Rise of the Planet of the Apes

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It better be more than just effects and visuals.

Hmmm... CGI this time. Interesting...
Is this going to be a remake of the 70's Planet of the Apes saga, or a re-imagining like the more recent one with Mike Wahlberg?

They need to forget about making the apes so realistic and concentrate on the STORY. Thats the reason I didnt like Tim Burton's PoA remake. The effects and the look of the apes and their movements was SUPERB, but the story totally sucked and made no sense at all. I dont like them concentrating on how good the apes look as much as the story. PoA is all about a causality loop and time travel, not just about the apes.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Rise of the Planet of the Apes clips show off David Hewlett’s dark side

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YazT1gXZBQs

A serious Mr. Hewlett. Oh and btw, that chimp is entirely CGI

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
This is a sad comedown from the pretty cool original "Conquest of the Planet of the Apes".

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
:rotflmao:Mckay getting his arse kicked was great! and I really enjoyed the CGI apes...honestly this "version" of the story makes more sense than the original did (although who can replace Ricardo Montalban?) and it fits in well with today's science hopes.

S

Stonelesscutter

An interesting movie to look out for.
McKay sure took a beating. :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
:rotflmao:Mckay getting his arse kicked was great! and I really enjoyed the CGI apes...honestly this "version" of the story makes more sense than the original did (although who can replace Ricardo Montalban?) and it fits in well with today's science hopes.

I agree...it makes more scientific sense. The original never addressed how the apes suddenly acquired the power of speech. Time passing would not do it. It makes sense that a captive ape which is genetically altered might accomplish that. Im looking forward to it. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually I think it was addressed in Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (original) as being a side effect of the plague that eliminated the dogs and cats.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
I just watched it and it was surprisingly pretty good. I'd recommend it. They really did the whole transformation and beginnings pretty well although the human response was a bit unrealistic. But otherwise, I really enjoy the movies where you start to sympathize with the non-human characters who have little to no dialogue. To me, that just speaks to the powerful emotional aspect of the storytelling.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I liked the idea of how the rise happens better than what they did with the original series. I can see someone "monkeying" ;) with DNA and it made more sense than spontanious evolution over one generation did. :P

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Saw it on Saturday . Those apes are some tough ombres . I got a big kick out of David Hewlitt .

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
i just watched it and it was surprisingly pretty good. I'd recommend it. They really did the whole transformation and beginnings pretty well although the human response was a bit unrealistic. But otherwise, i really enjoy the movies where you start to sympathize with the non-human characters who have little to no dialogue. To me, that just speaks to the powerful emotional aspect of the storytelling.

i want to see this!

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Yeah, Hewlett was there and the assassin guy from SG-1, the guy that was in SGU. I'm glad to see Hewlett getting more roles, he was in Splice too.

S

Stonelesscutter

I saw Hewlett in the trailer. He got slapped around pretty badly. :) Have yet to see the movie.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This movie is AWESOME!

OMG, real science fiction! This movie was AWESOME! Like Rac80 said, this one made much more sense than the original did, scientifically. I cant talk about that without spoiling it, so suffice it to say that this PotA is a MUST SEE, far surpassing the original set of movies, and it is obvious that all 5 movies (or more) will tell the saga all over again. If the quality of the science part of the fiction remains as good as it did in this movie, the rest of them will be BLOCKBUSTERS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQHqNxyEaws

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Actually I think it was addressed in Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (original) as being a side effect of the plague that eliminated the dogs and cats.

Yes, it was implied. But it still doesnt make sense scientifically speaking. A virus is not going to cause that type of a mutation unless there is an active restructuring of the simian brain that goes with it. This movie clearly addressed it. But you are right, it was implied in Conquest by Montalban's character explaining it to Caesar.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I agree...it makes more scientific sense. The original never addressed how the apes suddenly acquired the power of speech. Time passing would not do it. It makes sense that a captive ape which is genetically altered might accomplish that. Im looking forward to it. :)

Didn't "Escape from the Planet of the Apes" of the original series imply causality as the origin of taking apes? Basically, Cornelius and Zira were the Adam and Eve of the future ape race. They somehow came back through time, when the Earth exploded, in the capsule the astronauts originally arrived with in the future. They had a child and left the baby in a cage with a gorilla knowing they wouldn't make it. At the end of the movie, the baby chimp says, "Mama!".