'OBLIVION' Despite having Tom Cruise, will this flick be any good?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
doesnt seem like it instead its real world comparisens, politics and bat shit crazyness mixed into oppinions about suposed entertainment...

But, but, it's gotta be REAL!!!
Like Star Trek!

Quick, I'm losing it, OMNI, mind meld with me so I can stave of the crazy!!!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I also caught Oblivion. It wasn't too bad. Nice easy watching vehicle, not to mention it has Olga Kurylenko whom I like. It had a sort of "70s scifi" vibe to it.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Like Star Trek!

When I was a child the bar was set pretty low for what I'd swallow in terms of realism and storytelling...

But then I grew up. :winking0052:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Like Star Trek!

Are you really asking OMNI to put his fingers directly into your brain and mess with your wiring?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
When I was a child the bar was set pretty low for what I'd swallow in terms of realism and storytelling...

But then I grew up. :winking0052:

Yep...and when you are drunk, even the most homely of women look like bombshells. But when you sober up, you can see the moustache and you can notice that what you thought was your girlfriend's shadow is actually the other half of her body. :anim_59:.

I think this movie was good storytelling, even if I thought Tom Cruise wasn't necessarily carrying the film. I can imagine several other actors/actresses in that movie. But the premise was very cool to me.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Exactly. Tom Cruise couldn't ruin it because his role really did not have him carrying the film.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Exactly. Tom Cruise couldn't ruin it because his role really did not have him carrying the film.

They could have plugged anyone into any of the roles in this movie. Tom Cruise could easily have been any male lead actor, or even an unknown. The female roles are just as generic, and I think the casting for those could have been better. I do think they got Sally (from control) correct.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Indeed. For example Olga Kurylenko (an actress I like) was underused in her role.

Of course, I'm not sure "anyone" would have worked. Picture the lead couple being Adam Sandler and Honey BooBoo.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Indeed. For example Olga Kurylenko (an actress I like) was underused in her role.

Of course, I'm not sure "anyone" would have worked. Picture the lead couple being Adam Sandler and Honey BooBoo.

Adam Sandler could have done this movie! Even Seth Rogan could have pulled it off. :) But the premise was very cool...I wish the story had been told from an omniscient perspective instead of focusing on this character. We could have been treated to the initial attack from the TET...seen the discovery of it in space, etc.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, I finally saw Oblivion. It wasn't as bad as I expected but it wasn't great either. It smacked of being a typical, formulaic Tom Cruise movie if that makes sense. I had much of it figured out early on (I mean really, "radiation zone"? :rolleyes:).

It also had some bad editing and direction in parts. Minor things but enough to be annoying I found. Like when his partner releases the killer drone from the basement and it begins shooting you don't see what happens to her. I had to guess that she got blown away by it even though that wasn't clear.

At any rate, it was definitely a movie not worth seeing in a theater.

This movie was good. Having Tom Cruise in it was not nearly as bad as it could have been. It did not have a high level of action required for the lead role, and the supporting roles were well played. I found the reveals in the story very refreshing, and intelligent. The main reason I liked this movie was the STORYTELLING. The premise, the pacing and the way the story unfolded was actually first class. The effects, whilst awesome, were not nearly the draw of the film. They were done so realistically and with such great realism that they accomplished what they were supposed to do: enhance the story as sets, and not as central elements.

I have now seen it three times, and I love the story a lot. Worth checking out if you have not seen it. :)

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It was different from what we usually get in that it actually has a story and that the plot holds together pretty well. Tom Cruise worked in it because he stayed within his role and did not overplay it. So did everyone else.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It was different from what we usually get in that it actually has a story and that the plot holds together pretty well. Tom Cruise worked in it because he stayed within his role and did not overplay it. So did everyone else.

This is real science fiction. It had dramatic elements in it, and the basic story of boy meets girl, but this story all in all came together beautifully. They told the story of invasion, destruction, survival and resurrection of the Human Race by only showing about 6 characters (and a bunch of extras). Brilliant. I think it got less attention than it should have. Watching dreck like Gravity after this seems like night and day, but that pig got attention?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
This is real science fiction. It had dramatic elements in it, and the basic story of boy meets girl, but this story all in all came together beautifully. They told the story of invasion, destruction, survival and resurrection of the Human Race by only showing about 6 characters (and a bunch of extras). Brilliant. I think it got less attention than it should have. Watching dreck like Gravity after this seems like night and day, but that pig got attention?

I liked the movie and I particularly liked how we never saw the aliens-just humans/clones doing the alien's work

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I liked the movie and I particularly liked how we never saw the aliens-just humans/clones doing the alien's work

I am over 10 times seeing this movie now. I am convinced that the "aliens" were an AI which most likely destroyed it's creators. Draining all the water would make sense if the Tet was using fusion reactors for power. It could be fueled for several years with that much water. Also, there were no biological elements on the Tet. Sally had to create atmosphere in the chamber where Jack's ship landed inside. There were no patrol aircraft, and no biological entities seen on the alien side. It may have been some sort of doomsday device created long ago.

This movie has great rewatch value. You can watch it over and over and it never gets old. Of course, with time inbetween!