Pacific Rim - GateFans Member Review (Joelist)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Back from the woods of Michigan (fishing).

Hi Overmind!

See why I liked this film? It is like I said - a big love letter from Del Toro to all us Kaiju film fans.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Back from the woods of Michigan (fishing).

Hi Overmind!

See why I liked this film? It is like I said - a big love letter from Del Toro to all us Kaiju film fans.

I was actually quite surprised. :) In this movie, they gave a scifi-plausible reason why the kaigu have been appearing on earth over the centuries and the most recent decades. They retroactively fixed the problem there, as well as why they all look different but are all hellbent creatures hellbent on destroying. The addition of the Jaegers I believe is a direct influence of the Transformers movies, but in this movie they make much more sense than the Transformers. I like the idea of neural drifting they used for the Jaegers as well as the kaigu. There is so much in this movie I loved, and it is 100% a kaiju movie...the best ever made. I think they need to find a way to either reopen the breach or to have the kaigu regenerating after they have been here a while. This needs sequels...lots of them. :)

I think that whole "brink of eliminating the Jaegers for the coastal wall" thing was hokey, because there is no reason to believe that the wall would ever hold back a kaigu. I did not see any force fields like on Monster Zero. But then this movie does not refer to Godzilla or any of the classic kaigu. But they DO mention the dinosaurs and say that they were kaigu as well. Overall, a thoroughly entertaining movie worthy of the kaigu tradition. Indeed, sitting over it as it's best example. :)

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Agreed. You could tell that rather more thought went into this story than you typically see from a "blockbuster" film. And the story hangs together well also.

I also really liked how the Jaegers had personalities. Not that they were sentient robots but rather in how they were built and their fighting methods. Cherno Alpha is a big, ugly tank. Crimson Typhoon is quick and slick with all the blades, Striker Eureka is the really advanced, high tech Jaeger that uses missiles and also blades.

And then there is the "hero" Jaeger - Gipsy Danger.

Gipsy looks like it has been around the block a few times and is not the newest or the most advanced (although Mako when she supervised its rebuild added some nice accessories). It looks, moves and fights like a tough, old, grizzled warrior.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
As to the idea for the Jaegers, Del Toro said the germ came from movies like Godzilla versus Mechagodzilla and a big influence also was anime like Neon Genesis. Both of which he was a fan of.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Del Toro has mentioned Neon Genesis before but not sure about Bubblegum Crisis.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It is faintly related to the Pacific Rim type of story but we were discussing what inspired Del Toro on the Jaegers. I know he has mentioned Mechagodzilla and Neon Genesis but don't recall him mentioning Bubblegum Crisis - it would be interesting if there is something out there saying it was one of the inspirations.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
It is faintly related to the Pacific Rim type of story but we were discussing what inspired Del Toro on the Jaegers. I know he has mentioned Mechagodzilla and Neon Genesis but don't recall him mentioning Bubblegum Crisis - it would be interesting if there is something out there saying it was one of the inspirations.

That's not what I asked :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

That is twice you have mentioned Mechagodzilla, but when you see how each Jaeger was different in design and function , it made each one essentially an individual. The way they were deployed was not the same as Mechagodzilla. They seem closer to transformers to me in feel, but then again the Jaegers never once disconnected us from the nature of them, which is a giant humanoid VEHICLE which is piloted by two or more humans. The transformers are sentient (and drama queens as well). :anim_59: Overall, in this movie the Jaegers are worthy of admiration in their own right. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Oh, I indeed agree that the Jaegers are excellently realized in the film and a great idea. I was just referring to where Del Toro said he got the beginnings of the idea from.

And yes, I did see Bubblegum Crisis once on video. Not bad.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That is twice you have mentioned Mechagodzilla, but when you see how each Jaeger was different in design and function , it made each one essentially an individual. The way they were deployed was not the same as Mechagodzilla. They seem closer to transformers to me in feel, but then again the Jaegers never once disconnected us from the nature of them, which is a giant humanoid VEHICLE which is piloted by two or more humans. The transformers are sentient (and drama queens as well). :anim_59: Overall, in this movie the Jaegers are worthy of admiration in their own right. :)

I agree. My posts above note that fact as well (how Cherno Alpha is completely different from Crimson Typhoon and so on). And I also really liked that the movie kept you connected to the fact that these were not "sentient" robots but instead big war machines that had living human beings inside them piloting them.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Got my Amazon streaming copy going. This is just as spectacular as I remember it.

The battle between Gipsy Danger and Leatherback and Otachi has to be one if the (if not THE) greatest Giant Monster battles ever put in a Kaiju film. And it played perfectly into the Raleigh and Mako characters as they poured their own traumas they were fighting into how they handled Gipsy in combat - under their piloting Gipsy fought like a street fighter.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Watching this now for the first time.

Why is it when you want some crazy arse shit done like dropping a nuke into a dimensional breach, you get an Aussie?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Ok, all done.

You could get as much fake fighting on the WWE, but give them some mecha suits, and some giant lizards, and it's SCFI!!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Welcome back! Missed you!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Got my Amazon streaming copy going. This is just as spectacular as I remember it.

The battle between Gipsy Danger and Leatherback and Otachi has to be one if the (if not THE) greatest Giant Monster battles ever put in a Kaiju film. And it played perfectly into the Raleigh and Mako characters as they poured their own traumas they were fighting into how they handled Gipsy in combat - under their piloting Gipsy fought like a street fighter.

Pacific Rim is THE best kaiju film ever made, ever. :) I absolutely love the movie. And it wasnt just the visuals in the movie that made it great, it was done in classic kaiju style (the writing). The central character who has battle skills in the other movies were characters like Katsuo. But in Pacific Rim we had Mako as a female counterpart. It was just the best kaiju film made. Perhaps that is why I felt a bit of disappointment when I saw Godzilla 2014.