Programming Mobile

heisenberg

Earl Grey
They are not bad! I only know about Coursera from a referral. I don't know about the others. FREE is a no-brainer, but watch out for the parts of the courses which ask for your money to access the "special" features.
I did a Coursera course "introduction to databases" once and it was good. That was still before they and others like them really took off. It was free.

I also started a Udacity course once but never got around to finishing it. They are really good for tech stuff as you learn more modern things than you would at school.

I haven't yet tried any of the paid courses but have been considering that for a while. Problem is when I have time I don't have money and vice versa.
What's the difference between these and those that cost 10k for a diploma? I am doing this to diversify into a new skillset. I think it's time that I change myself as I am not happy with doing these low end jobs. I much prefer being around computers as I grew up with them and it's familiar to me.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
What's the difference between these and those that cost 10k for a diploma? I am doing this to diversify into a new skillset. I think it's time that I change myself as I am not happy with doing these low end jobs. I much prefer being around computers as I grew up with them and it's familiar to me.

Well for the most part, not much (the bolded). In IT, the companies will usually test your skills no matter what degree or certifications you present. For management positions, they will usually require some sort of degree but not always (maybe 50/50). Take the courses to get the skills, and be sure to set up a home lab for yourself.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan

The biggest difference is that you can do these courses from your home at your own time and speed generally, although if you're paying for a course you will surely have to produce results in order to pass some tests and receive some kind of certification.

What's good about these courses is that they're generally fairly short but they do tend to dive into the specific topic very well and are quite well structured for beginners as well as more experienced participants.

You can take one of these courses in a topic which has your interest and if it turns out you don't like it then you just leave it at that. You don't have to enroll in a degree course where you have to follow all kinds of topics for an extended period. If you do like it on the other hand you have the option of several follow-up courses.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I did a Coursera course "introduction to databases" once and it was good. That was still before they and others like them really took off. It was free.

I also started a Udacity course once but never got around to finishing it. They are really good for tech stuff as you learn more modern things than you would at school.

I haven't yet tried any of the paid courses but have been considering that for a while. Problem is when I have time I don't have money and vice versa.

The bolded is key. Unless you give yourself a way to exercise the stuff you learn hands on, you won't remember it. Setting up a lab with VMware Workstation or VirtualBox or Parallels or some virtualization platform will let you do that. I prefer VMware because you can internally network the computers within the hypervisor. That means you could have a domain controller and networked workstations all virtual.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Well for the most part, not much (the bolded). In IT, the companies will usually test your skills no matter what degree or certifications you present. For management positions, they will usually require some sort of degree but not always (maybe 50/50). Take the courses to get the skills, and be sure to set up a home lab for yourself.
The biggest difference is that you can do these courses from your home at your own time and speed generally, although if you're paying for a course you will surely have to produce results in order to pass some tests and receive some kind of certification.

What's good about these courses is that they're generally fairly short but they do tend to dive into the specific topic very well and are quite well structured for beginners as well as more experienced participants.

You can take one of these courses in a topic which has your interest and if it turns out you don't like it then you just leave it at that. You don't have to enroll in a degree course where you have to follow all kinds of topics for an extended period. If you do like it on the other hand you have the option of several follow-up courses.
Yeah I need to do this because I have become stagnant in growth and unfortunately I don't see much from where I am at with the current skillset I have. I hate these stupid office jobs that literally feel like a prison and you are forced to work as a slave, follow a 'schedule' or a roster.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I am gonna sign up for that one too! Maybe we can open a "Study Hall" thread :)

EDIT: I just signed up for that course. Thanks for mentioning that one!
I see the task in front of me and then I look behind my shoulder of the amount of failures I have had. You just wonder, if it's wasting time after this crap or not? There is always someone that is smarter, better than you, so why bother? I rather live an ordinary life rather than trying to be the next zucherberg. I have worked with many high profile peoples and organisations in the past, but I have always been given the wrong end of the stick. They are, how should I put it politely, assholes. They all pretend to be on your side and will be nice to you at first, but when they are done with you, they throw you off a bus and you are forced to fend for yourself. That is so heart breaking and very difficult to overcome. I still don't know if this is what I want to do? I like computers but seriously, with the way these guys are taking tech and with how lazy we(and myself including) have become, you just wonder, what other crap are they going to bring out?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I see the task in front of me and then I look behind my shoulder of the amount of failures I have had. You just wonder, if it's wasting time after this crap or not? There is always someone that is smarter, better than you, so why bother? I rather live an ordinary life rather than trying to be the next zucherberg. I have worked with many high profile peoples and organisations in the past, but I have always been given the wrong end of the stick. They are, how should I put it politely, assholes. They all pretend to be on your side and will be nice to you at first, but when they are done with you, they throw you off a bus and you are forced to fend for yourself. That is so heart breaking and very difficult to overcome. I still don't know if this is what I want to do? I like computers but seriously, with the way these guys are taking tech and with how lazy we(and myself including) have become, you just wonder, what other crap are they going to bring out?
You don't have to strive to be successful like Zuckerberg or however his name is spelled. It's about doing something for yourself. Just trying to start a course doesn't obligate you to anything. You will learn something even when the only thing you learn is that it's not for you. Chances are however that you will like it since you are already fond of computers. Start with something small. Then do more and different small things. Before you know it you will come up with your own ideas about how you might combine the things you learned and be able to pinpoint which skills you could learn to complement your skills further in order to be able to materialize your ideas into something tangible.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I see the task in front of me and then I look behind my shoulder of the amount of failures I have had. You just wonder, if it's wasting time after this crap or not? There is always someone that is smarter, better than you, so why bother? I rather live an ordinary life rather than trying to be the next zucherberg.

You are so hard on yourself dude! I am tempted to come out to wherever you are and give you a shot of confidence! Look back and find the accomplishments and focus on those. What you are calling "failures" can be seen as lessons. You seem to have a natural affinity for computers which is an awesome sign if you are planning on going into IT. I could have let many factors stop me from going into IT. There are not many like me in the field, for one thing. I do not have a Computer Science degree, I am over 50 competing in a field which is now dominated by 20-somethings in the candidate pool, so many things. But I can't imagine doing anything else but IT and computer related work, so my movement in IT is always purpose driven. You are being your worst critic! You really need a confidence builder.

I have worked with many high profile peoples and organisations in the past, but I have always been given the wrong end of the stick. They are, how should I put it politely, assholes. They all pretend to be on your side and will be nice to you at first, but when they are done with you, they throw you off a bus and you are forced to fend for yourself. That is so heart breaking and very difficult to overcome. I still don't know if this is what I want to do? I like computers but seriously, with the way these guys are taking tech and with how lazy we(and myself including) have become, you just wonder, what other crap are they going to bring out?

I know how that feels. :) Here I am, a brown skinned older guy with no CS degree competing with kids with fresh degrees for jobs in IT. And why am I still a valuable commodity? It's because my decades of experience and provable skills in the modern tech environment. I can "hit the ground running", unlike 95% of those who are fresh graduates. Take these courses, DUMP the assholes because you do not need them. Stop waiting for others to give you the stick, just TAKE it using the same tactics they are using. Or even better, whittle your own stick which can only be used by you. Find your unique strengths. Work on your resume with a confident friend. Maybe get laid? :icon_lol:

You are a knowledgeable guy and you are always seeking out ways to improve yourself and that is an asset. You are also unique, and that means nobody else out there is going to be able to offer whatever you are offering in quite the same way. Make that work for you. Lord Ba'al is a great example of somebody who punches through obstacles, with what I know of him. Same with the others here including me. Let us be your support!

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You don't have to strive to be successful like Zuckerberg or however his name is spelled. It's about doing something for yourself. Just trying to start a course doesn't obligate you to anything. You will learn something even when the only thing you learn is that it's not for you. Chances are however that you will like it since you are already fond of computers. Start with something small. Then do more and different small things. Before you know it you will come up with your own ideas about how you might combine the things you learned and be able to pinpoint which skills you could learn to complement your skills further in order to be able to materialize your ideas into something tangible.

This is GREAT advice.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
By the way, I am going to revisit the discussion about which programming language to learn when doing apps, and I am going to say again that it should probably be Java and not VB (despite your previous familiarity with it). Java remains BY FAR the most widely used Android programming language, and almost all of the mature tools available for mobile programming assume you are using Java. Also, remember that there are millions more Android phones out there than Apple phones and Windows combined. The courses at Udemy don't even go into VB, and the two DevOps labs I have worked around use Java.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I don't want to him actually. I would hate to be a celebrity. Everyone watching you and wanting to know everything about you and prying into your personal life. I also enjoy my own personal liberties which you wouldn't get if you were a celebrity. You also turn into a snob elitist asshole that only cares about himself and not the people around him. If these rich folks really did want to end "insert agenda here" it would have been gone a long time ago.
You know why this started this? It was basically monkey see, monkey do. The rich folks see these small group of people who abuse the system and then accuse everyone of doing it so they rob decent people out of work so they are forced to think other ways of making ends meet. Unfortunately, some people lack the sophisticated mind set to know that if they are malicious, they'll get caught and ruin their life within 5 minutes. This ultimate is how crime started and unfortunately, no matter how many these people try, life on this planet for a lot of people is just going to get stranger, more potent and down right scary as the years past by. The laws of newton very much apply in this situation(for action there is an opposite reaction).

You are so hard on yourself dude! I am tempted to come out to wherever you are and give you a shot of confidence! Look back and find the accomplishments and focus on those. What you are calling "failures" can be seen as lessons. You seem to have a natural affinity for computers which is an awesome sign if you are planning on going into IT. I could have let many factors stop me from going into IT. There are not many like me in the field, for one thing. I do not have a Computer Science degree, I am over 50 competing in a field which is now dominated by 20-somethings in the candidate pool, so many things. But I can't imagine doing anything else but IT and computer related work, so my movement in IT is always purpose driven. You are being your worst critic! You really need a confidence builder.

I know how that feels. :) Here I am, a brown skinned older guy with no CS degree competing with kids with fresh degrees for jobs in IT. And why am I still a valuable commodity? It's because my decades of experience and provable skills in the modern tech environment. I can "hit the ground running", unlike 95% of those who are fresh graduates. Take these courses, DUMP the assholes because you do not need them. Stop waiting for others to give you the stick, just TAKE it using the same tactics they are using. Or even better, whittle your own stick which can only be used by you. Find your unique strengths. Work on your resume with a confident friend. Maybe get laid? :icon_lol:

You are a knowledgeable guy and you are always seeking out ways to improve yourself and that is an asset. You are also unique, and that means nobody else out there is going to be able to offer whatever you are offering in quite the same way. Make that work for you. Lord Ba'al is a great example of somebody who punches through obstacles, with what I know of him. Same with the others here including me. Let us be your support!
I have to be. Do you know how expensive it is to live in this country? Renting for a decent house costs between 380 to 550 a week.
https://www.realestateview.com.au/p...t&ftl=&loc=&regions=Brisbane&iss=True&pt=&Kw=

No, not a month, a week! Our wages don't go up. Instead we are forced to look for work that offer higher wages and that's the best way to keep afloat. Because of this stagnant of income, it has forced companies to artificially raise the cost of goods to ridiculous levels because they can. Everything here is expensive, everything. They did it with solar too. Because solar was the big thing, companies were losing money so what did they do? Raise the price by 12%. Our power bills if it weren't for solar would be 4-700 dollars per quarter depending on how many people you have. Gas is okay but twice as expensive as America. I try to keep the garbage expenses to a minimum and unlike most people, save money for a rainy day.

People think I am too cynical but I am not being cynical when I am seeing reality that life in this country is hard because the rich folks have made it hard. They've placed these barriers to entry on purpose because they want more for themselves and less for others. I tried to do a degree but university isn't for me. It just doesn't feel like 'learning' but a way of memorizing shit that you'll forget later on. Here is the other catch, when you go apply for a job, your degree becomes useless. The irony of jobs hunting is that employers here are now adopting a similar model to what you guys in America adopt. It's that typical bureaucracy, corporate men in suit culture that only the elitist get hired. No one is given a fair chance. They are after experience but I ask, how do you get experience if you don't get given a chance to work?

I am predicting a heavy recession in this country. Things are too good to keep this up. Record low inflation, record consecutive GDP growth, no recession but I think we will soon hit the brakes and then a massive fracture will appear in the economy.

Last edited:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I am confused. Not long ago this thread started by you saying you wanted to learn programming and were interested in these courses. Now it seems you have adopted a quite different mindset.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I am confused. Not long ago this thread started by you saying you wanted to learn programming and were interested in these courses. Now it seems you have adopted a quite different mindset.
Mood swings. I am like george carlin

Last edited: