Sony's PS4 says "screw you" to DRM

heisenberg

Earl Grey
View attachment 28297

LMAO!!!!! Who the hell does Microsoft think they are? They will die....

They did the same thing with the xbox 360. It IS region locked as well but I think microsoft has given up with this console war. You can tell they are being half-assed with this but fanboys and idiots will still buy this piece of crap.

The thing is though, a lot of people on the internet start these boycott campaigns but end up buying the product anyway. See how many people bought the new simcity? Many where disappointed but many still bought that watered down piece crap and many actually believed everything that came out of EA. They spent 70-100 dollars on that piece of junk and EA has already profited from that game. They have already sold over 1.6 million copies already despite all the bad PR this game got. Proof that you can sell anything to idiots.

So in the end, I don't think this is going to hurt microsoft one bit even though I want them to suffer. There are more idiots out there that'll fall for their marketing BS and buy this shit. Their successors like halo franchises will bring them modest sales just like how call of duty continues to sell well and has been a cashcow for actiblizzard(activision/blizzard) just like world of warcraft has.

There is also the fact that microsoft can pay their way in keeping their games exclusive. Deny all you want but in this world, money has the power to buy almost everything. ;). Pay a publisher/developer enough money and they'll keep their games exclusive for that particular platform. In the process, forcing you, the consumer, to buy their proprietary,locked down piece of crap.

So in the end, this bad PR may actually work in favour to microsoft because they are getting all the attention they are after.

DRM uses a form of encryption to encrypt the media so that it can only play on an authorized device. Streaming isn't necessarily DRM protected. If a video or audio stream comes to you bare, you can capture and save the data on the fly. There are some nice, free tools for such things.

DRM has a giant vulnerability, though. Once the media is decrypted on your device for viewing/listening, the buffered stream can be captured and saved right from RAM. There are tools for this as well. This is why MS opted to hardwire DRM into the hardware. Hardware driven DRM is nearly impossible to hack because anything you run on your desktop to capture the decrypted data from the media player itself would simply be denied by the OS at the hardware level.

I know what DRM is ;) but what I was I saying was stuff like steam, you can't resell games which annoys me. If you really want the bitchiest of all protection software? Look no further than starforce protection.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
They did the same thing with the xbox 360. It IS region locked as well but I think microsoft has given up with this console war. You can tell they are being half-assed with this but fanboys and idiots will still buy this piece of crap.

The thing is though, a lot of people on the internet start these boycott campaigns but end up buying the product anyway. See how many people bought the new simcity? Many where disappointed but many still bought that watered down piece crap and many actually believed everything that came out of EA. They spent 70-100 dollars on that piece of junk and EA has already profited from that game. They have already sold over 1.6 million copies already despite all the bad PR this game got. Proof that you can sell anything to idiots.

So in the end, I don't think this is going to hurt microsoft one bit even though I want them to suffer. There are more idiots out there that'll fall for their marketing BS and buy this shit. Their successors like halo franchises will bring them modest sales just like how call of duty continues to sell well and has been a cashcow for actiblizzard(activision/blizzard) just like world of warcraft has.

There is also the fact that microsoft can pay their way in keeping their games exclusive. Deny all you want but in this world, money has the power to buy almost everything. ;). Pay a publisher/developer enough money and they'll keep their games exclusive for that particular platform. In the process, forcing you, the consumer, to buy their proprietary,locked down piece of crap.

So in the end, this bad PR may actually work in favour to microsoft because they are getting all the attention they are after.

I know what DRM is ;) but what I was I saying was stuff like steam, you can't resell games which annoys me. If you really want the bitchiest of all protection software? Look no further than starforce protection.

Oh, Steam! Goddammit I totally misread that as "stream" like streaming video. You are quite correct my friend. :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Oh, Steam! Goddammit I totally misread that as "stream" like streaming video. You are quite correct my friend. :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Heh, I was wondering why you were on about streaming but okay :P.
Steam has been broken before though but as someone who buys games/movies and tv-shows legitimately, I would really like the option of trading it in for something else or at least, have the ability to resell those that are in digital format. To me reselling is not a form of double dipping by any means.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Heh, I was wondering why you were on about streaming but okay :P.
Steam has been broken before though but as someone who buys games/movies and tv-shows legitimately, I would really like the option of trading it in for something else or at least, have the ability to resell those that are in digital format. To me reselling is not a form of double dipping by any means.

I agree. The content shit heads want it both ways, they want content to be treated as merchandise that can be "stolen" but also want to prevent you from selling your "merchandise" as used to someone else. For some reason, after decades of this nonsense having been proven wrong, they still have this mistaken notion that somehow preventing you from transferring your content to someone else will magically manifest itself into another sale for them. :icon_lol: