'OBLIVION' Despite having Tom Cruise, will this flick be any good?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Couple questions:

#1. I'm not a Tom Cruise fan and would never pay top dollar to see anything he stars in, but would you say that for people who don't hate Tom Cruise that this movie is worth seeing at the theater?

#2. Now when you mention you were with your friends and say "...when we were leaving" do you mean you were voluntarily leaving the theater or had management asked you to leave...again?

#3. Is the actor that was introduced later on the same one who was in Driving Miss Daisy?

#4. How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?

Watch this...then post. I would find your take on this interesting, Im sure. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Watch this...then post. I would find your take on this interesting, Im sure. :)

It's odd that you should mention this movie as just yesterday I was reading a bunch of reviews on it and most people said it was much better than they expected. I absolutely despise Tom Cruise (and having just watched him in Jack Reacher my opinion didn't change) but I'll give this one a try and will put it on my Netflix que. :)

*I should mention that the reviews I read all said that the movie was visually stunning. I tend to be very hard on CGI so I'm hoping that it turns out to be good.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's odd that you should mention this movie as just yesterday I was reading a bunch of reviews on it and most people said it was much better than they expected. I absolutely despise Tom Cruise (and having just watched him in Jack Reacher my opinion didn't change) but I'll give this one a try and will put it on my Netflix que. :)

*I should mention that the reviews I read all said that the movie was visually stunning. I tend to be very hard on CGI so I'm hoping that it turns out to be good.

Yes, it is visually stunning. But it is also good storytelling. The only problem I had with it was making sense of the different scenes in the movie before the reveal was made in the last quarter of the movie. And you really cant talk about the premise without spoiling the whole movie.

I did not expect much because Tom Cruise was in it, but it actually was pretty good. I could even watch it again. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Okay, I added it to my Netflix que. Should have it later this week (still watching Lincoln). :encouragement:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I saw this today at an IMAX. It wasn't terrible but it wouldn't call it great either - it sort of dragged a bit IMO. The CGI was fine but the story was a little clumsy. They delayed introducing an actor long enough that I figured out the first plot twist on my own. :P

My friends liked it but they didn't notice the plot holes until I pointed them out when we were leaving. LOL.

Yes, I thought a few plot holes out myself. But they were not horrible, and the reveal in the last 1/4 of the movie made it all come together. That was when I actually started liking the film. The premise became awesome instead of "what the hell is going on here?". :) Honestly, they could have plugged any leading man in there. Brad Pitt, Ben Affleck, even Bruce Willis. It worked with Tom Cruise because the story was good. I think the movie should have showed some things that were only mentioned in the dialogue. The stuff with the TET and such.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Interesting Wiki on this film.

DO NOT READ IF YOU DO NOT WANT THE MOVIE SPOILED.

SpoilerAlert.gif

Last edited:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Not a cruise fan either when he showed up on our professional endurance race track weekend and rented the track during our session so he could play with his GT class Mustang . We lost 4 hrs that day . No one was allowed near the pits . I never saw the frick other than him slidin the car sideways at the last corner to the straight start finish at Elkart Lake in the 80's .
On another note , I really enjoyed the movie . I am playing a game called Lost Planet 3 and it has a bit of similarity's . Still not a fan of cruise though and never will be ,,,. I recommend the game if you like driving huge robot's called riggs :) :) :)

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan

That South Park episode "Trapped in the Closet" starred Tom Cruise and it was pretty good.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
That South Park episode "Trapped in the Closet" starred Tom Cruise and it was pretty good.

That South Park episode could legitimately be considered a documentary.
--- merged: Feb 3, 2014 11:34 PM ---
I really didn't care for it. Sorry.

We'll compare notes after I've seen it. Would be interested in your take on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Backstep

The movie was ok, The major problem is Cruise plays the same character in every movie, same with Denzel Washington.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
The movie was ok, The major problem is Cruise plays the same character in every movie, same with Denzel Washington.
I found it to be fairly predictable and just couldn't lose myself in the thing. It was more a situation of looking at the clock and wondering when the damned thing was going to be over with.

I felt the same thing about "The Darjeeling Express" and "The Namesake".

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Okay, I watched this movie last night and you know what? It is pretty good. :) The premise is good, bvut I think the casting might have been a lot better if they had chosen a different female love interest for Tom's character Jack in the movie. Playing Julia, Olga Kurylenko would not have been my choice because her acting in this was too wooden. The other female interest was Victoria, played by Andrea Riseborough. Morgan Freeman had a role in this too. Somehow, the execution of the film did not do the premise justice, especially when the big reveal was made in the last 1/4 of the movie (and it was a good reveal).

I would have to recommend watching this movie at least once, and you wont be disappointed.

Has it hit netflix or amazon yet? I am kind of in a self imposed bubble now--been watching nothing but SOA even though I don't really like it (you know, the premise, the people, we all talked about it before) just like to finish what I start--Anyhow, I got an email from AmazonPrime saying there are new movies on-haven't checked it yet....

I have never been a believer in not watching something just because of who is in it or who made it. I watch stuff with Ron Perlman in it though his countenance is reviling to me (I think he should have quit acting after his awesome and accurate "character role" in QUEST FOR FIRE for example :icon_e_surprised:) Another ex is some ppl say they wont watch ENDERS GAME even though it may be good just because of the man who wrote the books and his anti homosexual beliefs ( consider just how many writers and TPTB's out there with the same or similar beliefs that we lap up and enjoy--just because they didn't proclaim their hatreds doesn't mean they do not have them)

As for Cruise, IMO, his movies have been going down hill lately..though they have a lot of whizz bangs, etc, they just are not that good. I was planning on watching OBLIVION as soon as it hits my "free screen"

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I found it to be fairly predictable and just couldn't lose myself in the thing. It was more a situation of looking at the clock and wondering when the damned thing was going to be over with.

I got half way through the movie and nearly fell asleep. I wanted to leave the theatres.It was so...boring!

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I can't remember which mission impossible it was but the whole movie seemed to have his face popping up in every scene as the criminals were pretending to be him and kept pulling tom screws loose face masks off ,,, thought I was gonna barf ffs . His face was in the whole frigginmovie for like the first 30 mins or more and I had to shut it off . I can't remember anyone else being in the movie :( . I'll stick with the original series thankyou .
Tom screws loose and john revolting in South Park just killed me . Hell ,,, I'm still laughing about it now . Thanks Jim for reminding me .
I'm also a huge huge Team America Fan :) :) :)
America ,,, bleep yah ,,, !!!

mzzz

Well Known GateFan

Yep, completely predictable. Given the level of tech displayed and autonomous systems, you'd think they'd have failsafes and set up grids with different people or at least space out clones so they won't run into each other. Didn't like the way women were sorta depicted, well the main women. Hard to find smart sci-fi.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I gave up on the Mission Impossible movies after the first one. Just way too cartoonish for my taste.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Do you guys just ever, oh I dunno, WATCH a movie for the story??

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
LOL, that's just shits and giggles dude, you know that.