legislation" and "articles" is ENTIRELY political (the words in this context, themselves are entirely political ones!) by the same set of reasoning applied to other threads edited and or removed from view as being "political"

the legislation discussed in more then likely being done for politica lreasons

defi WAYYY more political then the US's new DoD addition :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
quote from post above (a linked article?)

"The EU's plans to modernize copyright law in Europe are moving ahead. The Legal Affairs Committee of the Parliament (JURI) "

the EU is a political entity

the 'legal affairs committee of the parliament"

both of these are also political entities

talking of "bills" "legislation" and "articles" is ENTIRELY political (the words in this context, themselves are entirely political ones!) by the same set of reasoning applied to other threads edited and or removed from view as being "political"

the legislation discussed in more then likely being done for politica lreasons

defi WAYYY more political then the US's new DoD addition :)

The internet and the laws surrounding it and the political "weapons" being used against it are political in nature, but the internet is not the military. The core of the thread is not political or about the military. Nothing about the military relates to science fiction except it's portrayal in shows like The Expanse and Star Trek and SG-1 and others like the Starship Troopers. That space military thread I moved is 100% political, not relating to anything we talk about here these days. :)

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
He does have a point. There is a political link.

Though I feel this topic would fall under society and technology more than politics.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
That space military thread I moved is 100% political, not relating to anything we talk about here these days

oh we dont talk about SPACEX or other space exploration/exploitation events? sure we do. in these the SPACE DEPT will be a lateral player wit hthe private companies. perhaps even working with them, just like civvie contractors work with and for the military now--not political

it is not about the military but what the military would be doing there in terms of exploration,experimentation, delivery systems to orbit, etc

this now, is the birth age of all those things we do see later in fiction;sci fi, future fi,etc. that is the groundwork had to have been done by someone in those backstories. We are talking about what SPACEX and others are doing now to build those possible futures in space

we talk about NASA here, and by your broad definitions then NASA is a political topic as well

so what if the SPACE DEPT is the first to build a moon base that will be used for research like the space station is now? what is it is to serve as a jump off/launch facility for deeper missions--like establishing the groundwork and early construction needed on asteroids where them future Belters are going to live?

it only needs to be "political" if you force the discussion that way.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
oh we dont talk about SPACEX or other space exploration/exploitation events? sure we do. in these the SPACE DEPT will be a lateral player wit hthe private companies. perhaps even working with them, just like civvie contractors work with and for the military now--not political

Nothing the military does is NOT political. Everything they do is carrying out a political agenda. They are not a source of ideas, science, goods or services. They are an arm of government with either threatens other nations, attacks them or intimidates them.

it is not about the military but what the military would be doing there in terms of exploration,experimentation, delivery systems to orbit, etc

The military does none of those things.

this now, is the birth age of all those things we do see later in fiction;sci fi, future fi,etc. that is the groundwork had to have been done by someone in those backstories. We are talking about what SPACEX and others are doing now to build those possible futures in space

Okay, but what does that have to do with the military?

we talk about NASA here, and by your broad definitions then NASA is a political topic as well

Nope. NASA may depend on political agendas for funding, and many of the assignments and directives they get are politically motivated, but they themselves are not a political entity or an arm of one.

so what if the SPACE DEPT is the first to build a moon base that will be used for research like the space station is now? what is it is to serve as a jump off/launch facility for deeper missions--like establishing the groundwork and early construction needed on asteroids where them future Belters are going to live?

it only needs to be "political" if you force the discussion that way.

The military is not in the business of building anything except bases, and they get others to do that. The military does not invent anything they use, they do not develop the science or technology to do it, and they will never be in a leadership role in the future of Mankind.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

"That would never work here in the US."

I stand on my statement. The problem with music torrenting is not having access to a website, it is DRM. Games have addressed pirating and very few if any of the premium games can be pirated these days. There is Steam and the other gaming clients which are required to play certain games. There is definite effort being put into stopping that practice. The music industry is a parasite on the artists who create it, unlike the creator/promoter relationship game developers have with their creatives. Much of what the music industry does can be done by the artist. Give the artist the ability to cut distribution deals, use social media for promotion like they are already doing, have a way to distribute the music from behind a paywall, and there you have it. Artists being paid only a million for 10 million people listening to their art is a ripoff.