New toys!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Ah, but an infrared webcam would work.

http://www.amazon.com/Agama-V-1325R...30XS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336350553&sr=8-2

View attachment 7081

I'll bet the Dutch invented this sort of thing... ;)

Bah! Tis witchery thou speaks! It's bad enough we allow goblins to use their magic to lower the temperature inside these "ice boxes", but to think that we can summon demons to see in the dark just so we can find out if we're low on butter is to speak madness! I shall have no truck with such flights of heretical fancy, sir! Does thou hear me??? Now cease such Devil speak before brother OM1 discovers thou's heresy and smites thee! Hell, such apostasy will see us all smited! :eek:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
you need a new avi to pull that off shaved!!! :lol:

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Bah! Tis witchery thou speaks! It's bad enough we allow goblins to use their magic to lower the temperature inside these "ice boxes", but to think that we can summon demons to see in the dark just so we can find out if we're low on butter is to speak madness! I shall have no truck with such flights of heretical fancy, sir! Does thou hear me??? Now cease such Devil speak before brother OM1 discovers thou's heresy and smites thee! Hell, such apostasy will see us all smited! :eek:

A Luddite! :eek: :P

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I have to ask, am I the only one expecting stone to remake his old avi :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :rotflmao::laughing::rotflmao::laughing::rotflmao::laughing::rotflmao::laughing::rotflmao::laughing:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

:rotflmao::laughing:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Surprisingly good. I was able to watch a Netflix move with the pad sitting up in its case-stand on the table.

Excellent. I actually prefer the onboard sound to headphones when watching movies sometimes. I do that with my Iconia. Are you going to root your Prime? Rooting is so cool, if I was not rooted I would not have been able to use ClockworkMod to install my rooted ICS rom. Yours comes with ICS out of the box, right?

Bluce Ree

Excellent. I actually prefer the onboard sound to headphones when watching movies sometimes. I do that with my Iconia. Are you going to root your Prime? Rooting is so cool, if I was not rooted I would not have been able to use ClockworkMod to install my rooted ICS rom. Yours comes with ICS out of the box, right?

ICS out of the box. When I first connected it to the net, it updated to 4.0.3 over the air. Of course I'm gonna root this thing. The only thing I wasn't able to root was the Acer Liquid E I got for free. That thing is tied down tighter than the iPhone.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
ICS out of the box. When I first connected it to the net, it updated to 4.0.3 over the air. Of course I'm gonna root this thing. The only thing I wasn't able to root was the Acer Liquid E I got for free. That thing is tied down tighter than the iPhone.

I really like 4.0.3. I even changed the boot animation. :). But still, even with the tablet running MUCH faster than before, it still does not approach the fluidity of the Prime. Try running Ubuntu on your prime. The way it runs is pretty slick, actually! The developers say to use VNC on the tablet to access the ubuntu GUI, but I found that WYSE PocketCloud gives the best touch experience. Perhaps a thread in the Personal Technology section is in order?

Bluce Ree

I really like 4.0.3. I even changed the boot animation. :). But still, even with the tablet running MUCH faster than before, it still does not approach the fluidity of the Prime. Try running Ubuntu on your prime. The way it runs is pretty slick, actually! The developers say to use VNC on the tablet to access the ubuntu GUI, but I found that WYSE PocketCloud gives the best touch experience. Perhaps a thread in the Personal Technology section is in order?

Sounds good.

SciphonicStranger

I have a 32 GB HP Touchpad that I bought last year for $149. I got sick of not having Netflix on it, so I just set it up to dual boot to Android (CM9). I must say, I like WebOS way better than Android so far.

Bluce Ree

I have a 32 GB HP Touchpad that I bought last year for $149. I got sick of not having Netflix on it, so I just set it up to dual boot to Android (CM9). I must say, I like WebOS way better than Android so far.

WebOS was a fantastic OS. It's too bad Palm couldn't make a go of it. They made stupid marketing decisions, like granting exclusivity of the last Palm to CDMA networks only in North America, namely Verizon in the US and Bell in Canada. They might as well have held the gun to their temple and pulled the trigger themselves.

SciphonicStranger

WebOS was a fantastic OS. It's too bad Palm couldn't make a go of it. They made stupid marketing decisions, like granting exclusivity of the last Palm to CDMA networks only in North America, namely Verizon in the US and Bell in Canada. They might as well have held the gun to their temple and pulled the trigger themselves.

It's the lack of apps that finally made me install Android today. I read that HP is getting back into the tablet market now - but with Windows 8 as the OS.

WebOS is going open source in the fall, but without hardware makers committing to it, it is pretty much dead. I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Bluce Ree

It's the lack of apps that finally made me install Android today. I read that HP is getting back into the tablet market now - but with Windows 8 as the OS.

WebOS is going open source in the fall, but without hardware makers committing to it, it is pretty much dead. I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Don't count WebOS out if it's going open source. It's a wonderful OS and it will get ported to the current hardware platforms.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Will it run in ARM like Ubuntu does? I have Ubuntu on my phone and tablet, and am not at all familiar with WebOS.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Its going open source? If so, then what Bluce said hold true. Many people are now installing multiple OSs on their tablets for compatibility reasons and expanded options. Windows 8 will rin in ARM which means that when geeks get their hands on it in the wild, it will be soon thereafter appear on Android tablet hardware and as multi-boot options like the one you chose. WebOS...I am not familiar with it. Perhaps it exists as a virtual machine where I can play with it?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I have to admit I am waiting for Windows 8 before trying a tablet again. My experience with both iOs and Android taught me my use cases on a tablet pretty much need Office, and Windows RT (Windows 8 for non Intel architectures) will come with touch UI versions of Word, Excel and Powerpoint. I tried the main Android productivity suites (Documents to Go, Polaris, even Open Office) and the fact is Office kills all of them.

Phone wise, however, I have an HTC Rezound. Quite the phone. It is going to get its ICS update shortly but even on Gingerbread it is impressive. It has Sense 3.6 on it right now and Sense is always excellent. And the display puts them all to shame, including the Retina display (the Rezound clocks in at 342 ppi which out Retinas the Retina).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have to admit I am waiting for Windows 8 before trying a tablet again. My experience with both iOs and Android taught me my use cases on a tablet pretty much need Office, and Windows RT (Windows 8 for non Intel architectures) will come with touch UI versions of Word, Excel and Powerpoint. I tried the main Android productivity suites (Documents to Go, Polaris, even Open Office) and the fact is Office kills all of them.

Phone wise, however, I have an HTC Rezound. Quite the phone. It is going to get its ICS update shortly but even on Gingerbread it is impressive. It has Sense 3.6 on it right now and Sense is always excellent. And the display puts them all to shame, including the Retina display (the Rezound clocks in at 342 ppi which out Retinas the Retina).

Windows 8 will run on ARM which means that with the proper hacking skills :biggrin: one can run it on a tablet originally loaded with Android. Or, one will be able to run it on top of android. Open Office is an MS Office equivalent, and it comes standard with Ubuntu.

Phone wise, you made a great choice. I am getting 4G LTE everywhere but at home! Still, 3G is great for internet and by making a slight hack which removes Sprint's proxy, I get 20% faster speeds. Sprint is still one of the only carriers who are not throttling data. I keep having to interact with business users who use iPhones, and they feel positively antique to me.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I tried Ubuntu on a laptop in order to use Open Office to see if there was any point in getting an Android tablet then pushing Ubuntu onto it. None. Open Office is as bad as the others - lack of document fidelity, spreadsheet formulas not always accurate, lacking functions, etc.

I do expect that someone will figure out a way to lift Windows RT off of a tablet (it will only come preinstalled on tablets and the like) and then a way to put it on another device. I expect drivers will be a big challenge since RT will be using a new driver model (because Windows RT does not have the Win32 API but instead has the RT API - hence naming it Windows RT).