OMG! Almond milk ...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I LOVE chocolate milk once in a while. I'm going to give that a try. Thanks for the idea.

I miss the smaller sized carton. They are using regular sized milk cartons for it now and I dont drink it fast enough to use it in 7 days. Any advice on how to extend the life of it?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I miss th3e smaller sized carton. They are using regular sized milk cartons for it now and I dont drink it fast enough to use it in 7 days. Any advice on how to extend the life of it?

I couldn't tell you, to be honest. I didn't even know it went rancid after 7 days. An open carton doesn't last the day here. :(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I couldn't tell you, to be honest. I didn't even know it went rancid after 7 days. An open carton doesn't last the day here. :(

It doesnt really go rancid, the taste just changes a bit...I have been drinking it for a couple of years, and it is always Almond Breeze and no other brand, so I can taste subtle differences. It is perfectly safe to drink even after two weeks in the fridge, but it will taste slightly different. Dont start worrying about it going rancid!

Bluce Ree

It doesnt really go rancid, the taste just changes a bit...I have been drinking it for a couple of years, and it is always Almond Breeze and no other brand, so I can taste subtle differences. It is perfectly safe to drink even after two weeks in the fridge, but it will taste slightly different. Dont start worrying about it going rancid!

:icon_lol: Thanks, bro. Even if it did go rancid, an open carton barely lasts the day. Almond Breeze original unsweetened is the only brand I get. I tried Silk's for the heck of it and it's really watery.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
:icon_lol: Thanks, bro. Even if it did go rancid, an open carton barely lasts the day. Almond Breeze original unsweetened is the only brand I get. I tried Silk's for the heck of it and it's really watery.

Where do you get unsweetened almond milk? Everything I come across at the stores I go to contains cane sugar. I would have been buying the stuff for years now had it not been loaded with sugar.

(Incidentally, "Sugar", or more phonetically "Shugah", was my street name for a brief period in the 90's. Sometimes I miss being a pimp. :( )

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Where do you get unsweetened almond milk? Everything I come across at the stores I go to contains cane sugar. I would have been buying the stuff for years now had it not been loaded with sugar.

They are pushing the flavored ones because they want to compete with the milk industry. But the reality is that the best selling version of Almond Breeze is the unsweetened (called "Original"). Avoid all the others. I started buying it when it was in the unrefrigerated "health foods" section. It came in a much smaller carton. Now, it comes in the same 1/2 gal containers that cow's milk comes in and is sold chilled in the milk section. It only needs to be chilled after opening. It can remain unrefrigerated and unchilled for months and months. :)

(Incidentally, "Sugar", or more phonetically "Shugah", was my street name for a brief period in the 90's. Sometimes I miss being a pimp. :( )
ERROR: Suspension of belief subroutine failed to initialize.

:icon_lol:

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
Guys, I'm really starting to think I NEED some almond milk now.

Incidentally I'm in Australia soon and my mate's partner there is a vegetarian - maybe they'll actually have some almond milk for me to try. The pieces are all falling into place.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Guys, I'm really starting to think I NEED some almond milk now.

Incidentally I'm in Australia soon and my mate's partner there is a vegetarian - maybe they'll actually have some almond milk for me to try. The pieces are all falling into place.

It really IS awesome. Its is a 100% replacement for cow's milk and is 100% vegan approved. It is rich tasting, and is so good you can drink it straight, or you can make smoothies or whatever you would use cow's milk in. My favorite uses are in smoothies, and in eating my high fiber cereals. Wanna be a convincing advocate of almond milk? Then buy some and try it! You will be telling EVERYONE about your new "secret". Almonds are good for you and extremely low carb. No lactose intolerance or bad smelling intestinal gas. :) Im not usually brand conscious, but Diamond's Almond Breeze is the best...I have bought others, but they are inferior in quality. It will cost about 10-20% less than cow's milk. You should now be able to find it in the same section as creamers and milk. Some smaller stores still have it on the shelves in the health food section (not chilled). You can even impress and make your own with a magic bullet grinder and fresh almonds. :)

Bluce Ree

It really IS awesome. Its is a 100% replacement for cow's milk and is 100% vegan approved. It is rich tasting, and is so good you can drink it straight, or you can make smoothies or whatever you would use cow's milk in. My favorite uses are in smoothies, and in eating my high fiber cereals. Wanna be a convincing advocate of almond milk? Then buy some and try it! You will be telling EVERYONE about your new "secret". Almonds are good for you and extremely low carb. No lactose intolerance or bad smelling intestinal gas. :) Im not usually brand conscious, but Diamond's Almond Breeze is the best...I have bought others, but they are inferior in quality. It will cost about 10-20% less than cow's milk. You should now be able to find it in the same section as creamers and milk. Some smaller stores still have it on the shelves in the health food section (not chilled). You can even impress and make your own with a magic bullet grinder and fresh almonds. :)

I am an Almond Milk addict.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I am an Almond Milk addict.

Im getting there. :) This chart is interesting:

Capture.JPG

According to that chart, almond milk is not a good source of Vitamin D or Calcium, and I take supplements for those two nutrients so Im okay. But for those who are counting on the calcium content of cow's milk, be aware that the human body CANNOT use it:

http://www.waoy.org/9.html

[FONT='Times New Roman', Times, serif]But don't we need to drink milk to get calcium? No. The best way to add calcium to your diet is to eat more fresh green vegetables. Cow's milk is high in calcium, but Dr. Ellis explains, the problem is that it is in a form that cannot be assimilated very well by humans. Dr. Ellis states, "Thousands and thousands of blood tests I've conducted show that people who drink 3 or 4 glasses of milk a day invariably had the lowest levels of blood calcium."
[/FONT]
[FONT='Times New Roman', Times, serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT='Times New Roman', Times, serif]Dr. Ellis adds, "Low levels of blood calcium correspond with irritability and headaches. In addition, the low calcium level in milk-drinkers also explains why milk-drinkers are prone to have muscle spasms and cramps. Since calcium is necessary for muscles to relax, a lack of calcium causes muscle cramps, etc."
[/FONT]​
[FONT='Times New Roman', Times, serif]One of the most serious problems caused by a calcium deficiency is osteoporosis, a condition characterized by the loss of 50 to 75 percent of the person's original bone material. In the U.S., 25 percent of 65-year-old women suffer from osteoporosis. Their bones become brittle and easily broken. They can crack a rib from something as minor as a sneeze.[/FONT]

:)

Almonds are environmentally friendly!

getimage.dll.jpg

Red Mage

Boney
I found that one of the local supermarkets finally decided to carry almond milk. Maybe they always did but it's the first time I've come across it in the cooler section with the milk products. I bought some instead of regular milk because of the praise it gets on these forums and I have to admit it IS good

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I found that one of the local supermarkets finally decided to carry almond milk. Maybe they always did but it's the first time I've come across it in the cooler section with the milk products. I bought some instead of regular milk because of the praise it gets on these forums and I have to admit it IS good

Your body will thank you for it. :) Like I had said earlier in the thread last year, almond milk really does not need to be refrigerated until exposed to air, and even then it will remain fresh until after about two weeks. The problem was that nobody was looking for it on shelves. Now, it comes in the chilled milk section so people can find it. It also comes in the 1/2 gallon container, and even has an expiration date. AVOID the sweetened ones. One thing it does not really work well in is hot coffee. I use heavy whipping cream for that (liquid) to stay Atkins friendly. I am glad you tried it!

Bluce Ree

Your body will thank you for it. :) Like I had said earlier in the thread last year, almond milk really does not need to be refrigerated until exposed to air, and even then it will remain fresh until after about two weeks. The problem was that nobody was looking for it on shelves. Now, it comes in the chilled milk section so people can find it. It also comes in the 1/2 gallon container, and even has an expiration date. AVOID the sweetened ones. One thing it does not really work well in is hot coffee. I use heavy whipping cream for that (liquid) to stay Atkins friendly. I am glad you tried it!

I've been asking myself ever since I've been in the states. Wtf is with this American obsession to add sugar to EVERYTHING?!?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I've been asking myself ever since I've been in the states. Wtf is with this American obsession to add sugar to EVERYTHING?!?

I dont get that either! And they do it with chips as well. If you want regular potato chips (on a cheat?), you cant find them! But you can find BBQ, Chipoltle, Maui Onion, Vinegar and sea salt. :confused:. So, I avoit all of them, just like I should. The sweetened almond milk makes no sense to me. I can easily see that the industry is moving to the non-dairy "milks" because they are MUCH cheaper to make. It amazes me that the price for dairy milk and almond milk is almost the same. :(

Bluce Ree

I dont get that either! And they do it with chips as well. If you want regular potato chips (on a cheat?), you cant find them! But you can find BBQ, Chipoltle, Maui Onion, Vinegar and sea salt. :confused:. So, I avoit all of them, just like I should. The sweetened almond milk makes no sense to me. I can easily see that the industry is moving to the non-dairy "milks" because they are MUCH cheaper to make. It amazes me that the price for dairy milk and almond milk is almost the same. :(

I enjoy chips occasionally on cheat days and I like the taste and texture of a plain old regular potato chip. Not corn chips or that tooth-cracking kettle stuff.

I found this one to be the best compromise for me:

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-wise-foods-unsalted-potato-chips-i96386

Wise Unsalted. No added flavors, salt or sugar and it tastes just like regular potato chips I ate as a kid (minus the salt). :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

For companies it's basically a cynical way of saying that Americans are stupid and lack discernment, which has a lot of truth to it. Sometimes I think I'm the only person who actually reads ingredient labels, which has turned me into a cynic in many ways. (It's a vicious cycle.) Now if I look at something that comes pre-packaged I automatically assume it contains some type of sugar and when I look at the ingredients I'm rarely proven wrong.

S

Stonelesscutter

I quit drinking milk half a year ago. Perhaps even longer. So I don't see any reason why I should start drinking almond milk. Unless someone can give me a good reason why I should. Anybody?

Bluce Ree

I quit drinking milk half a year ago. Perhaps even longer. So I don't see any reason why I should start drinking almond milk. Unless someone can give me a good reason why I should. Anybody?

If you don't care for milk then there's no reason to substitute it.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Almond milk..interesting. I wonder how it works if your system is calcium deficient (which means you react to some dairy products)?