Shall...we....play...A....Game??

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Only a dumb grunt with an IQ matching their Bicep measurements worries about things like scores. :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yeah, yongjin! You don't know, ok? 'Cause, you know, you just don't! In the game, OM1 is able to PERPETRATE the violence himself which is TOTALLY different than watching less violence on some TV show beyond your control. :happy0007:

Oh ok--I thought it was going to be said that GTA isn't "real" because it is a comp graphic game while the tv shows are "real" because they have-well, you know-real ppl in them.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oh ok--I thought it was going to be said that GTA isn't "real" because it is a comp graphic game while the tv shows are "real" because they have-well, you know-real ppl in them.

It is even simpler: one is passive, and the other is interactive (active). One gives you control, the other puts you under control. One is dynamic and unpredictable, the other is scripted and pre-determined. So many ways to define the difference. :)

Bluce Ree

It is even simpler: one is passive, and the other is interactive (active). One gives you control, the other puts you under control. One is dynamic and unpredictable, the other is scripted and pre-determined. So many ways to define the difference. :)

So, you're saying controlling the main character in a game to deliberately commit acts of graphic, uncensored violence is better than watching a TV show that implies violence through non-graphic imagery? :icon_lol:

Even Dexter was against making a video game based on a serial killer being developed by a colleague who was a part-time game developer in the last season.:D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So, you're saying controlling the main character in a game to deliberately commit acts of graphic, uncensored violence is better than watching a TV show that implies violence through non-graphic imagery? :icon_lol:

Even Dexter was against making a video game based on a serial killer being developed by a colleague who was a part-time game developer in the last season.:D

Yep. :) The characters in GTA are not real, they dont look or feel real. I dont think I would play a game where I was a serial killer or a murderer or a cannibal. :) But sitting and just watching a show about it (plus the commercials) is a completely different thing, no? :)

Bluce Ree

Yep. :) The characters in GTA are not real, they dont look or feel real. I dont think I would play a game where I was a serial killer or a murderer or a cannibal. :) But sitting and just watching a show about it (plus the commercials) is a completely different thing, no? :)

The characters of a TV show are also not real.

Let's look at GTA. Let's say you play a few times a month. You run over or shoot or otherwise kill 3 or more people, which feels exhilarating and/or fun because you continue playing, then take a break and come back and play again at a later time. Hmmm ... sounds like serial killing but let me pull up the definition to be sure. :D

"A serial killer is typically defined as a person who murders three or more people over a period of more than 30 days, with a "cooling off" period between each murder, and whose motivation for killing is largely based on psychological gratification."

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The characters of a TV show are also not real.

Let's look at GTA. Let's say you play a few times a month. You run over or shoot or otherwise kill 3 or more people, which feels exhilarating and/or fun because you continue playing, then take a break and come back and play again at a later time. Hmmm ... sounds like serial killing but let me pull up the definition to be sure. :D

"A serial killer is typically defined as a person who murders three or more people over a period of more than 30 days, with a "cooling off" period between each murder, and whose motivation for killing is largely based on psychological gratification."

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Dude, I kill at least 1000 people each game. :) But they are not enactments of real killings, they are computer generated "cartoons". That is not really comparable to actual humans portraying murders and serial killings in the same fashion as they would look in real life. Is it?

Bluce Ree

Dude, I kill at least 1000 people each game. :) But they are not enactments of real killings, they are computer generated "cartoons". That is not really comparable to actual humans portraying murders and serial killings in the same fashion as they would look in real life. Is it?

Yes, yes. Tom-a-to, tom-ah-to. Same difference. Now you're just fishing with dental floss hoping to catch a point. :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes, yes. Tom-a-to, tom-ah-to. Same difference. Now you're just fishing with dental floss hoping to catch a point. :icon_lol:

I actually can enjoy gore and violence if it is not made to look or feel too realistic. Think Quentin Tarantino in Kill Bill. :)

Bluce Ree

I actually can enjoy gore and violence if it is not made to look or feel too realistic. Think Quentin Tarantino in Kill Bill. :)

Nicely executed quick-shift on the subject. :) The level of gore and violence in modern video games is quite realistic. :) However, Kill Bill took gore :) to another level :) spraying blood all over the place. :) The head coming off, limbs, gun shot wounds, sword stabs and so on were very graphic. :) You're just trying to split hairs here. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
So I assume this game is not going to happen?

OK.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Nicely executed quick-shift on the subject. :) The level of gore and violence in modern video games is quite realistic. :) However, Kill Bill took gore :) to another level :) spraying blood all over the place. :) The head coming off, limbs, gun shot wounds, sword stabs and so on were very graphic. :) You're just trying to split hairs here. :)

The way he does it does not look at all real, almost comical which makes it easier on me and keeps my human revulsion to seeing others ACTUALLY hurt intact. Watching ultra-realistic violence has a desensitizing effect. I agree with you regarding the newer games, which is why I do not play them. GTASA is an old game and does not look at all realistic. :)
--- merged: Sep 7, 2014 7:09 AM ---
So I assume this game is not going to happen?

OK.

You said it needs more players than we have available. How do we do it with fewer players?

Last edited by a moderator:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Alternately we need a game that takes fewer players.