Si-Fi Shows in Canada

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I don't think the tax credits have changed. They still cover 25 to 30 per cent of the wages, or rebate back taxes that might have been paid, and maybe some other expenses.

Most of the sci-fi shows have moved from being shot in Vancouver to TO. I think SyFy has two to come. 'The Expanse', '12 Monkeys', could be for them. While 'The Killjoys' sounds like it could be for CTV.

That's It !!! She was not sure of the name but it had the word kill in it . Killjoy . It's going to have a scene shot at my wife's work location which again is right near my house similar to how close the defiance set is . Wow . I just realized that there are at least 3 or four film sets within a 5 mile radious of my house . Of course I always see film crews around town . I watched a bit of the shoot for total recall as they drove those weird cars under the Gardner expressway .
Here's a list of movies also and again , wow . We are Hollywood North defiantly . I've lived in Toronto for more than 30 years now and did not realize how many were done right here .

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_shot_in_Toronto

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I find very little about the development of DEFECATION to be "honest" at all. It was plainly designed by a very cynical, corporate mindset. There's no real sincerity to the story; one doesn't get the impression that there was a lone writer who came up with the concept and then painstakingly worked at creating sympathetic/empathetic characters. Rather, the entire show seems to have been written by committee. And the overall effect, from plot to characters, smacks of a "cut & paste" methodology; the goal being "money money money" at the expense of good story telling.

B

Backstep

I did read some where if there is a third season, it will tell the story of the pale wars.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I did read some where if there is a third season, it will tell the story of the pale wars.

How nice of them to maybe get around to telling us a little something about the origins of this world. Too bad I, and millions of others, no longer give a shit. ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
How nice of them to maybe get around to telling us a little something about the origins of this world. Too bad I, and millions of others, no longer give a shit. ;)

Coffee-Fix.jpg

Last edited:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Canada -used- to run a government program subsidising films and TV that were made there. That and the dollar difference moved a lot of work up to Canada, but IIRC, that program ended soon after the GFC, which is why you see huge amounts of stuff made in the 90's and '00's.

Canada still subsidizes film. The program always subsidized independent films, though.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
For those who are interested in what shows are being shot in Toronto, give this place a peek every once in a while. Look carefully at the dates. So far no Season 3 of "Defiance" is on the horizon. The Teamsters no longer advertise what shows they are doing so we are missing out on some earlier dates and info.

Ah...you use similar sources for sleuthing too! :) A surprising amount of specific information used to be available by monitoring Teamsters contracts and projects. Perhaps we can still get the information they do not publish? It would have to be available to Union members, no?

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
Teamsters use to be a huge pool for info. Sometimes they would announce a month or two ahead of time which series were coming back. Then you would see that the shows were looking for assistant directors, so on and so on up the feeding chain.

I think they mentioned, in Vancouver at least, one time that they were tearing down the sets for SGU.

Atlantis Alliance was huge 15 or twenty years ago. Off the top of my tiny little head they financed the early years of the CSI series. If you throw in shows like Lexx, Final Wave, Earth: Final Conflict and the ever popular Andromeda, they did pretty good. Throw in the cop drama Cold Squad, and Mysterious Island, or the Beastmaster, they created a substantial portfolio of work.