Sony's PS4 says "screw you" to DRM

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/06/11/sony-has-microsofts-xbox-one-in-its-crosshairs.aspx

With its announcement on Monday, Sony undercut the Xbox One's price by $100 while emphasizing that the PS4 will not incorporate new DRM restrictions. With these two moves, Sony has positioned itself to become the clear winner in this generation of video game consoles.

Meanwhile, Microsoft finds itself on the defensive, as it needs to justify both draconian DRM restrictions and a high price tag.

Microsoft shoots itself in the foot once again. As MS becomes more and more controlling of its users and intrusive in their privacy, other companies are realizing there is a market huge potential from a growing backlash.

When one of the biggest media companies on the planet (movies, music, video games) says they don't need DRM by excluding it from their own electronic devices, it says something significant.

I'm on board with the new PS4. Sign me up for a console right now!

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/06/11/sony-has-microsofts-xbox-one-in-its-crosshairs.aspx

Microsoft shoots itself in the foot once again. As MS becomes more and more controlling of its users and intrusive in their privacy, other companies are realizing there is a market huge potential from a growing backlash.

When one of the biggest media companies on the planet (movies, music, video games) says they don't need DRM by excluding it from their own electronic devices, it says something significant.

I'm on board with the new PS4. Sign me up for a console right now!

1+ especially with games like this coming out...

Bluce Ree

1+ especially with games like this coming out...

It's good to have you back, bro.

The new games and the specs of the new console alone are enough to sway people away from MS. The rest, like the anti-DRM stuff, is just Belgian chocolate icing on an already deliciously irresistible cake.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The only complaint I have is that I don't feel like I'm done with my PS3 yet. :anim_59:

*Oh yeah -- Xbox sucks bags full of festering donkey balls.

OMNI

It's good to have you back, bro.

The new games and the specs of the new console alone are enough to sway people away from MS. The rest, like the anti-DRM stuff, is just Belgian chocolate icing on an already deliciously irresistible cake.
whoa whoa whoa!!! hold yer horses there just a minute pilgrim no one said anything about that now.

now here are my demands!

1, i want 1 blowjob a day dont matter from who or maybe not from jim as theres no telling where hes been....

2, i reqiure a minimum of no less then 5 ego strokings a day

3, and a coke!

sound good? good!

smiley_psychotic_sticker-p217586278362347030qjcl_400.jpg

--- merged: Jun 12, 2013 at 11:57 AM ---
in all seriousness tho F the Xbox if i am buying ANYTHING it would be the PS4 tho im hoping the games i want will be ported to PC.

Bluce Ree

whoa whoa whoa!!! hold yer horses there just a minute pilgrim no one said anything about that now.

now here are my demands!

1, i want 1 blowjob a day dont matter from who or maybe not from jim as theres no telling where hes been....

3, and a coke!

sound good? good!

in all seriousness tho F the Xbox if i am buying ANYTHING it would be the PS4 tho im hoping the games i want will be ported to PC.

Got your coke, no problem. Don't mind the ego thing, either, so I'll get it started:

<ego>
You're the best, dude!
You rock!
If Syfylys hired you for their CGI, it would blow away their ratings and their Saturday shyte would rock!
</ego>

Ok, that's three. Maybe OM1 or Ape can throw in two more.

As far as blows, the only blows coming from me will involve fists, so, I suppose that's probably not what you're after. Therefore, I nominate Jim. Just ask him to wear a plastic bag in his mouth and you should be good to go. :icon_lol:

OMNI

Got your coke, no problem. Don't mind the ego thing, either, so I'll get it started:

<ego>
You're the best, dude!
You rock!
If Syfylys hired you for their CGI, it would blow away their ratings and their Saturday shyte would rock!
</ego>

Ok, that's three. Maybe OM1 or Ape can throw in two more.

As far as blows, the only blows coming from me will involve fists, so, I suppose that's probably not what you're after. Therefore, I nominate Jim. Just ask him to wear a plastic bag in his mouth and you should be good to go. :icon_lol:
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! LMMFAO!!!!

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
--- merged: Jun 12, 2013 at 1:19 PM ---
its a deal bro!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

now here are my demands!

3, and a coke!

sound good? good!

OMG Youre back!

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
uum no... just stopping by to stir some shit up have a few laughs with you all to serious internetfolk you know me ;)

:)

heisenberg

Earl Grey
They said that it depends on the publisher/developer to implement DRM.
Sony has further clarified its pre-owned, trading and online restriction policies, after one of its executives claimed that DRM measures were "up to third parties".

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...n-on-disc-trading-but-online-drm-is-possible/

DRM has been existing on PC for quite sometime now. Infact, steam is a form of DRM but not as intrusive. Though, I hate the prospect of not being able to trade my digital games after I am done with them. I hate it how I can't sell the steam games I have or trade it with my friends. It's there on my profile indefinitely and that itself is just silly.

I think second hand should always exist and every consumer should have the right to trade or sell any type of item,whether it be tangible or not.

Bluce Ree

They said that it depends on the publisher/developer to implement DRM.

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...n-on-disc-trading-but-online-drm-is-possible/

DRM has been existing on PC for quite sometime now. Infact, steam is a form of DRM but not as intrusive. Though, I hate the prospect of not being able to trade my digital games after I am done with them. I hate it how I can't sell the steam games I have or trade it with my friends. It's there on my profile indefinitely and that itself is just silly.

I think second hand should always exist and every consumer should have the right to trade or sell any type of item,whether it be tangible or not.

DRM uses a form of encryption to encrypt the media so that it can only play on an authorized device. Streaming isn't necessarily DRM protected. If a video or audio stream comes to you bare, you can capture and save the data on the fly. There are some nice, free tools for such things.

DRM has a giant vulnerability, though. Once the media is decrypted on your device for viewing/listening, the buffered stream can be captured and saved right from RAM. There are tools for this as well. This is why MS opted to hardwire DRM into the hardware. Hardware driven DRM is nearly impossible to hack because anything you run on your desktop to capture the decrypted data from the media player itself would simply be denied by the OS at the hardware level.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
DRM uses a form of encryption to encrypt the media so that it can only play on an authorized device. Streaming isn't necessarily DRM protected. If a video or audio stream comes to you bare, you can capture and save the data on the fly. There are some nice, free tools for such things.

DRM has a giant vulnerability, though. Once the media is decrypted on your device for viewing/listening, the buffered stream can be captured and saved right from RAM. There are tools for this as well. This is why MS opted to hardwire DRM into the hardware. Hardware driven DRM is nearly impossible to hack because anything you run on your desktop to capture the decrypted data from the media player itself would simply be denied by the OS at the hardware level.

I actually understood this believe it or not. (Yay me! :joy:)

Yet one more reason to eschew Xbox. ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I actually understood this believe it or not. (Yay me! :joy:)

Yet one more reason to eschew Xbox. ;)

This Xbox will drop like a stone...the consumer feedback from the first buy crowd will make sure of that.

Red Mage

Boney
PS4 isn't necessarily going to be DRM free. It's just not a mandatory. Sony clarified they don't plan on enforcing DRM via system hardware and system OS but publishers can still have DRM restrictions in their games if they chose so.

Bluce Ree

PS4 isn't necessarily going to be DRM free. It's just not a mandatory. Sony clarified they don't plan on enforcing DRM via system hardware and system OS but publishers can still have DRM restrictions in their games if they chose so.

Software DRM is a joke. :icon_lol:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2