New toys!

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Its going open source? If so, then what Bluce said hold true. Many people are now installing multiple OSs on their tablets for compatibility reasons and expanded options. Windows 8 will rin in ARM which means that when geeks get their hands on it in the wild, it will be soon thereafter appear on Android tablet hardware and as multi-boot options like the one you chose. WebOS...I am not familiar with it. Perhaps it exists as a virtual machine where I can play with it?

Yes, HP is in the process of making it open source. Not sure about a VM - I couldn't find one - but there are many youtube videos that demonstrate it. I've been using WebOS on my tablet long enough now that Android just felt like taking a step or two back... :P

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I tried Ubuntu on a laptop in order to use Open Office to see if there was any point in getting an Android tablet then pushing Ubuntu onto it. None. Open Office is as bad as the others - lack of document fidelity, spreadsheet formulas not always accurate, lacking functions, etc.

I do expect that someone will figure out a way to lift Windows RT off of a tablet (it will only come preinstalled on tablets and the like) and then a way to put it on another device. I expect drivers will be a big challenge since RT will be using a new driver model (because Windows RT does not have the Win32 API but instead has the RT API - hence naming it Windows RT).

Without having the means to recompile sources for a particular processor, it can only run in a VM.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Without having the means to recompile sources for a particular processor, it can only run in a VM.

That was my point. But Windows 8 will run in ARM. :) If I could only get my hands on it. :icon_twisted:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

Good point - ARM is not a unified architecture like x86 is; the code is processor specific. Within that stricture however it may be possible to do lifts and copies if the CPU is in the same family (for example lifting off a Snapdragon processor tablet should be able to be used on any other Snapdragon tablet).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I should have looked a little harder for that Webos VM...

https://developer.palm.com/content/api/dev-guide/tools/emulator.html

Hmm interesting. I already have Eclipse installed for Android development, and it has some Android virtual machines in it I have created with the Android SDK plugins. There is evidently a similar SDK and plugin support for Eclipse which includes the WebOS emulator. :). I do not run Ubuntu as my "home" OS because of program compatibility issues, so VirtualBox is not an alternative for me. However I have VMware Workstation installed which already has my other bog virtual machines like my OSX Leopard, Server 2008, XP, CentOS and Android Live and Ubuntu. If I can use this SDK you linked to, I will make a screenshot. Thanks for the link! :)

Bluce Ree

So, I traded in my T-Mobile hotspot for a Clear hotspot:

http://www.clear.com/

spot-voyager-141-a.png

The 4G hotspot unit, which supports up to 8 wifi devices, is 1/2 price @ $49.95 until the end of the Memorial Day weekend. It's 2.6"x2.6" and very thin with about 6 hours of battery life.

4G Broadband service is $50/month for unlimited data with no contracts or commitments and no throttling. You can start and stop the service any time.

The catch? It's WiMAX and coverage is mainly in and around the major cities.

http://www.clear.com/coverage

The T-Mobile 4G hotspot was inconsistent and would drop far too many times throughout the day, which got on my nerves. Clear's unit is smaller with more battery life and, so far, I'm loving their service!

G

Graybrew1

My newest toy was from your suggestion. I paid the piper and got the premium hidemyass.com.

I tested it out from my house and it completely works. I won't go into detail, but this will come in very handy in the future and it sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo easy to use.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My newest toy was from your suggestion. I paid the piper and got the premium hidemyass.com.

I tested it out from my house and it completely works. I won't go into detail, but this will come in very handy in the future and it sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo easy to use.

I dont know how to tell what is missing. I chose to try a different route: browser proxy. It is very easy for me to set my browser to use a Canadian proxy, but I have no litmus tests to know what I am missing. Can you give me an item to look for in the full Netflix that is being blocked in the US? I already have a browser set to surf in Canada and it works.

Bluce Ree

I dont know how to tell what is missing. I chose to try a different route: browser proxy. It is very easy for me to set my browser to use a Canadian proxy, but I have no litmus tests to know what I am missing. Can you give me an item to look for in the full Netflix that is being blocked in the US? I already have a browser set to surf in Canada and it works.

A proxy won't work. Proxies announce themselves as such and good, free anonymizers are hard to find. Even if you're lucky enough to find a good proxy that completely masks you and doesn't announce it's a proxy, Flash ignores those settings and goes direct, which lets them geolocate you.

You really need to use a VPN. That is the only way to appear as if you're there. A VPN is essentially like being wired into the remote network. You're assigned an IP from the network point through which all your requests are routed, just like a local router.

G

Graybrew1

The Premium VPN at hidemyass.com is tested and true to work.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
A proxy won't work. Proxies announce themselves as such and good, free anonymizers are hard to find. Even if you're lucky enough to find a good proxy that completely masks you and doesn't announce it's a proxy, Flash ignores those settings and goes direct, which lets them geolocate you.

You really need to use a VPN. That is the only way to appear as if you're there. A VPN is essentially like being wired into the remote network. You're assigned an IP from the network point through which all your requests are routed, just like a local router.

These proxies are not public. :) What I meant was I need to know what to search on Netflix to prove I am accessing restricted material. I dont know what to look for in the Canadian version that is not in the US verson. Example would be a movie, a show, a documentary...need specific names.

Bluce Ree

These proxies are not public. :) What I meant was I need to know what to search on Netflix to prove I am accessing restricted material. I dont know what to look for in the Canadian version that is not in the US verson. Example would be a movie, a show, a documentary...need specific names.

Bro, it really needs to be a VPN. Flash ignores proxies and proxy settings. There is no way to force Flash through a proxy and the content providers (Hulu, Netflix, etc.) use the Flash stream for geolocation. There was a time when a proxy could fool Netflix and Hulu but they got smart to it years ago and started using the Flash stream instead.

Play Star Trek 2009 or anything that's recently been tossed off Netflix by Starz, Paramount, Lions Gate, Sony, etc. It's all there.

Bluce Ree

Just picked up a new toy at Best Buy. The Samsung Series 7 ultra.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...etal/8047065.p?id=1218863724042&skuId=8047065

8047065_xle.jpg
8047065_xle.jpg;canvasHeight=500;canvasWidth=500

Gorgeous device. Full HD (1920 x 1080), integrated JBL speakers, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, USB 3.0, 3rd generation core i5, touch screen and Windows 8.

First off, WINDOWS 8 SUCKS. I hate it. I have been playing with it for hours and this device nearly ended up being pitched off my balcony until I installed Classic Shell to bring back the Win 7 Start menu and various other familiar desktop shell interface items. Now, I'm enjoying it a little more and appreciating the performance improvements.

I've configured Classic Shell so it boots me directly to the desktop. The only time I see Metro is when I choose to call it from the useless Charms bar.

Win 8 aside, I love this device. The keyboard is smooth, the entire shell is metal and the metallic keys have a very soft yet clear backlight.The screen is extremely sharp and, despite the 1920x1080 default resolution, the screen is easy to read. Videos and sound are simply spectacular and it comes with some nifty features, like sending video wirelessly to your TV. The construction is very solid. Light, slim and easy to carry around. Nothing feels flimsy or done half-way on this ultrabook.

The Series 9 I bought last year is bugged to hell. The mouse sticks. Coming out of sleep usually reveals the mouse did stuff on its own, like select and drag desktop icons to the trash or launch folders or programs, sometimes sticking in right-click mode. Still a nice form factor but I grew tired of installing patches from Samsung that either made things worse or only fixed what they broke in the previous patch.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung---Series-7-Ultrabook-13.3"-Touch-Screen-Laptop---4GB-Memory---128GB-Solid-State-Drive---Metal/8047065.p?id=1218863724042&skuId=8047065

8047065_xle.jpg

Gorgeous device. Full HD (1920 x 1080), integrated JBL speakers, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, USB 3.0, 3rd generation core i5, touch screen and Windows 8.

First off, WINDOWS 8 SUCKS. I hate it. I have been playing with it for hours and this device nearly ended up being pitched off my balcony until I installed Classic Shell to bring back the Win 7 Start menu and various other familiar desktop shell interface items. Now, I'm enjoying it a little more and appreciating the performance improvements.

I've configured Classic Shell so it boots me directly to the desktop. The only time I see Metro is when I choose to call it from the useless Charms bar.

Win 8 aside, I love this device. The keyboard is smooth, the entire shell is metal and the metallic keys have a very soft yet clear backlight.The screen is extremely sharp and, despite the 1920x1080 default resolution, the screen is easy to read. Videos and sound are simply spectacular and it comes with some nifty features, like sending video wirelessly to your TV. The construction is very solid. Light, slim and easy to carry around. Nothing feels flimsy or done half-way on this ultrabook.

The Series 9 I bought last year is bugged to hell. The mouse sticks. Coming out of sleep usually reveals the mouse did stuff on its own, like select and drag desktop icons to the trash or launch folders or programs, sometimes sticking in right-click mode. Still a nice form factor but I grew tired of installing patches from Samsung that either made things worse or only fixed what they broke in the previous patch.

I love that machine! Our finance officer has one. I thought it was an Apple MacBook when I first saw it, until I saw him pinch-zoom a picture on it. :), This is another example of where Apple is missing from the truly high end. They dont make anything like this at all for any amount of money. Not even the $3000 iMac Pro has touch capability.

Bluce Ree

I love that machine! Our finance officer has one. I thought it was an Apple MacBook when I first saw it, until I saw him pinch-zoom a picture on it. :), This is another example of where Apple is missing from the truly high end. They dont make anything like this at all for any amount of money. Not even the $3000 iMac Pro has touch capability.

I am speechless at the quality and power of this thing for the price tag. It was just $999. The first thing I did was purge Norton and anything else that does nothing but slow your experience down with useless scans on everything you run and anything going through the data connection. The touch screen is a bonus more than a convenience. I really only find it useful under Metro. Otherwise, the touchpad is where I find myself at ease in the desktop environment.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I am speechless at the quality and power of this thing for the price tag. It was just $999. The first thing I did was purge Norton and anything else that does nothing but slow your experience down with useless scans on everything you run and anything going through the data connection. The touch screen is a bonus more than a convenience. I really only find it useful under Metro. Otherwise, the touchpad is where I find myself at ease in the desktop environment.

:beckett_new049:

B

Backstep

I just got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, am writting this without tapatalk. For a lower end tablet this works surprisingly well as the primary reason is for multimedia.

Bluce Ree

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung---Series-7-Ultrabook-13.3"-Touch-Screen-Laptop---4GB-Memory---128GB-Solid-State-Drive---Metal/8047065.p?id=1218863724042&skuId=8047065

8047065_xle.jpg

What a piece of shit. I regret this purchase.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Me, the ultimate cheapskate, broke down a bought a Kindle Fire. The Kindle is the ultimate reading instrument.