Role-playing, Tabletop games and Card games

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
So as to prevent other threads being impinged upon I thought a new thread for this subject was in order. Speaking for me I have been a gamer for 27 years. I have played nearly every game and system that has ever been released in Australia and I own many of them. So, what have you played and enjoyed?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
So as to prevent other threads being impinged upon I thought a new thread for this subject was in order. Speaking for me I have been a gamer for 27 years. I have played nearly every game and system that has ever been released in Australia and I own many of them. So, what have you played and enjoyed?

My RPG experience is limited (I have done DM work for Twilight 2000, Traveller (original) and Gamma World). Mostly I am a boardgamer (GMT, Avalon Hill, SPI, GDW, MMP, etc.). In fact I am a GM and Seminar Presenter at the World Boardgaming Championships (http://www.boardgamers.org).

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
My RPG experience is limited (I have done DM work for Twilight 2000, Traveller (original) and Gamma World). Mostly I am a boardgamer (GMT, Avalon Hill, SPI, GDW, MMP, etc.). In fact I am a GM and Seminar Presenter at the World Boardgaming Championships (http://www.boardgamers.org).

Very cool Joe :)
I haven't played alot of "boardgames" (though I do like the 18-series of train games). My local games store has many dedicated boardgamers and has a room full of boardgames for people to play, but on the night they play the most I'm at home with the kids.
RPG's though, yeah, played heaps of them and run games at conventions as well. I do prefer playing however.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
So no other Roleplayers besides Joelist and I?

G

Graybrew1

I have played Final Fantasy X and XIII, isn't that RPG? I played Gauntlet before that.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear

SciphonicStranger

There were a couple Elder Scrolls games that I enjoyed - Morrowind and Oblivion. They both have a significant time commitment to complete though.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Third-party-facepalm.jpg

Dear gods people what kind of geeks are you!! :laughing:

Role playing games, Ya know, with dice and chararacter sheets and a Gamesmaster and such.......... Dungeons and Dragons for gods sake!!, not this wanna be RPG junk you see on computers!!
Boardgames like Axis and Allies, Shogun, Diplomacy and Carcassone
Card games like Magic, Bang, Guillotene, grass, and Pimp.

G

Graybrew1

Third-party-facepalm.jpg

Dear gods people what kind of geeks are you!! :laughing:

Role playing games, Ya know, with dice and chararacter sheets and a Gamesmaster and such.......... Dungeons and Dragons for gods sake!!, not this wanna be RPG junk you see on computers!!
Boardgames like Axis and Allies, Shogun, Diplomacy and Carcassone
Card games like Magic, Bang, Guillotene, grass, and Pimp.

LOL. Okay then.......................................NO.

I have never done that before in my life. :P

SciphonicStranger

:facepalm: :biggrin:

Played D&D once or twice years ago and never got into it. Carry on. :P

G

Graybrew1

Here, check out this place sometime when you have some spare time:
http://www.daysofknights.com/index2.html

There is so many things running through my head that I could say right now, but I'll just say, I don't have anybody to Role Play with in RL so that is not going to work for me. LOL. :P :icon_e_wink:
I assume you don't do it by yourself right? Do you dress up? :icon_eek:

And who you calling a Geek Mister? Takes one to know one. :biggrin:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
There is so many things running through my head that I could say right now, but I'll just say, I don't have anybody to Role Play with in RL so that is not going to work for me. LOL. :P :icon_e_wink:
I assume you don't do it by yourself right? Do you dress up? :icon_eek:

And who you calling a Geek Mister? Takes one to know one. :biggrin:

The "Dress up" bit is a pretty specific part of the RPG scene, more commonly known as "LARPing" (Live Action Role Playing) It was something I did briefly (usually at conventions) but I never really got into it that much.

And I embrace my inner geek (actually, it's not even inner, it's very much outer :D )
A roleplaying group can consist of a group as small as 2 people (Gamesmaster and asingle player) or up to around 7 (1 GM, 6 players). It depends on the game you want to play. Games like James Bond are good with just 2, D&D is best at 5 these days. It really depends on the game. Check out that shop sometime (it's one I randomly found in Delaware), you might find a new hobby :D

G

Graybrew1

The "Dress up" bit is a pretty specific part of the RPG scene, more commonly known as "LARPing" (Live Action Role Playing) It was something I did briefly (usually at conventions) but I never really got into it that much.

And I embrace my inner geek (actually, it's not even inner, it's very much outer :D )
A roleplaying group can consist of a group as small as 2 people (Gamesmaster and asingle player) or up to around 7 (1 GM, 6 players). It depends on the game you want to play. Games like James Bond are good with just 2, D&D is best at 5 these days. It really depends on the game. Check out that shop sometime (it's one I randomly found in Delaware), you might find a new hobby :D

LOL. I will put it in the vault for now. I can't see me walking into a shop full of strangers and asking them to Role Play with me. I assume you do it with friends. Most I know don't even watch Scifi.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
LOL. I will put it in the vault for now. I can't see me walking into a shop full of strangers and asking them to Role Play with me. I assume you do it with friends. Most I know don't even watch Scifi.

Nah, you just wander in and start watching other games (usually boardgames) and such, alot of stores have notice boards where they post requests looking for gamers and such. Roleplayers generally tend to be a fairly friendly bunch on the whole :P

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
I've played scrabble, risk, monopoly, catan, and probably a few more. Really only play scrabble now if I get a chance. Would be cool if scrabble was a game here.

I propose graybrew roleplay as a nudist. *crosses fingers* lol

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I've played scrabble, risk, monopoly, catan, and probably a few more. Really only play scrabble now if I get a chance. Would be cool if scrabble was a game here.

I propose graybrew roleplay as a nudist. *crosses fingers* lol

There are a couple of Call of Cthulhu boardgames like Arkham Horror around dude :P

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
hmmm, hard to picture a Cthulhu game, especially when it usually ends in death and destruction. Unless he's treated as a regular monster or zelda boss type thing?