So, I'm a Photography Nut...

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I've been a big photography nut since I was a kid, but didn't really get into it myself until after the advent of digital cameras. I couldn't justify spending money on developing pictures that might suck to get maybe one that I really liked.

I screwed around with point and shoot cameras for a long while after that, but I eventually decided that I wanted to have even more control over the pictures I was taking and finally moved to a DSLR camera. I wasn't sure which one I wanted to get, as there are a bunch out there, but didn't want to get a truly low end one.

Thus I approached one of the best photographers I know and asked for his opinion. This is a kid who can quite literally walk out of a room, holding his camera at hip height and facing back into the room he's leaving, and come up with a breathtaking picture.

I told him what I was looking for, and he strongly suggested the D90, which is what I use right now. I want to get the new Nikon D7000 when I have the money (probably a long time from now) and then move on to whatever pro-level camera Nikon offers when I have enough to really spent on something good.

Is anyone else into photography? What do you shoot with? Is there any particular kind of photography you prefer to do? How long have you been into this very expensive but personally rewarding hobby?

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I just enjoy looking at your work. :D

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Just looked at some of your pictures of flowers . WOW!!! They are beautiful . I can see those being on Cards or for promoting Homes and Better Gardens . Wonderful work Illiterati

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I love what I do.

YOU ARE AWESOME! I just took the time to look at all of your stuff. Its AWESOME! You have such an eye for subjects...very enjoyable. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
BEAUTIFUL! So idyllic...

WOW! That is in Beverly Hills? Where is it? I dont recall ever seeing that house, so it will be a real treat! You asked earlier about what people shoot with. I have a Finepix S5100 from 5 years ago. It allows interchangeable lenses though, and has a 10x optical (not digital) zoom. Its digital, but is a true SLR as well. Im happy with it for my level of shooting pics. :)

3379775_1.gif

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I can't remember the exact corner offand, but you can get there by turning left on Roxbury (toward the neighborhood and away from downtown Beverly Hills), then make a left on Carmelita and go down about a block. It'll be on your left.

It's also called The Spadena House.

4-15-2011%20nikon%20beverly%20hills%20gingerbread%20house%201-L.png

I'm seriously considering getting a large version of this picture made and then having it framed.

I just think it's awesome.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
My daughter and I went down to Redondo Beach today to enjoy the cool ocean breeze, since it was bloody muggy in downtown Los Angeles.

I've gone through over 1000 images and have found perhaps 80 that were worthy of showing, so I currently have the vast majority of those uploading to my gallery. You can find the new gallery here:

http://illiterati.smugmug.com/Nature/RedondoBeach-4-17-2011/16661682_7jZ78j#1256222066_q5spqsr

Only about eight of over sixty (thus far) have uploaded since I started the process, so please be patient. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My daughter and I went down to Redondo Beach today to enjoy the cool ocean breeze, since it was bloody muggy in downtown Los Angeles.

I've gone through over 1000 images and have found perhaps 80 that were worthy of showing, so I currently have the vast majority of those uploading to my gallery. You can find the new gallery here:

http://illiterati.smugmug.com/Nature/RedondoBeach-4-17-2011/16661682_7jZ78j#1256222066_q5spqsr

Only about eight of over sixty (thus far) have uploaded since I started the process, so please be patient. :)

Awww...did you try to call me? I was on the beach today! BEAUTIFUL day. :)

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Awww...did you try to call me? I was on the beach today! BEAUTIFUL day. :)
It ended up being something fairly spontaneous. Daughter and I both decided that we wanted to get away from downtown for the day. And after such a lovely time, I've discovered that I need to get myself a larger sdhc card for my shoots -- at which point, the one I have now becomes my "second" card.

It's stupid how much you have to pay for one of these stupid things, but I like the Class 10 cards. They allow you to shoot so much faster, otherwise you could miss some sweet shots.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
so gorgeous...you have a flair for composition! :D mental green since I can't green you yet! :D

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Thanks to the both of you.

I've gotten caught up in what may turn out to be something annoying to the owners of the Hollywood First National Bank Building, designed by architects Meyer and Holler (1927) in this gallery:

http://illiterati.smugmug.com/Histo...ional-Bank/16712894_d49Ntc#1260584273_XHt8T6M

These idiot owners were involved in a nasty bit of scandal early last year:

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2010/..._in_hollywood_as_sign_starts_to_come_down.php

The building is NOT designed to hold things like supergraphics. Hell, it was built in 1927, when they wouldn't have considered something like that, ESPECIALLY for a BANK!

It floors me that this building has not been designated as being "officially" historic and that it would thus be protected from idiocy such as it has been subjected to already. Until 1932, it was the tallest building in Hollywood (when Hollywood City Hall was built).

I'll be taking more shots of the building as I can and adding them to that gallery in order to detail the deterioration that has been allowed to continue. The building's owners apparently don't give a tinker's damn that their actions (and inaction) are allowing the building's deterioration to continue at an accelerated rate.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Just got a new camera. It's one of Nikon's top professional-level DSLRs...

The Nikon D3S.
353_25466_D3S_24_70_front_l.png

It's shiny, alright. It also requires serious study, as it allows you to pretty much micromanage every tiny aspect of your shooting.

I'll be taking it with me to AnimeExpo this next weekend here in Los Angeles. I also got a ticket to the Masquerade that Sunday night, so I'm hoping to get some shots of the best cosplay outfits there. :)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Just got a new camera. It's one of Nikon's top professional-level DSLRs...

The Nikon D3S.
353_25466_D3S_24_70_front_l.png

It's shiny, alright. It also requires serious study, as it allows you to pretty much micromanage every tiny aspect of your shooting.

I'll be taking it with me to AnimeExpo this next weekend here in Los Angeles. I also got a ticket to the Masquerade that Sunday night, so I'm hoping to get some shots of the best cosplay outfits there. :)

congrats on the new 'toy"...uhhh camera! ;) it's lovely and i am sure you will get many hours of enjoyment as well as many fantastic photos from it. :)

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Heading out in about an hour or so to get some shots of Sherry Jackson's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. I'll see what else I can find while I'm out there and post those here. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Cool :beckettu: