Shall...we....play...A....Game??

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Well, there are alternate rules sets for less players, but they don't convey the essence of the game IMHO.

We have 7 regular posters at least, all they have to do is jump on board for what is really a great game.

Come on guys!!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
true, but its not like you need to sink tons of time into it if we have 2-4 day diplomacy phases per season.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Ok, so while OM was fixing my OS, we got to chatting about "my odd games" and I gave him suggestions of 3 games to look at:

Diplomacy
Axis and Allies
Shogun

Now, I was wondering if Joe would be interested in running a Play by mail game of Diplomacy? I don't have a copy of the game myself as I used to play either my brothers, or at the local games store.

All we would need is someone to keep a "master board", a PDF file of the Diplomacy map and 5 players.
Rules for length of turn and such could be hashed out here (IE, how many days per turn) and a basic overview of the incredibly basic rules.

Any thoughts?

Don't support the war machine by playing war games! :jaded:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

War GAMES are fun! But not when using real weapons, real nations and killing real people. :) Grand Theft Auto is fun as hell, but I would not want to play it in real life. Also, War Inc makes no money on war games made for PC or consoles. :)

It would be cool if nations declared war by challenging each other to video game wars. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

The game is called DIPLOMACY dude :lol:
the combat "system" such as it is, is you need more armies or support than your opponent, if you have more, you win, less, you loose, that's it

(but I know you be kidding anyway :D )

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The game is called DIPLOMACY dude :lol:
the combat "system" such as it is, is you need more armies or support than your opponent, if you have more, you win, less, you loose, that's it

(but I know you be kidding anyway :D )

Diplomacy is merely a ruse for buying time for building militarism and stoking the fires of war at home

DIPLOMACY the game is simply a training tool developed to warp the minds of our youth to believe in the Military-Industrial-Politico complex

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
War GAMES are fun! But not when using real weapons, real nations and killing real people. :) Grand Theft Auto is fun as hell, but I would not want to play it in real life. Also, War Inc makes no money on war games made for PC or consoles. :)

It would be cool if nations declared war by challenging each other to video game wars. :)

Why would you play GTA but not watch Sons of Anarchy or Breaking Bad when they are far, far less violent then GTA? But i digress.....

I can't keep reading this thread,, its thick with war talk and militaristic aspirations and making my head hurt :happy0007:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Why would you play GTA but not watch Sons of Anarchy or Breaking Bad when they are far, far less violent then GTA? But i digress.....

I can't keep reading this thread,, its thick with war talk and militaristic aspirations and making my head hurt :happy0007:

Why? Because when I am playing GTA I am a participant in the game and I interact with the characters. The violence does not bother me because I am in the context also. Somebody chasing me with a gun or in a car, and I fight back or kill them. Sitting in front of a TV and WATCHING violence and listening to a story told to you is a passive act, as an audience and not a participant. In a real life war, the players playing the game have a similar experience as the player of GTA, but the characters and the "map" is real and real people are being sent to die in pointless wars to make a profit for a company. The government is only a customer.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

Why? Because when I am playing GTA I am a participant in the game and I interact with the characters.

Yeah, yongjin! You don't know, ok? 'Cause, you know, you just don't! In the game, OM1 is able to PERPETRATE the violence himself which is TOTALLY different than watching less violence on some TV show beyond your control. :happy0007:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Sheep shagger???
What do you think I am, a New Zealander???

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah, yongjin! You don't know, ok? 'Cause, you know, you just don't! In the game, OM1 is able to PERPETRATE the violence himself which is TOTALLY different than watching less violence on some TV show beyond your control. :happy0007:

PRECISELY! And not only that, the story is not scripted. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Oh, if we can get this game going..............

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
PRECISELY! And not only that, the story is not scripted. :)

Yeah, but I was being sarcastic. Violence is way worse in GTA. Your main character may even become a senseless serial killer. :icon_lol:

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk