Share with the Latest movie you have seen....

poundpuppy29

Scifi & Fantasy Junkie
I saw Oblivion with Tom Cruise I liked it it was interesting

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Don't wanna look for the recommendation thread so will just post here:

Starchaser - was a pretty decent cartoon movie. You'll obviously see elements and character designs from Star Wars and Temple of Doom. I think this movie could be good with a mature treatment as a live action movie or tv series, can develop certain end mini-plots better.

Nikita - the movie, not the show. Was surprisingly decent, didn't think I'd enjoy it. Nice to see the whole transformation of the character take place and pre-internet/pre-heavy tech-based espionage. Transformation was a bit more believable than how it was done in Bourne, torture resulting in a new persona.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Rise of the Guardians - it's been a long time since I've grinned so much during a movie. This movie was just fantastic, awesome feel good movie. Obviously, it's not for everyone, and really for the child in us. I really enjoyed this one, and wish I had watched it in theaters.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Rise of the Guardians - it's been a long time since I've grinned so much during a movie. This movie was just fantastic, awesome feel good movie. Obviously, it's not for everyone, and really for the child in us. I really enjoyed this one, and wish I had watched it in theaters.

I'm not a Kangaroo mate!! :lol:
Unsuprisingly, I have seen this movie *many* times :lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm not a Kangaroo mate!! :lol:
Unsuprisingly, I have seen this movie *many* times :lol:

This coming from you two guys is enough for me...Im gonna watch this flick tonight!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Just remember bro, it is a kids flick, but it is much better than some that I have been forced to endure :)

I know...:) But Im in a mood where I can appreciate it right now. If I had a bunch of LEGOs right now, I would be building stuff with them. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Have you watched it yet bro?

Im downloading it. :) It wasn't on Netflix and was on Amazon Prime for $4.99 rental. It has about 10 minutes to complete.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
We saw Iron Man 3 last week. This week, we will be seeing "Star Trek Into Darkness" at the late movie (Wednesday night).

I am prepared to have a happy over this. :eagerness:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Im downloading it. :) It wasn't on Netflix and was on Amazon Prime for $4.99 rental. It has about 10 minutes to complete.

Im 2/3 the way through this cute film. Definitely would not recommend showing it to children, but enjoyable as an adult looking through childhood eyes. :) I remember growing up with the Tooth Fairy, Santa, The Easter Bunny and the Sandman. But for children growing up in the 21st Century, I think such fantasy is unhealthy for children. The values put forth in this movie are confusing. It was definitely entertaining for me. :) I like how they gave such cool personalities to the characters. The Aussie Easter Bunny was very cool, as was the Russian Santa. Jack frost they made into a skater boy complete with hoody and skinny jeans.

I suppose there is a place for movies like this, and I loved it overall. But I would not want to show this to children and feel pressured to uphold the myths.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Im 2/3 the way through this cute film. Definitely would not recommend showing it to children, but enjoyable as an adult looking through childhood eyes. :) I remember growing up with the Tooth Fairy, Santa, The Easter Bunny and the Sandman. But for children growing up ibn the 21st Century, I think such fantasy is unhealthy for children. The values put forth in this movie are confusing. It was definitely entertaining for me. :) I like how they gave such cool personalities to the characters. The Aussie Easter Bunny was very cool, as was the Russian Santa. Jack frost they made into a skater boy complete with hoody and skinny jeans.

I suppose there is a place for movies like this, and I loved it overall. But I would not want to show this to children and feel pressured to uphold the myths.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I finished the movie...fun little film. :) I think the appeal is really for adults who are getting in touch with their childhood. Lots of unexpected violence and darkness for a film like this. It is the kind of film that adults look at and think their children will enjoy. I liked it overall though!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
What was so dark and violent about it?

Pitch Black and his horses, the death of Sandman, the Tooth Fairy punching Pitch, the notion that NOT believing in these fantasies is a bad thing, the overall tone during parts of the movie...more?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
What about Jack's victory over the nightmares?
What about the children bringing Sandy back?
What about the messages of hope?
What about Jack discovering who and what he is?
What about the Idea that one child can change the world?

You are looking at the movie through a Adult jaded eyes dude, you need to put that brain of yours into "kid mode". Perhaps I should not have hidden my Lego from you :lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
What about Jack's victory over the nightmares?
What about the children bringing Sandy back?
What about the messages of hope?
What about Jack discovering who and what he is?
What about the Idea that one child can change the world?

You are looking at the movie through a Adult jaded eyes dude, you need to put that brain of yours into "kid mode". Perhaps I should not have hidden my Lego from you :lol:
That is the confusing part...why would I want my children to come away with the values being put forth in this movie? Santa is a tattooed Russian who wields two swords, and the Easter Bunny (the coolest character of all) is a boomerang throwing badass, and the Tooth Fairy....it is cute stuff for our generation (meaning adults who grew up with them). Is it really a good thing for kids to believe i santa Claus, The Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy?

Like I said, I loved the movie. :) But I dont at all see it as something I think children would completely understand, nor would I think they would learn anything positive from it unless told outright that none of these characters really exist.

BTW: Why cant you buy plain Lego bricks without the themes and figurines anymore? I want a big box of Lego bricks with the standard window and door and wheel bricks. I found the building platforms. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
That is the confusing part...why would I want my children to come away with the values being put forth in this movie? Santa is a tattooed Russian who wields two swords, and the Easter Bunny (the coolest character of all) is a boomerang throwing badass, and the Tooth Fairy....it is cute stuff for our generation (meaning adults who grew up with them).
Is that really all you got from the characterisations?
Did you miss the whole Russian Doll metaphor for Santa and later on Jack?
Did you miss Jack's comment about how long has it been since the guardians actually just *played* with the kids rather than just be "in charge adults"?
Did you miss Bunny dispite all his bluster still being scared sometimes?
Geez man, we really do see these things far differently.
Is it really a good thing for kids to believe i santa Claus, The Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy?
Did you? Did it "hurt" you somehow?
Like I said, I loved the movie. :) But I dont at all see it as something I think children would completely understand, nor would I think they would learn anything positive from it unless told outright that none of these characters really exist.
Seriously bro, when you say stuff like this it is *painfully* obvious you don't have kids of your own :P.

BTW: Why cant you buy plain Lego bricks without the themes and figurines anymore? I want a big box of Lego bricks with the standard window and door and wheel bricks. I found the building platforms. :)
You can :)
http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-4579773-Brick-Box/dp/B000NOC49I
http://www.kmart.com/search=lego brick box
--- merged: May 13, 2013 at 1:13 AM ---