Share with the Latest movie you have seen....

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I won't be able to go see the new ST movie until next week. Am I now to believe it's not worth even paying the matinee price? Come on man, I rarely see movies in the theater anymore and I was really looking forward to this outing. :moody:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I won't be able to go see the new ST movie until next week. Am I now to believe it's not worth even paying the matinee price? Come on man, I rarely see movies in the theater anymore and I was really looking forward to this outing. :moody:

It's worth $6 just to get out of the house.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Watched a few, gonna try to recall the ones that I remember:

1. Jack Reacher - just shit. Let's just move on.

2. Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn - without even knowing much about the Halo franchise, one can watch this movie and still appreciate it. It did a slow set-up while building the characters. During the characterization stuff, they also sort of blend in some worldbuilding aspects as well that kinda works. It's not great, but watchable. It ends with me wanting more.

3. Rurôni Kenshin: Meiji kenkaku roman tan - people would likely appreciate it if they've watched the anime. But in case you haven't, there are some sorta 'iffy' powers displayed by the main baddie that might grate some viewers. As for the rest, it is pretty believable. It takes place in Japan during a time when Japan is transitioning from its samurai era government to Westernization of Japan. Obviously, this won't be on the level of Clavell's Shogun due to the focus. It's more individually focused.

4. All the Fast & Furious movies cause gf made me - absolute shit, sorry fans.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Exodus:gods and kings

why did i like it given my agnostic view on things?

in short-for every plague/miracle, a natural/scientfic (based on modern theories) explanation was offered, either in view or in dialogue

for example-the plagues starting with the "blood water"

yes they did show crocs having a feeding frenzy on some fisherman, but the didn't say that it was THE cause for "blood water"

later we see a court minister explaining his theory to pharoah"

the flood waters of the upper Nile caused more clay then normal to enter the river

this clay (well you get it if you know about what excess soil into rivers cause) would have not only discolored the water and made it murky/less oxygenated (fish kill) but alos would have excess nitrates and other minerals detrimental to river life

then the dead fish caused a feeding frenzy for flies and other vermin, which bred excessively and caused the plague of flies

the dead flies then spread disease to the animals and humans

This on screen explanation IS one of the prevailing theories for the chain reaction caused from a higher then normal upper Nile clay dishcharge

there is also the volcano on Thera but not as popular and not in the movie
----------------

they gave a visual for the "parting of waters" shown more of a receding of them.

in the distance when the water is parted we see many funnel clouds, twisters that would have caused the water in that point to spread apart making it shallow enough for a passage

science today has shown that a combination of high winds coming off the sahara and winds coming south or north on the Red Sea could indeed cause such an event

-------------

what do I think?

that Moses-living as an Egyptian, was educated. When he was exiled he probably witnessed a similar event on the red sea-therefore he knew when and where the right conditions may appear again

as an educated man of court, he would also have known about the cycle of the nile and just how often the high clay discharge happened

he also know what a high "deadtide" of fish would cause as far as bugs/locusts,etc

I think he was a clever man, who would have never of convinced any hebrews to follow him based on facts and the science of the time-so instead, being clever-he had to package this in the form of "God told me.." to get the skeptics to believe him and follow him

----------------

beyond that,it was a very visual and well made film- definitely worth watching at least once and no heavy religious or "save the planet" msg as in NOAH