Sanctuary episode #404 "Monsoon" *Spoilers*

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
**** :eek: SHOCKING ENDING ALERT :eek: ****

And Will's girlfriend is in this one too.

Discuss at will... :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Yeah, I'm still not decided if it was gratuitous and contrived or if it was good. Granted, I don't have a problem with it, just thought it might be a bit over used in some respects. Then again, for as long as Magnus has lived I guess she's probably tried many things... ;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Definitely gratuitous and overused, plus it was too out of the blue and made no sense at all for Helen's character. It came across as more a PC wave than a logical consequence of the plot. Plus, smooching a dormant carrier of hemhorragic fever is not necessarily a good idea...

It's a pity, as the rest of the episode was good - even Abby was good.

S

Stonelesscutter

Thank god they strayed from the outbreak of abnormals from hollow earth crap this time. This ep was more like Sanctuary oughta be.

I wasn't overjoyed with Abby's part in it. There was some genuine BS there. Like for instance her not telling Will about her new position. It is to be expected that she'd run into the Sanctuary team. Clearly her deductive skills are not up to par with the job she has. In previous episodes she came across to me as sort of a spy and now with this new career move she can't possibly be entrusted with Sanctuary information anymore. I don't see how she ever could be in the first place. Will should have dumped her ass the moment he found out about her deceit. Instead in this episode we get to see Abby dump Will over something rather non important. Well I say "Good riddance!". Be gone and stay gone. Ofcourse I knew that later on they'd get back together again because that's the sort of thing you would expect from this sort of shabby writing. And lo' and behold near the end of the episode they're already about working together and smiling at eachother.
:puke:

Apart from that Abby crap the episode was kinda alright. It was mysterious and that is exactly what Sanctuary needs to be. The thing at the end didn't shock me, though I was surprised. Not that it doesn't make sense. In fact it makes perfect sense to me in retrospect. Though I do agree that it's a little weird kissing someone like that who supposedly carries a virus in her bloodstream that makes Ebola look like the common cold.

S

Stonelesscutter

Yeah, I'm still not decided if it was gratuitous and contrived or if it was good. Granted, I don't have a problem with it, just thought it might be a bit over used in some respects. Then again, for as long as Magnus has lived I guess she's probably tried many things... ;)

Indeed. Let's keep in mind that she was already like 150 years old and that recent events have added 113 years to that. That's a loooong time to experiment, especially if you don't age. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Thank god they strayed from the outbreak of abnormals from hollow earth crap this time. This ep was more like Sanctuary oughta be.

I wasn't overjoyed with Abby's part in it. There was some genuine BS there. Like for instance her not telling Will about her new position. It is to be expected that she'd run into the Sanctuary team. Clearly her deductive skills are not up to par with the job she has. In previous episodes she came across to me as sort of a spy and now with this new career move she can't possibly be entrusted with Sanctuary information anymore. I don't see how she ever could be in the first place. Will should have dumped her ass the moment he found out about her deceit. Instead in this episode we get to see Abby dump Will over something rather non important. Well I say "Good riddance!". Be gone and stay gone. Ofcourse I knew that later on they'd get back together again because that's the sort of thing you would expect from this sort of shabby writing. And lo' and behold near the end of the episode they're already about working together and smiling at eachother.
:puke:

Apart from that Abby crap the episode was kinda alright. It was mysterious and that is exactly what Sanctuary needs to be. The thing at the end didn't shock me, though I was surprised. Not that it doesn't make sense. In fact it makes perfect sense to me in retrospect. Though I do agree that it's a little weird kissing someone like that who supposedly carries a virus in her bloodstream that makes Ebola look like the common cold.

Mmm hmm...tell me about your mother.

200px-Sigmund_Freud_LIFE.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Im getting this one right now....

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OH MY GOD!

This was a great episode! SHOCKER ENDING indeed! Too good to post, even as a spoiler. :samanime20: I didnt like the bits about Abby and the bumbling FBI partner. Abby brings cheesiness to this show IMO. I think it would be better off without her. Will and Henry provided a sidenote with the Steno, but the real cool stuff was in Africa at that airfield. The twists at the end were cool, but that shocker ending...OH MY GOD! I wasnt at all ready for it. My jaw remained dropped for about a minute! Not a bad one, just...jarring!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Um, the "shocker" ending was the height of cheese. Out of nowhere, zero plot logic and felt a lot like it came right out of SGU. To me it brought down what otherwise was a great episode.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Um, the "shocker" ending was the height of cheese. Out of nowhere, zero plot logic and felt a lot like it came right out of SGU. To me it brought down what otherwise was a great episode.

I dont understand the timing or the purpose of that shocker, but wow....it was a shocker! I can imagine Helen dabbling in that over her years, but why this episode and why that particular moment? In Torchwood, such activity was implied, but never really shown like that. Im not sure it belonged in Sanctuary. What if Henry is next?

THX1138

GateFans Member

Actually most revelations about Helen come out of nowhere because that is how they write the character. Giving out little bits of information every now and then.

I dont understand the timing or the purpose of that shocker, but wow....it was a shocker! I can imagine Helen dabbling in that over her years, but why this episode and why that particular moment? In Torchwood, such activity was implied, but never really shown like that. Im not sure it belonged in Sanctuary. What if Henry is next?

Maybe with the way they have the season planned out this was the only episode where it fits in, who knows.

I liked the episode a lot (minus the Will & Abby bits and her idiot partner). I certainly do like it when we get kick arse Magnus :D This week they also addressed some of the financial issues for the Sanctuary in what looks like to be the ongoing theme of going rogue. Next week we get to see Tesla and some more ramifications of the shift in the abnormal world power structure.

As for the ending, it wasn't a shocker for me, gender choices aren't shocking to me. They've always portrayed Magnus as a woman comfortable with her sexuality and we know so little about her, so to me it was simply revealing another layer of her character.

S

Stonelesscutter

Actually most revelations about Helen come out of nowhere because that is how they write the character. Giving out little bits of information every now and then.

Maybe with the way they have the season planned out this was the only episode where it fits in, who knows.

I liked the episode a lot (minus the Will & Abby bits and her idiot partner). I certainly do like it when we get kick arse Magnus :D This week they also addressed some of the financial issues for the Sanctuary in what looks like to be the ongoing theme of going rogue. Next week we get to see Tesla and some more ramifications of the shift in the abnormal world power structure.

As for the ending, it wasn't a shocker for me, gender choices aren't shocking to me. They've always portrayed Magnus as a woman comfortable with her sexuality and we know so little about her, so to me it was simply revealing another layer of her character.

Totally agree on that part.

I'm also wondering what's been going on with Druitt as he was in the season three final but we haven't seen any of him in the first four eps of season 4. Tesla is always good to have. :)

G

Graybrew1

There is a really heated discussion going on at syfy about this ep. It is like night and day from our thread on it.

G

Graybrew1

I think there is far too much shipping on this show period. Did I really have to see Will and Abby post tryst on couch? NO. Give some cool abnormals and stop killing them all off.What is next, big guy at mating season?

S

Stonelesscutter

I think there is far too much shipping on this show period. Did I really have to see Will and Abby post tryst on couch? NO. Give some cool abnormals and stop killing them all off.What is next, big guy at mating season?

Indeed the shipping is annoying. It really has no business in this show. Will and Abby, Henry and ms. Werewolf whatever her name is. I don't want to see that stuff. Then there's Kate the no good character pairing up with some guy from hollow earth who's an even less good character. I mean come on! The only good thing about that so far is that it's seemed to take both of them out of the picture for now. I have a feeling though they'll be back and I'll be cringing while watching their scenes. Now that kiss between Magnus and the chick, that was interesting! I don't need to see more of it though. No developments. Just that kiss is fine as it is. Hinting to something. Revealing a part of a character. No useless soap interaction.

Briangate78

GateFans Noob
There is a really heated discussion going on at syfy about this ep. It is like night and day from our thread on it.

The forum has been slow and kinda boring, so glad for this episode, we had like 200 posts because of this episode alone. Of course take away 50 or 60 for the deletions, lol.

Anyway, pretty good episode. A lot of twists at the end which was cool.

G

Graybrew1

The forum has been slow and kinda boring, so glad for this episode, we had like 200 posts because of this episode alone. Of course take away 50 or 60 for the deletions, lol.Anyway, pretty good episode. A lot of twists at the end which was cool.
I agree, aside from shipping, this was a great ep. I do wonder about the bad guy that was bullet proof. Did he really blow or will he turn up again. He could have been good new more complex rival.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The forum has been slow and kinda boring, so glad for this episode, we had like 200 posts because of this episode alone. Of course take away 50 or 60 for the deletions, lol.

Anyway, pretty good episode. A lot of twists at the end which was cool.

Hey bro, good to see you. So, this episode generated more then 200 posts? Wow. Were they alll mostly in shock, dismayed, disgusted, excited...?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

It's part of why I have gotten a little disenchanted with the show - but so far just a little. I'm sick of having shipping all over the place in every show. Sanctuary is not supposed to be about who's snogging who - it is supposed to be about the Sanctuary team interacting with Abnormals. Let's get back to basics and shelve ALL the shipping.