OMG! Almond milk ...

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I've been living a lie. Real milk & soy milk got nothin' on almond milk. I'm addicted!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I've been living a lie. Real milk & soy milk got nothin' on almond milk. I'm addicted!

You just now tried it? I have been using it for a couple of years now. Almond Breeze original. Milk is sooooo not anything close to it. I am also addicted! It makes great smoothies, BTW. I use it with everything that I used to use milk with. Even in coffee. :)

Bluce Ree

You just now tried it? I have been using it for a couple of years now. Almond Breeze original. Milk is sooooo not anything close to it. I am also addicted! It makes great smoothies, BTW. I use it with everything that I used to use milk with. Even in coffee. :)

I was compelled to try it after reading your post in the diet thread about it. I got Silk almond milk with 0g sugar. I made a protein shake with it, tried it with some cereal and just drank it straight. I went back to Target to buy 4 more 1/2 gallon cartons. I had a 1/2 gallon tonight alone straight from the carton. :icon_lol:

The shininess will wear off by tomorrow hopefully otherwise I'm going to explode or turn into an almond.

I have to thank you for turning me onto it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I was compelled to try it after reading your post in the diet thread about it. I got Silk almond milk with 0g sugar. I made a protein shake with it, tried it with some cereal and just drank it straight. I went back to Target to buy 4 more 1/2 gallon cartons. I had a 1/2 gallon tonight alone straight from the carton. :icon_lol:

The shininess will wear off by tomorrow hopefully otherwise I'm going to explode or turn into an almond.

I have to thank you for turning me onto it.

Youre welcome :) Your body will thank you for it too! I cant understand why people still drink cow's milk. :(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay , yes stupid question. LOL So, what I mean to say is , how do you get milk from an almond?

Its almond juice, basically. There is no "milk" involved, but almond milk is white and rich tasting. Its AWESOME, and very nutritious. Coconut milk is made much the same way but is not a good milk substitute. Almond milk is probably the best substitute for cow's milk because of its neutral taste.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I've not seen it in the supermarket in the UK. Anyone know where best to get it from in blighty?

You should be able to find at least one variety of it in a supermarket there. Its in wide use worldwide and is not a "specialty" food.

Bluce Ree

Its almond juice, basically. There is no "milk" involved, but almond milk is white and rich tasting. Its AWESOME, and very nutritious. Coconut milk is made much the same way but is not a good milk substitute. Almond milk is probably the best substitute for cow's milk because of its neutral taste.

Silk original soy milk (red carton) is very close to regular milk in taste. I'm just not a big fan of soy.

G

Graybrew1

k, thanks , just curious.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Avoid processed soy.

Silk original soy milk (red carton) is very close to regular milk in taste. I'm just not a big fan of soy.

I avoid it like the plague. I know about how it affects males, and the fact that it contains so much phytoestrogen that it can actually affect a woman's menstrual cycle is disturbing. It can greatly increase estrogens in the blood of males and "feminize" them. I used to make smoothies with silken tofu until my doctor mentioned the phytoestrogen effects. Here are some references:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5033261_soy-bad-mens-health.html

EXCERPT:

Effects on Men

• Isoflavones are very similar to the hormone estrogen, which is not found in large amounts in men. When large amounts of soy are ingested it may affect testosterone levels. When testosterone levels are lowered, there are many adverse effects on men. This can include weightgain, lower sperm count, lack of sex drive, and erectile problems. Testosterone levels in men lower after the age of 30 naturally. Adding large amounts of soy to a man's diet may not assist with maintaining healthy testosterone levels.
More: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/7842.php

While soy may be beneficial to women in a variety of ways, research in monkeys suggests that it could have an adverse effect on the behavior of men...
There is lots more on this on the web. I make sure that my protein powders do not contain soy protein isolates, and I do not eat any foods containing processed soy (textured soy protein). Almond milk is chemically neutral. You can easily change the texture of almond milk with protein powders, from the smoothness of a straight glass of cold almond milk to the rich thickness of a banana/chocolate shake thick enough to stand a spoon in the center of. :)

Bluce Ree

I avoid it like the plague. I know about how it affects males, and the fact that it contains so much phytoestrogen that it can actually affect a woman's menstrual cycle is disturbing. It an greatly increase estrogens in the blood of males and "feminize" them. I used to make smoothies with silken tofu until my doctor mentioned the phytoestrogen effects. Here are some references:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5033261_soy-bad-mens-health.html

EXCERPT:

More: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/7842.php

There is lots more on this on the web. I make sure that my protein powders do not contain soy protein isolates, and I do not eat any foods containing processed soy (textured soy protein). Almond milk is chemically neutral. You can easily change the tecture of almond milk with protein powders, from the smoothness of a straight class of colk almond milk to the rich thickness of a banana/chocolate shake thick enough to stand a spoon in the center of. :)

You hit it right on the nose. The bodybuilding community has been onto the effects of phytoestrogen from soy for ages. But, you know, we're all just a bunch of juiced-up meatheads whose vocabulary is very limited beyond the scope of "d-uh" and "no pain, no gain!" :icon_lol:

Very good thorough post, by the way. People should be made aware of the various studies out there so they can make informed decisions.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Effects on Men

• Isoflavones are very similar to the hormone estrogen, which is not found in large amounts in men. When large amounts of soy are ingested it may affect testosterone levels. When testosterone levels are lowered, there are many adverse effects on men. This can include weightgain, lower sperm count, lack of sex drive, and erectile problems. Testosterone levels in men lower after the age of 30 naturally. Adding large amounts of soy to a man's diet may not assist with maintaining healthy testosterone levels.
Yikes! :eek:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You hit it right on the nose. The bodybuilding community has been onto the effects of phytoestrogen from soy for ages. But, you know, we're all just a bunch of juiced-up meatheads whose vocabulary is very limited beyond the scope of "d-uh" and "no pain, no gain!" :icon_lol:

Very good thorough post, by the way. People should be made aware of the various studies out there so they can make informed decisions.

I just read this again. :) Im sitting here enjoying some Kashi Go Lean Crunch with almond milk, and I remembered this thread. Its scary what soy does to men (and women too!). But the thread is about almond milk, and its AWESOME! I wish I had known about it much sooner than two years ago. It is a COMPLETE replacement for cow's milk, and it is totally vegan for those who are so inclined. It makes really good smoothies, and is also good in tea and coffee.

Bluce Ree

I just read this again. :) Im sitting here enjoying some Kashi Go Lean Crunch with almond milk, and I remembered this thread. Its scary what soy does to men (and women too!). But the thread is about almond milk, and its AWESOME! I wish I had known about it much sooner than two years ago. It is a COMPLETE replacement for cow's milk, and it is totally vegan for those who are so inclined. It makes really good smoothies, and is also good in tea and coffee.

I've become a total addict. I just drank a half gallon carton watching Doctor Who. I think I need to be checked into a rehab clinic.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I've become a total addict. I just drank a half gallon carton watching Doctor Who. I think I need to be checked into a rehab clinic.

Its guilt free joy. :) I even flavor it sometimes. It makes GREAT chocolate milk with just 1 teaspoon of unsweetened chocolate powder and a packet of Splenda or Stevia. I never used to really drink it straight, but I have started doing that recently because almond milk goes bad after about 7 days. It doesnt curdle, it just gets this funky taste.

Bluce Ree

Its guilt free joy. :) I even flavor it sometimes. It makes GREAT chocolate milk with just 1 teaspoon of unsweetened chocolate powder and a packet of Splenda or Stevia. I never used to really drink it straight, but I have started doing that recently because almond milk goes bad after about 7 days. It doesnt curdle, it just gets this funky taste.

I LOVE chocolate milk once in a while. I'm going to give that a try. Thanks for the idea.