Okay, so here it is.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well, as much as I hate Stargate Universe, the fact is that it is the last Stargate and most current one airing. We will not hold an institutionalized bias against the show, despite the fact that it makes me fall asleep faster than a double zat gun blast. :) GateFans welcomes all discussion of all shows INCLUDING Stargate Universe. Please refer to the Code of Conduct and Posting Guidelines for the rules.

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
I'm out then

Well then I guess that's your prerogative. But I joined sgusucks.com to send a message to the promoters and to see the show put off the air. I didn't expect that I would have 1200 posts of mine jacked for use in padding a different domain that can't differentiate between the original Stargate and it's sequel with a mess of a show that doesn't even really have a Stargate in it.

I'm not jumping on board a site that is nothing more than the Darren Summers show in Vbulletin. Placating the likes of Tanith and Yoshifart over at SGUºS did nothing but mess the whole board up and drive some people away.

I really don't care if I'm banned here for saying so (this is Gateworld ^2 now) but I'd request you delete all my previous posts and graphics I've submitted over the years if you want to take such action.

And in case we've already forgotten, Universe is not Stargate.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Well then I guess that's your prerogative. But I joined sgusucks.com to send a message to the promoters and to see the show put off the air. I didn't expect that I would have 1200 posts of mine jacked for use in padding a different domain that can't differentiate between the original Stargate and it's sequel with a mess of a show that doesn't even really have a Stargate in it.

I'm not jumping on board a site that is nothing more than the Darren Summers show in Vbulletin. Placating the likes of Tanith and Yoshifart over at SGUºS did nothing but mess the whole board up and drive some people away.

I really don't care if I'm banned here for saying so (this is Gateworld ^2 now) but I'd request you delete all my previous posts and graphics I've submitted over the years if you want to take such action.

calm-down.jpg

Why would anyone ban you? And another thing, this isn't about placating anyone, it's about being a fan site for Stargate and sci-fi in general. There's no need to leave because your opinion is welcome here and it's not being censored. Trust me bro, I HATE SGU with a passion and I don't care for whiny, run-to-the-mods-and-cry squee drones, but I'm not letting their existence ruin a good thing, and this site is a good thing. Calm down and don't worry so much about it bro. It's all good. ;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
In my opinion there is a BIG difference between not differentiating between SGU and other SG shows and allowing reasoned discussion of SGU. Note that ALL discussion of all shows is allowed, therefore it is perfectly fine to make a reasoned case why SGU is not Stargate.

Also this is NOT Gateworld. Gateworld was censoring posts that were critical of SGU - a lot of us wound up at SGUS for that exact reason. IMHO all Overmind is saying is that an SGU supporter could freely post here. Of course, such posts can be freely countered.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.

Fine by me as i wont miss a mindless hate drone like yourself.
cya!

Imo "Hate" drones like this guy is just as bad as Squeedrones just oposite sides of the same coin, eventually they'll cancel eachoher out.

now dont take this the wrong way i am not an SGU fan i am a stargate, sci fi and 3d Cg fx fan,
but i believe everyone has the right to their oppinion and still deserve to be treated with respect.
however if im not met with the same respect i can be a hatefull judgemental BASTARD but i atleast give people A chance.

Savatage

GateFans Member
In my opinion there is a BIG difference between not differentiating between SGU and other SG shows and allowing reasoned discussion of SGU. Note that ALL discussion of all shows is allowed, therefore it is perfectly fine to make a reasoned case why SGU is not Stargate.

Also this is NOT Gateworld. Gateworld was censoring posts that were critical of SGU - a lot of us wound up at SGUS for that exact reason. IMHO all Overmind is saying is that an SGU supporter could freely post here. Of course, such posts can be freely countered.

+1

I want to discuss Stargate, not read posts bashing anyone who thinks differently than they do. I stopped posting at SGUS a couple months ago because that seemed to becoming the norm. I hope it will be better here, but time will tell.

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Fine by me as i wont miss a mindless hate drone like yourself.
cya!

Imo "Hate" drones like this guy is just as bad as Squeedrones just oposite sides of the same coin, eventually they'll cancel eachoher out.

now dont take this the wrong way i am not an SGU fan i am a stargate, sci fi and 3d Cg fx fan,
but i believe everyone has the right to their oppinion and still deserve to be treated with respect.
however if im not met with the same respect i can be a hatefull judgemental BASTARD but i atleast give people A chance.

Yeah just keep it going 100 post wonder.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
+1

I want to discuss Stargate, not read posts bashing anyone who thinks differently than they do. I stopped posting at SGUS a couple months ago because that seemed to becoming the norm. I hope it will be better here, but time will tell.

I too agree with Joelist and think he put it rather succinctly. My question for you though, Savatage, is at what point is it considered "bashing" verses being debate? The problem with a lot of people on the old SGU.S forum is that they are incapable of intellectual debate and in failing to defend their positions (or even define them) they quickly run to a mod and cry that they are being "bashed" when in truth they are simply being asked to define and defend their position. This, in short, is intellectual cowardice and is just as bad as any genuine "bashing" that might occur. What's the point of having a discussion forum when certain members only want to spout opinions but never discuss them?

Exile

GateFans Noob
I was going to say something here... but then I saw the kittens, and melted into a puddle of incoherent squeeing goo.

No, actually, what I wanted to say was: Overmind, I applaud you for taking this step towards a community where everybody can have their say without harassing and bullying! I've followed sgusucks.com since pretty much the beginning, posted in periods, but lately only lurked for the kind of uncensored facts you can't get from Gateworld. But lately the forum has been moving more and more into the kind of extremes in behaviour that I not only don't wan't to get involved in, but have hesitated to even read anymore. I'm not saying I'm going to be an active poster here, but I'm at least going to come here for my information on what's happening in the Stargate franchise. I like how you said there's going to be news articles here, because sometimes it's difficult for a casual reader to find the information in the forums among all the opinions and chat. I wish you the best of luck in making this a community where everybody's opinions can be heard and accepted, even if they're not agreed with!

Lilith

GateFans Noob
I too agree with Joelist and think he put it rather succinctly. My question for you though, Savatage, is at what point is it considered "bashing" verses being debate? The problem with a lot of people on the old SGU.S forum is that they are incapable of intellectual debate and in failing to defend their positions (or even define them) they quickly run to a mod and cry that they are being "bashed" when in truth they are simply being asked to define and defend their position. This, in short, is intellectual cowardice and is just as bad as any genuine "bashing" that might occur. What's the point of having a discussion forum when certain members only want to spout opinions but never discuss them?

Aren't you discribing Gateworld and not SGU.S? You were leading the bashing so who defines bashing? You? Intellectual cowardice is defined by you also? Some people just don't want to fight because it is draining and doesn't change the world in which each lives if they agree or disagree with you, so you call them cowards?

Savatage

GateFans Member

To me, bashing is personal attack. A heated debate makes for a great read, but when it degenerates to name calling it becomes the "playground chronicles". If somebody just spouts opinions without discussing them, then I ignore their posts. I used to lurk at GW to read the ratings predictions thread (that was like watching Dumb and Dumber), but after a while I learned that KEK would never have anything of significance to add (not even in a funny way) so I'd just scroll right on by his/her posts. Does that make sense?

Lilith

GateFans Noob
To me, bashing is personal attack. A heated debate makes for a great read, but when it degenerates to name calling it becomes the "playground chronicles". If somebody just spouts opinions without discussing them, then I ignore their posts. I used to lurk at GW to read the ratings predictions thread (that was like watching Dumb and Dumber), but after a while I learned that KEK would never have anything of significance to add (not even in a funny way) so I'd just scroll right on by his/her posts. Does that make sense?

Yes, it's called tolerence.

OMNI

agreed and imo that was SGU'S in a nutshell i have myself taken part in that but it just gets tedious and rediculous after a while.

and to me it makes sense as i had been doing the same thing on both GW and SGU'S for quite some time.

anyway im glad this place is here.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
This site isn't SGUS, and isn't/wasn't intended to be...

While there are many of us here, including myself, who didn't like SGU one iota, there are many out there that did. I can respect that and be cool about discussions regarding it.

GateFans is considered to be a gateway for discussions of all shows, past and present. We're not here to pigeonhole ourselves into JUST being a Stargate site. So that means we're going to include discussions about Sanctuary, Eureka, the shows with Stargate in the title, Dr Who, Primeval, Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy, Mystery Science Theater 3000, the various and sundry Star Treks, etc., ad nauseum. If you don't like a particular show, you're welcome to discuss that fact, providing you follow the rules that have been set up for this site. Keep in mind that some forums/subforums on the site have slightly different rules, so be sure to read those rules before you post. :)

I'm looking forward to this site growing and attracting other fans of whatever shows who will contribute to what we have here and perhaps encourage others to come and hang out. We have a very good opportunity to create just that, and I applaud Overmind One for taking on this challenge.

Thanks, Fearless Leader.

OMNI

This site isn't SGUS, and isn't/wasn't intended to be...

While there are many of us here, including myself, who didn't like SGU one iota, there are many out there that did. I can respect that and be cool about discussions regarding it.

GateFans is considered to be a gateway for discussions of all shows, past and present. We're not here to pigeonhole ourselves into JUST being a Stargate site. So that means we're going to include discussions about Sanctuary, Eureka, the shows with Stargate in the title, Dr Who, Primeval, Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy, Mystery Science Theater 3000, the various and sundry Star Treks, etc., ad nauseum. If you don't like a particular show, you're welcome to discuss that fact, providing you follow the rules that have been set up for this site. Keep in mind that some forums/subforums on the site have slightly different rules, so be sure to read those rules before you post. :)

I'm looking forward to this site growing and attracting other fans of whatever shows who will contribute to what we have here and perhaps encourage others to come and hang out. We have a very good opportunity to create just that, and I applaud Overmind One for taking on this challenge.

Thanks, Fearless Leader.

Seconded :)

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
I will not stop mentioning how much I dislike SGU and, more importantly, why. But I'd rather do it with arguments than with personal attacks and flaming. Just as on the other forum, I have no intention of letting die-hard SGU fans get away with "I like the show because it's more realistic" or "SGU is Stargate because there's one in the show"...

And, if I do feel the need to poke fun, mock and denounce squeedrone behavior (very likely to happen :D), then there's our Flame Hell with its free-speech rules for both sides... :icon_twisted:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I will not stop mentioning how much I dislike SGU and, more importantly, why. But I'd rather do it with arguments than with personal attacks and flaming. Just as on the other forum, I have no intention of letting die-hard SGU fans get away with "I like the show because it's more realistic" or "SGU is Stargate because there's one in the show"...

And, if I do feel the need to poke fun, mock and denounce squeedrone behavior (very likely to happen :D), then there's our Flame Hell with its free-speech rules for both sides... :icon_twisted:
Indeed.

Keep in mind also that the Flame Hell subforums are the appropriate place to use strong language.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
I was going to say something here... but then I saw the kittens, and melted into a puddle of incoherent squeeing goo.

No, actually, what I wanted to say was: Overmind, I applaud you for taking this step towards a community where everybody can have their say without harassing and bullying! I've followed sgusucks.com since pretty much the beginning, posted in periods, but lately only lurked for the kind of uncensored facts you can't get from Gateworld. But lately the forum has been moving more and more into the kind of extremes in behaviour that I not only don't wan't to get involved in, but have hesitated to even read anymore. I'm not saying I'm going to be an active poster here, but I'm at least going to come here for my information on what's happening in the Stargate franchise. I like how you said there's going to be news articles here, because sometimes it's difficult for a casual reader to find the information in the forums among all the opinions and chat. I wish you the best of luck in making this a community where everybody's opinions can be heard and accepted, even if they're not agreed with!
I remember you from way back lurking in the early days of SGU°S! Welcome "back" Exile :welcomewagon:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Aren't you discribing Gateworld and not SGU.S?

No, I'm describing SGU.S. I'm not a member at GW and never was. My comment had nothing to do with GW.

You were leading the bashing...

Please provide evidence of me "bashing" anyone. I attempted to discuss things logically with Yoshi in one thread. The fact that I referred to him as an idiot within the context of that discussion (he also referred to me as "retarded") is hardly bashing. But no matter because every discussion I have had that you consider an incident of "bashing" has been couched in a well thought out argument in regards to the thread topic. The only other person I can recall name calling with was "fruieater" who did turn out to be a troll and who attacked several members of SGU.S for no reason at all (unprovoked, he told OM1 to fuck off). So, clearly, you are accusing me of things that exist only in your mind.

...so who defines bashing? You? Intellectual cowardice is defined by you also?

My my my Lilith, defensive much? I never claimed to be the arbiter of what is considered "bashing", in fact I mentioned it so we could define what it is means on this forum. I'm not looking to swear at someone for no reason, which would be bashing. I am looking to engage in communal debate and discussion with people who can intellectually defend and define their opinions, which isn't bashing although you desperately want to define it as such because it suits your agenda, whatever that is. :confused:

As for who defines "intellectual cowardice", yes, you're damn right I can define it. I know it when I see it and the fact that that term bothers you so much pretty much justifies my definition of it. If a person isn't an intellectual coward then they will defend their stated opinions and beliefs on this forum (and no, they don't have to be an intellectual giant in order to be treated with respect). It's very easy to understand. Please stop recoiling from terms you don't like simply because you don't want to be labeled by them. A thing is what it is; entities have defining natures and a person who makes statements on a discussion forum but then runs to a mod and cries that they are being bashed when asked to defend those statements is an intellectual coward. You may care to define the term "intellectual coward" differently but that won't change the veracity of how I just defined it. A coward is a coward is a coward and calling that intellectual coward out for being an intellectual coward is not bashing.

Some people just don't want to fight because it is draining and doesn't change the world in which each lives if they agree or disagree with you, so you call them cowards?

No one is demanding that anyone "fight" here Lilith and that is the flaw in your reasoning. If you don't want to engage in discussion then don't respond to anyone who comments on your statements. It's called 'free will', Lilith, and everyone has it. There is nothing compelling a person, against their will, to respond to anything stated on this or any website. If you choose to engage in discussion by responding to anyone who comments on your opinion then that is your choice. The bottom line is that just because someone challenges your stated opinion and you don't like it that does not automatically make it "bashing".

And to be honest if one doesn't wish to engage in discussion about the topics on this, or any, forum then why even bother becoming a member and posting opinions? It's ridiculous to assume that one can do this and then be "protected" from having their opinion challenged.

Now, on a more personal level I have to say I don't know why you have a problem with me Lilith? I've hardly engaged you in conversation much and can only assume you consider me part of the "enemy camp" from the whole Rac80/Yoshikart drama. Clearly you have chosen to bring that drama here by angrily (yes, your post to me was angry) accusing me of "bashing" people on a different forum. Obviously you haven't noticed that this forum has a different tone and feel so please lose the anger and the attitude you have with me as I certainly don't deserve it. It short: Let it go, Lilith. It's a new day and a new place with a positive outlook. Please don't be the one who ruins it simply because you have some personal axe to grind.

Thanks. :)