Si-Fi Shows in Canada

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Canada -used- to run a government program subsidising films and TV that were made there. That and the dollar difference moved a lot of work up to Canada, but IIRC, that program ended soon after the GFC, which is why you see huge amounts of stuff made in the 90's and '00's.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Canada -used- to run a government program subsidising films and TV that were made there. That and the dollar difference moved a lot of work up to Canada, but IIRC, that program ended soon after the GFC, which is why you see huge amounts of stuff made in the 90's and '00's.

I kinda miss the stuff Canada used to crank out in the 90's. It just seemed more sincere compared to the stuff they're putting out these days.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I kinda miss the stuff Canada used to crank out in the 90's. It just seemed more sincere compared to the stuff they're putting out these days.
I think they had far more leeway back then, like they (Scifi) had with Lexx being teamed up in Germany and Farscape out here (Different leeway to be sure) Now it really has just become about crunching the numbers unfortunately.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan

I don't think the tax credits have changed. They still cover 25 to 30 per cent of the wages, or rebate back taxes that might have been paid, and maybe some other expenses.

Most of the sci-fi shows have moved from being shot in Vancouver to TO. I think SyFy has two to come. 'The Expanse', '12 Monkeys', could be for them. While 'The Killjoys' sounds like it could be for CTV.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I think they had far more leeway back then, like they (Scifi) had with Lexx being teamed up in Germany and Farscape out here (Different leeway to be sure) Now it really has just become about crunching the numbers unfortunately.

And the writing seemed better back then; more focused and coherent. It was less "emotional" and the soap aspects generally didn't overtake the stories the way it does now.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I don't think the tax credits have changed. They still cover 25 to 30 per cent of the wages, or rebate back taxes that might have been paid, and maybe some other expenses.

Most of the sci-fi shows have moved from being shot in Vancouver to TO. I think SyFy has two to come. 'The Expanse', '12 Monkeys', could be for them. While 'The Killjoys' sounds like it could be for CTV.
I could be wrong here G-B, but IIRC the change in tax was touted as one of the reasons SGU was no longer sustainable. I would have to go a-digging back to when I bothered to pay attention to these things.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
And the writing seemed better back then; more focused and coherent. It was less "emotional" and the soap aspects generally didn't overtake the stories the way it does now.
I know I am gonna get slapped for this..............
In the 90-00's life was (relatively) good and we looked to the future with a kind of, perhaps naieve hope, but to get our kicks we wanted gritty and dark and it was seen as "cool", and human failings became "good TV" We embraced our shitty side, not just as a reminder, but as a way to do things. Now we reap the whirlwind of that short-sightedness.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I know I am gonna get slapped for this..............
In the 90-00's life was (relatively) good and we looked to the future with a kind of, perhaps naieve hope, but to get our kicks we wanted gritty and dark and it was seen as "cool", and human failings became "good TV" We embraced our shitty side, not just as a reminder, but as a way to do things. Now we reap the whirlwind of that short-sightedness.

Or have the writers and the culture they write for simply gotten dumber and lazier as the decades and generations have changed?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Or have the writers and the culture they write for simply gotten dumber and lazier as the decades and generations have changed?
I don't think so.
It happens almost like clockwork in history and art.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I don't think so.
It happens almost like clockwork in history and art.

And politics? ;)

If I understand you correctly then that means that a swing back to logical, science fiction-based story telling will be inevitable. If so I hope it happens sooner rather than later.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
And politics? ;)

If I understand you correctly then that means that a swing back to logical, science fiction-based story telling will be inevitable. If so I hope it happens sooner rather than later.
Not logical, but stories that have more.......... "Hope and Heart"??....... Yes, I do believe you will see that swing. Don't get me wrong, we NEED dark and nasty movies or books or TV, but the scales are just so damn whacked right now it's not funny - LITERALLY.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
And politics? ;)

Entertainment now is managed more like Entertainment Products. No longer are actors and actresses picked off the street. They have to be packaged and presented like labels (designer editions) on these products. Each product is designed to appeal to a given demographic, and once the product is on "the market" (TV, cable, movies, print, web), metrics are generated to measure the effectiveness of the product and those metrics are used to sell the power of said product to the advertising industry which is paying for everything.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Entertainment now is managed more like Entertainment Products. No longer are actors and actresses picked off the street. They have to be packaged and presented like labels (designer editions) on these products. Each product is designed to appeal to a given demographic, and once the product is on "the market" (TV, cable, movies, print, web), metrics are generated to measure the effectiveness of the product and those metrics are used to sell the power of said product to the advertising industry which is paying for everything.
W.T.F.??
If you were talking music, I could get behind that, but ACTORS???
No.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
W.T.F.??
If you were talking music, I could get behind that, but ACTORS???
No.

Its the truth man! The products are designed before actors are even plugged into them. The path to the big screen is more of a matriculation through a gauntlet than the rise of real talent. How can you explain Natalie Portman, Shia LeBouf, Gweneth Paltrow? Even Will Smith is a package. I met him and his hip hop partner "DJ Jazzy Jeff" in my record shop long LONG before he ever did any movie or any television. Same with Queen Latifah (hi Dana!). The music companies they were with "packaged" them for sale. It is done differently in Canada and elsewhere, but in Hollywood, metrics are more important than anything else.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Its the truth man! The products are designed before actors are even plugged into them. The path to the big screen is more of a matriculation through a gauntlet than the rise of real talent. How can you explain Natalie Portman, Shia LeBouf, Gweneth Paltrow?
I will agree that hollyweird goes for a "look", but will you ever mention ANY of them in the same way as you would with Patrick Stewart, Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman, Johnny Depp or Tim Curry??
Come ON man, we KNOW talent when we really see it, and we know bullshit as well.
Even Will Smith is a package. I met him and his hip hop partner "DJ Jazzy Jeff" in my record shop long LONG before he ever did any movie or any television. Same with Queen Latifah (hi Dana!). The music companies they were with "packaged" them for sale. It is done differently in Canada and elsewhere, but in Hollywood, metrics are more important than anything else.
For SALES, sure!!
I won't argue with you, but for skill and talent??
I am forced to disagree.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I will agree that hollyweird goes for a "look", but will you ever mention ANY of them in the same way as you would with Patrick Stewart, Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman, Johnny Depp or Tim Curry??
Come ON man, we KNOW talent when we really see it, and we know bullshit as well.

For SALES, sure!!
I won't argue with you, but for skill and talent??
I am forced to disagree.

In Hollywood, there is no other reason to make movies or television except to make money. The very first ever broadcast show was aired to make money on advertising and market sales. Shows are created and canceled based upon money money money...not because of the great talent that we sometimes get in the shows.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
The point I was making seems to be to your left.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The point I was making seems to be to your left.

Oh, okay. :) I was trying to keep the point directed at why Defiance might be canceled. It isnt going to survive because it is a good show or because fans like it. It will only survive if the metrics show that it is worth continuing or it will be canceled. I think Canada and Britain make the best science fiction these days, IMO.

Defiance was supposed to be a trailblazer fusion of TV show and game. That is how they sold it to Showcase/Syfy. The game has gone free to play, and they are blowing out the episodes of season 2, and there is no announcement of renewal...however we do know that the show is hovering steadily around 1.5-1.6 million. Because I dont know the numbers, I cant make a strong guess, but if I had to make an educated guess I would say the show is canceled already and we just have not gotten the announcement. Who knows for sure?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Oh, okay. :) I was trying to keep the point directed at why Defiance might be canceled. It isnt going to survive because it is a good show or because fans like it. It will only survive if the metrics show that it is worth continuing or it will be canceled.
I completely agree with that.
I think Canada and Britain make the best science fiction these days, IMO.
Dude, they make most of them, so they should get a hit somewhere :P
Defiance was supposed to be a trailblazer fusion of TV show and game. That is how they sold it to Showcase/Syfy. The game has gone free to play, and they are blowing out the episodes of season 2, and there is no announcement of renewal...however we do know that the show is hovering steadily around 1.5-1.6 million.
ALL I am saying is, it TRIED to do it, and it was a FANTASTIC goal, and it approached it honestly. It failed, but I can laud the intent and effort can I not?
Because I dont know the numbers, I cant make a strong guess, but if I had to make an educated guess I would say the show is canceled already and we just have not gotten the announcement. Who knows for sure?
I think it is a fair guess that it will be canned, but it depends on how much "kickback" Syfy gets from Trion Worlds. If they can get Syfy the 20-40 mill to produce a season, then they will continue, if not..............

You have to look at the long view here because it is not just SYFY, it's Trion, and whoever they have made deals with as well. If they get a "taste" of sales worldwide for the show, they get some serious coin, and if SYFY jumped on that model as well, then they can get less and still support Defiance.
In short
SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!