New Trek to come to TV

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay...Why has CBS allowed to commission this series then?

Testing the waters is my guess. :) Trek is a draw. CBS will be the first to try this sort of marketing for paid online content. My guess is that they have struck a deal to TRY this model, much like Syfy tried their game/series amalgam with Defiance. With the success of the show tied directly to paid viewership, it will need to support itself. We do not even know yet whether there will be advertising on the online paid channel. The show is definitely not coming from fan demand from these producers. I see very VERY little traditional fan activity forming around NuTrek or it's characters.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
What? Don't you want Robert Pattison playing a sparkly Kirk?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
What? Don't you want Robert Pattison playing a sparkly Kirk?

He strikes me as being too effete for the role. I just wouldn't buy it.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Time shall tell. At least Science Fiction is being attempted again.

Here in America we don't consider sodomitic foppery to be science fiction. ;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
You're right, here is the new Kirk in the new uniform (with insignia)!

rock.png

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It's been burned into the insignia!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
roflbot(2).jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Time shall tell. At least Science Fiction is being attempted again.

Well...no. :) They are doing this thing in NuTrek style,which means action/fantasy. Neither Kurtzman or this woman he is working with do science fiction. They do the soap in a spaceship thing. They will make up stuff which they think is Trek-esque, but it will come off more like Killjoys.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
Why do you want to poop on it when it is not even on yet? You hated SGU but loved SG1... same dude. Who is to say these guys don't also revert closer to your tastes this time?

I stand by what I said, time shall tell, and until it either sucks cajones or rocks on the air, that is truly all we know. Anything else is just assumptions.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Why do you want to poop on it when it is not even on yet? You hated SGU but loved SG1... same dude. Who is to say these guys don't also revert closer to your tastes this time?

I stand by what I said, time shall tell, and until it either sucks cajones or rocks on the air, that is truly all we know. Anything else is just assumptions.

Brad Wright and Robert Cooper did give us SG-1 and Atlantis, but they also go to the bathroom and defecate. So, do I have to like their turds because I also liked SG-1? Point made. In this case, Kurtzman has not even given us anything to like. I absolutely HATED the 2009 NuTrek movie after seeing Star Trek Into Darkness. I like the cast they have chosen, and that's it. Did not like the story, the ship, or the universe they have created in their new dumb timeline. I am not so clueless that I need to wait to start trashing it. :) IIRC, the SGUS site was created before the show even aired it's first episode (based upon the pre-premiere videos and comments from the fandom who saw it beforehand and told them...pleaded with them not to go forward). The co-producer he has chosen has only written fantasy. No science fiction at all.

Now...please tell me why I should expect brilliant science fiction from these writers? :)

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Here is my WHY.

The two producers are Alex Kurtzman and Heather Kadin. So, what have these two done? Here is Kurtzman's IMdB page:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0476064/

Here is Heather Kadin's IMdB page:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2470029/

When you look at what these two have produced, there is NO science fiction in there at all (including both the NuTrek movies on Kurtzman's page). On Kurtzman's page, you see Transformers, and a bunch of fantasy and action stuff. On Heather's page, you see only fantasy. So, these are the ingredients of our Star Trek TV series. If you use bologna and cheese to make a sandwich, why would you expect it to taste like tuna?

Having said that, it is not at all wrong to expect that this new Star Trek will not even remotely be science fiction in the vein of actual Star Trek. The producers are tofu and seaweed. Im not expecting the show to taste like pastrami. That would be clueless.

Annnnnd...Im a Star Trek fanboy. :) Since childhood. And we are talking about 40 years here mkay? :wink:. The first Trek reboot gave us the movies and TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise. And they were science fiction like the original. This new Trek is not science fiction and it is not Star Trek. They cannot claim that NuTrek is based on Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek. With both Gene and Majel Barrett-Roddenberry gone, nobody can guide them using Gene's vision. So, they made their own up and it sucks to me.

fanboy_the_movie_baseball_cap.jpg

Fanboys are always going to be opinionated for what they love. :)

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yong's original title for his thread had "Yipee" and "Yay" in it (indicating happiness).

yes, I am hopeful-probably without any success-that the series they make is the long pitched to CBS CPT WORF

other then that, just "meh, ugh" instead :icon_lol:

BTW- it was "yip,yip, yahoo" :topsy_turvy:

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

Cause poop is cheap, hope is expensive