Programming Mobile

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Google takes the exact same sales cut Apple does. And the Apple license is $99 versus Google’s $25. As to dictating UI, Apple has human interface guidelines and yes they actively curate their Store (something which Google has gotten blasted for not doing in the past when they have had problematic apps in the store). I could make a point that having UI requirements is a good thing for users if it promotes consistency in the UI across apps.

Really the only financial difference is Apple charges $74 more for their license.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Google takes the exact same sales cut Apple does. And the Apple license is $99 versus Google’s $25. As to dictating UI, Apple has human interface guidelines and yes they actively curate their Store (something which Google has gotten blasted for not doing in the past when they have had problematic apps in the store). I could make a point that having UI requirements is a good thing for users if it promotes consistency in the UI across apps.

Really the only financial difference is Apple charges $74 more for their license.

The developer restrictions from Apple are draconian compared to Google.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Grab the Community edition - it's free.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
How about an app which uses the phone sensors to somehow tell which girls are horny/receptive, and which are not? :P

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
How about a death ray app? You point your phone at the target, hit the magic button and a bolt of pure energy shoots out of the phone and flames the target!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Things I am waiting for in a smartphone:

• Infrared/ultraviolet camera capability
  • Bio scanners
  • Integrated LED projector (not for large viewing, just maybe a 24" screen image)
Gimme dis sheeyat!

How about an app which uses the phone sensors to somehow tell which girls are horny/receptive, and which are not? :P

This would be a pointless app as women are never horny or receptive. They just pretend to be until they can figure out if you earn enough money to make it worth their while to bleed you dry and destroy your life before they move on to their next target. Conversely, an app that pinpointed exploitative women would be just as useless because whenever you left the house your phone would overheat and explode due to all the hits the app was finding in the female population. :stung:

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Why do you want infrared and ultraviolet cameras and a bioscanner? That's a huge privacy breach. Also The last one is already available.

https://moviphones.com/pages/order

Demo

I want to be able to take infrared photos and ultraviolet photos. But how is that a privacy breach? I didn't say X-ray! :) I just want the option to take video or photos in those wavelengths. I already have enough resolution. The bioscanner is for me, not anyone else. I want to be able to use my phone on my body (or somebody else's body with their permission) like a tricorder. That is what is in my mind when I comment on the features. I want my smartphone to be much more like a tricorder.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
How about a tricorder app then.

When you touch the screen, it makes tricorder sounds.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well there you go. Why are you suggesting an idea for an app that already exists? ;)

Nah, I want the actual sensors to be included in the hardware:

Infrared optical sensor (this technology exists for digital cameras not on phones)
Ultraviolet optical sensor (see above, this tech already is available for cameras)
Bioelectric sensor (this technology is not really available right now on the consumer level)

I don't want just the look of a tricorder functionality, I want the actual functionality.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
What's people's opinion on these free courses at Udacity, Edx and Coursea?

https://www.edx.org/
https://www.coursera.org/
https://www.udacity.com/
I did a Coursera course "introduction to databases" once and it was good. That was still before they and others like them really took off. It was free.

I also started a Udacity course once but never got around to finishing it. They are really good for tech stuff as you learn more modern things than you would at school.

I haven't yet tried any of the paid courses but have been considering that for a while. Problem is when I have time I don't have money and vice versa.

I did a Coursera course "introduction to databases" once and it was good. That was still before they and others like them really took off. It was free.

I also started a Udacity course once but never got around to finishing it. They are really good for tech stuff as you learn more modern things than you would at school.

I haven't yet tried any of the paid courses but have been considering that for a while. Problem is when I have time I don't have money and vice versa.

You'll never achieve world domination with that attitude.