NOAH--IMO the most bizzaro film of our time

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Can't have the rank and file understanding what they read. :hypnotysed:

OMG jim you've got to be careful. soon you will prove yourself as ignorant as OM1 accuses you! you don't understand Shakespeare? for shame. the King James Bible is merely in the same vernacular as As you Like it or Hamlet. But maybe you are just kidding- showing yourself to be merely an Iago. ;)

Actually wrote a paper for my Shakespeare class showing a close relationship between those who read the king James version of the Bible and those who love & understand Shakespeare. MY prof gave me an "A"...said she never thought about it that way. Historically,during the early days of the USA most homes had a Bible (KJV) and a collection of Shakespeare's plays - that is how they "home schooled" their kids on the frontier. I am sure those farmers, etc understood every word of both! :D

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
OMG jim you've got to be careful. soon you will prove yourself as ignorant as OM1 accuses you! you don't understand Shakespeare? for shame. the King James Bible is merely in the same vernacular as As you Like it or Hamlet. But maybe you are just kidding- showing yourself to be merely an Iago. ;)

Actually wrote a paper for my Shakespeare class showing a close relationship between those who read the king James version of the Bible and those who love & understand Shakespeare. MY prof gave me an "A"...said she never thought about it that way. Historically,during the early days of the USA most homes had a Bible (KJV) and a collection of Shakespeare's plays - that is how they "home schooled" their kids on the frontier. I am sure those farmers, etc understood every word of both! :D

http://www.gregtrimble.com/51-questions-that-might-lead-you-to-mormonism/

Greg Trimble said:
2. If the Bible has obvious contradictions, then how can it be viewed as the final and infallible word of God by Christians? (Acts 9:7, Acts 22:9)

Greg Trimble says that the account in Acts 22:9 contradicts the account in Acts 9:7.

Acts 9:7 KJV said:
And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man.

Acts 22:9 KJV said:
And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me.

But this seeming contradiction is not present in the Greek. The New International Version translates those verses as follows:

Acts 9:7 NIV said:
The men traveling with Saul stood there speechless; they heard the sound but did not see anyone.

Acts 22:9 NIV said:
My companions saw the light, but they did not understand the voice of him who was speaking to me.

See, no contradiction, and for the umpteenth time, an LDS members demonstrates that he or she has absolutely no freaking knowledge of the book they claim to hold dear.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Ok . See . I dont remember that scene . The only scenes I remember are the big ugly rock stupid thingys and no-ugh drinkin his face off in the cave of shame or was it on the beach of shame ... See ... Movie is now a distant thank goodness fleeting memory .
And very thankful ...

PS ... I think I remember seeing some animals, a big boat , some big ropes , and excrement all over this movie ...

:) :) :)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
jim who is greg trimble?

so has anyone seen Exodus Gods & Kings? I am looking for something to heckle! ;)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
never heard of him! ;)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Ok, here's a question for the religious. If "god" is perfect and pure love, why would he arm the righteous with weapons rather than charisma?

Charisma can befriend enemies, put an end to wars, calm the irate, spread optimism. The other way kills, maims, physically disables, causes destruction and mayhem and only brings peace to a conflict when one side is disabled or destroyed.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Ok, here's a question for the religious. If "god" is perfect and pure love, why would he arm the righteous with weapons rather than charisma?

Charisma can befriend enemies, put an end to wars, calm the irate, spread optimism. The other way kills, maims, physically disables, causes destruction and mayhem and only brings peace to a conflict when one side is disabled or destroyed.

Charisma can also cause animosity, start wars, irritate the calm, and spread pessimism.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
because like any good parent, God knows we (humanity) has to have free will to do good and evil. otherwise He'd be a communist! ;)

honestly does it matter what anyone tells you Bluce? your opinion isn't going to change. :D

Last edited:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Charisma can also cause animosity, start wars, irritate the calm, and spread pessimism.
A perfect being would not incite the negative if it cared.

I do not disagree with your point, merely it's application.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
because like any good parent, God knows we (humanity) has to have free will to do good and evil. otherwise He's be a communist! ;)
Yeah, he just reserves the right to be a judgemental motherfucker. :P
honestly does it matter what anyone tells you Bluce? your opinion isn't going to change. :D
Neither is yours. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
because like any good parent, God knows we (humanity) has to have free will to do good and evil. otherwise He's be a communist! ;)

Todays nations are more moral and less violent than the god of Christianity. IMO, of course.

Bluce Ree

Ok, then. If god bestows bravery rather than charisma upon a person, what's the difference? He's a controlling communist if he gives you what you don't want but giving you free will if he gives you what do you want? :icon_lol:

- I hate my mommy because she gave me socks for Christmas
- I have the best mommy because she gave me an XBox for Christmas

And, if god "knows we (humanity) has to have free will to do good and evil" then why did he drown every living thing on Earth to erase his mistakes, like a petulant child cleaning up broken glass from a vase he knocked over to hide the deed from his parents, and start over? Why punish the other millions of innocent species, women and children with death for "the sins of man"?

I'm not asking to be convinced of anything, I'm asking for an explanation because I'm curious to know how people think and rationalize the irrational.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Ok, then. If god bestows bravery rather than charisma upon a person, what's the difference? He's a controlling communist if he gives you what you don't want but giving you free will if he gives you what do you want? :icon_lol:

- I hate my mommy because she gave me socks for Christmas
- I have the best mommy because she gave me an XBox for Christmas

And, if god "knows we (humanity) has to have free will to do good and evil" then why did he drown every living thing on Earth to erase his mistakes, like a petulant child cleaning up broken glass from a vase he knocked over to hide the deed from his parents, and start over? Why punish the other millions of innocent species, women and children with death for "the sins of man"?

I'm not asking to be convinced of anything, I'm asking for an explanation because I'm curious to know how people think and rationalize the irrational.

When you have the answer to the bolded, you will know pretty much everything you need to know about the current state of human civilization on this planet today. Thing is, once you know, you cannot do anything about it as an individual so you sit there enlightened, amazed at the lemming behaviors. But there is nothing you can do about it. :(

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
because I beleive in something greater than myself. pure & simple

Bluce Ree

That's the cop-out I get when I have a conversation of this type with priests or pastors. They usually are good at holding their own in a debate but eventually succumb to the "I believe" and "faith" cop-outs because they simply have no explanation. It almost feels like a standard, scripted response given to customer service by upper management as a catch-all when they have no answer.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I believe in something greater than myself as well, but that thing does not much give a shit what minor bipedal mammals are doing with their lives on this planet which they share with so many other species and lifeforms. It also certainly has not taken any special interest in humans, going as far as to linger around here and selectively destroy cities and individuals, to carve words into a rock.

Humans have been here for 150,000 years at least. Why did "god" not show up until 145,000 years later?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Back on topic.....this is one of the worst movies ever made. Let us consign it to the trash heap where it belongs...