Share with the Latest movie you have seen....

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Is that really all you got from the characterisations?
Did you miss the whole Russian Doll metaphor for Santa and later on Jack?
Did you miss Jack's comment about how long has it been since the guardians actually just *played* with the kids rather than just be "in charge adults"?
Did you miss Bunny dispite all his bluster still being scared sometimes?
Geez man, we really do see these things far differently.

No, I got all of that. :) And yes, we do see these things far differently. ;)

Did you? Did it "hurt" you somehow?

It made me cynical and analytical. :)

Seriously bro, when you say stuff like this it is *painfully* obvious you don't have kids of your own :P.

True, but I was a kid and I helped raise my sister's kids in a big way (even diaper time). There are plenty more healthy ways to stimulate the imaginations of a shild than telling them fairy tales and then being complicit in their deceit by putting a quarter under your child's pillow and saying a fairy left it there. :). I guess this is a cultural practice, You do not find these sort of characters created in other cultures. It is not a fault of parents NOT to tell their children these stories, is it?

I went to their website and saw only themed sets, and a section of "Individual bricks" which shows a few sets. Legos were my favorite toy as a kid, and I could actually have fun with them as an adult. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
No, I got all of that. :) And yes, we do see these things far differently. ;)

It made me cynical and analytical. :)
So you never had any "wide eyed wonder" with the world?

True, but I was a kid and I helped raise my sister's kids in a big way (even diaper time). There are plenty more healthy ways to stimulate the imaginations of a shild than telling them fairy tales and then being complicit in their deceit by putting a quarter under your child's pillow and saying a fairy left it there. :). I guess this is a cultural practice, You do not find these sort of characters created in other cultures.
Not the characters exactly, but you do find some parallels in other cultures. Nearly every culture has some kind of "seasonal" deity or spirits.

It is not a fault of parents NOT to tell their children these stories, is it?
Not at all, is it a fault of the parent TO tell their children these stories?

I went to their website and saw only themed sets, and a section of "Individual bricks" which shows a few sets. Legos were my favorite toy as a kid, and I could actually have fun with them as an adult. :)
Did you see the ones on Amazon and Kmart (I know, Kmart is slumming for you, but ya know :P)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So you never had any "wide eyed wonder" with the world?

Of course I did! The most came from seeing things through a telescope whilst on camping trips in the mountains with my dad. Others came from seeing my first microscopic organisms in a microscope. I remember the first time I saw a living amoeba. :) I got a sense of "wtf?" from the story of Santa Claus, especially when the main news broadcasts were saying they saw Santa on radar (they were in on it too). Same with the Easter Bunny. If I had not had a rabbit once as a pet, this might have been different. My sense of wonder about those stories came more like "I wonder who made this shit up?".

Not the characters exactly, but you do find some parallels in other cultures. Nearly every culture has some kind of "seasonal" deity or spirits.

Yes, but not ones that leave gifts after taking teeth, or delivering gifts on a certain day in the year, and most definitely not a rabbit that leaves eggs (or similar). Only the Sandman seems to have parallels in other cultures.

Not at all, is it a fault of the parent TO tell their children these stories?

IMO, yes there is. If you tell them these stories, you are intentionally lying to them. Especially if you take their teeth and leave money and say a fairy left it. Or that a man riding a sleigh pulled by flying reindeer bought the toys you spent your heard earned money on to purchase. Buy them a telescope or a microscope or a set of fossils or even an unusual pet to give them their sense of wonder.

Did you see the ones on Amazon and Kmart (I know, Kmart is slumming for you, but ya know :P)

I dont mind Kmart or even Walmart of I can get the items I want. :) I just dont impulse buy or "shop" at those stores without having something very specific in mind to buy.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Ok dude, lets agree to disagree here, cause we will never even come close to seeing eye to eye on this one :)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
THis is an old movie but I still had to share. I loved the original Jurassic Park but had never bothered to see The Lost World: Jurassic Park. Now I know why! It was HORRIBLE! :facepalm: It was one of the freebies on On demand this past weekend so hubby and I sat down to cuddle on the couch and watch a movie Saturday afternoon! OMG was it horrible- the plot, the special effects, the ACTING, the pacing....the list goes on and on. It was fun to heckle though! :P

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
@overmind and Guardians talk, I agree it was kinda dark for us adult viewers, some aspects. But you have to take into consideration kids wont really see that dark stuff cause they're kids, they'll have another perspective to it and just enjoy it. Hell, you should watch Up, that was freaking wow right near the beginning, but kids wouldn't understand that exposition at the beginning of Up. The funny parts they'll get.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
@overmind and Guardians talk, I agree it was kinda dark for us adult viewers, some aspects. But you have to take into consideration kids wont really see that dark stuff cause they're kids, they'll have another perspective to it and just enjoy it. Hell, you should watch Up, that was freaking wow right near the beginning, but kids wouldn't understand that exposition at the beginning of Up. The funny parts they'll get.

"Up" is far, far darker at the beginning of the movie. I had.............fun trying to explain that one to the kids. You are right however what they really take away from the story is more about Dug, Mr Fredrickson and Russel and how they all helped to make Mr F's dream ultimately come true.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
lol I'm surprised you tried, I didnt even attempt to explain to my baby cousin, besides she was quickly distracted enough and wouldnt have understood.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I actually liked Rise of the Guardians a whole lot. :) I think it is more on an adult level though, much like the first Cars movie. Less for kids. The kids I know dont understand the wisdom of adult morality before age 15 or so, IMO. I have not seen Up, so I am going to try that one too :).

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
lol I'm surprised you tried, I didnt even attempt to explain to my baby cousin, besides she was quickly distracted enough and wouldnt have understood.

My eldest is getting to the age where she understands more about what is going on in the world. My 2 little ones, yeah, about the same as your experience dude :P
--- merged: May 13, 2013 at 9:48 PM ---
I actually liked Rise of the Guardians a whole lot. :) I think it is more on an adult level though, much like the first Cars movie. Less for kids.
................................. :lol:
The kids I know dont understand the wisdom of adult morality before age 15 or so, IMO.
Of course not, they have "kid morality". And really, is Adult morality all that and a slice of pie??
I have not seen Up, so I am going to try that one too :).
You are gonna freak over the intro dude :lol:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Not for you overmind, don't wanna spoil the movie for yourself. After about 1.40, there's absolutely no dialogue at all and yet evokes so much emotion. Makes me all misty eyed, I mean shed a very manly tear:

:icon_rotflmao::laughing::smiley-laughing024::crying-028::SmileyLaughingTears::SmileyLaughingTears:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Not for you overmind, don't wanna spoil the movie for yourself. After about 1.40, there's absolutely no dialogue at all and yet evokes so much emotion. Makes me all misty eyed, I mean shed a very manly tear:
This is probably one of my all-time favorite movie scenes. It did so much to evoke all the "right" emotions without any need for dialogue.

Rewatching it, I discovered a few of my own tears, as well. Thanks for posting this, mzzz. /hug

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I can easily go there if it is done right. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OMG, if you want a real hearty laugh, pure guffawing coffee spraying fun, watch Rise of the Animals :)

rise of the animals.jpg

Alas, this one is not on Netflix, but is free on Amazon prime. :) It is so funny, and the killing of the animals is done in the cheesiest, funniest, Tarantino-like way that you know it is not real. Just funny as hell. Great fun. I would put this in the C-Movie category...but so funny!

There are better scenes in the movie. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Here we are, discussing childrens movies and the power of the intro of "up" and you post WHAT NOW??!!!???

You have reclaimed your status as Grinch :D