New Battlestar Galactica movie

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The finale has upset many--just like the LOST finale did

Not every show has to have a shoot em up ending to it--which BSG did have as well

M. EVE thing was a dumb idea. RDM was infatuated with the idea, he has said that after reading the Nat geo article on "her" then he was hooked on putting it into the story.

He was trying to make a connection that Hera was the link between Neanderthal and modern man- but again his time setting was off

The ending would have been a better fit with not only the story of BSG but with the mythos and legends of mankind-the landing should have been set about 10,000 yrs ago. That is the time that is now coming up more and more as the period when mankind started making so many changes (for reasons not yet totally understood)

We have legends-that we still tell and read- that were ready made to be tied in to the ending;

the Greek Apollo was said to fly in his chariot of fire--The character apollo said he was going to take a ship and fly around the planet "sightseeing"--Lee's manner and personality would have been conducive to stopping by and trying to teach native humans things like fire making and other skills keeping in tune with the greek legends of Apollo as 'teacher'

Zeus was on Olympus (mostly), as the father of "apollo" Adama did start building a cabin on top of a mountain (though it wasn't very high)

It could have also been used to "explain" why the blue and green eyed humans appearing about 10.000 yrs ago-and all being related-The cylons had blue eyes-some of them

In the same manner it could have been used to "explain" the appearance of the asian ethnicity as so many number 6's (a model proven to be capable of breeding)

They also dropped subtle hints during the course of the show by way of the background architecture of the colonies. Some of the colonial planets built in a pyramid style (we saw more of these in CAPRICA), a no brainer for a made up explanation for how humans of Earth learned how to build (in general) pyramids

But than again, to do any of these "tie ins" blatantly would have required a confidence in the audience to connect the dots, other wise it would have been wasted-most ppl do not know recent US history let alone the history of mankind
----------

If BSG would have ended in a shoot em up style only with everything explained and spoon fed, than the same ppl would have criticized it for that as well because they were already preset to dislike whatever happened. It was a show that ppl either liked or hated, no in between

On GF's, we all know who liked it and who hated it, so why bother going on with it?

If you look at the plot line progression , much of what took place-in general-in the series was TPTB following the same plot lines from the original series;

The "beings of light" from tos were the "head creatures" and the 'resurrected' starbuck in the new series

Other things like raiding the cylons for fuel and when starbuck crash landed with a cylon raider were obvious 'lifts' from tos ep's

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Really there are three groups here:

1) Did not like the show period.

2) Liked it in S1 and the first half of S2 but feel it turned into dreck after that.

3) Liked it.

I know I am in group 2 and I think so is Overmind.

As to the ending, it is not a perceived lack of big bangs or not being spoon fed things that turned me off it so totally. I understood it just fine and it is illogical nonsense. I already noted the issues with Hera and with the luddite idea. Actually the later into the show overall you get the more nonsensical it becomes. Several plot elements flat out didn't fit into the overall story and the producers would up retconning the show in the final episodes to try to make them fit. Also there was Moore claiming he had the show planned out a la Babylon 5 and it became obvious they had no plan for the show at all - kind of like the Cylon's (good luck at understanding the "plan" they kept mentioning at the start of every episode and no the "Plan" movie did not make anything better it just retconned furiously to try to make the Final Five fit).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Really there are three groups here:

1) Did not like the show period.

2) Liked it in S1 and the first half of S2 but feel it turned into dreck after that.

3) Liked it.

I know I am in group 2 and I think so is Overmind.

As to the ending, it is not a perceived lack of big bangs or not being spoon fed things that turned me off it so totally. I understood it just fine and it is illogical nonsense. I already noted the issues with Hera and with the luddite idea. Actually the later into the show overall you get the more nonsensical it becomes. Several plot elements flat out didn't fit into the overall story and the producers would up retconning the show in the final episodes to try to make them fit. Also there was Moore claiming he had the show planned out a la Babylon 5 and it became obvious they had no plan for the show at all - kind of like the Cylon's (good luck at understanding the "plan" they kept mentioning at the start of every episode and no the "Plan" movie did not make anything better it just retconned furiously to try to make the Final Five fit).

All of this...^^^^

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
I'm in group 1), I could see the seeds being laid down for the general story/plot/direction they were heading towards, which to me was mostly an exploration of very melodramatic aspects with light sci-fi content. And I really liked season 1 of Babylon 5 even though many seemed to dislike it and my reasoning is the same as above - I could see the seeds being laid down for the general story/plot/direction.

BSG has become the new template for almost all sci-fi now which makes me hate it more, the amount of vitriol I have for this show...

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I'm in group 1), I could see the seeds being laid down for the general story/plot/direction they were heading towards, which to me was mostly an exploration of very melodramatic aspects with light sci-fi content. And I really liked season 1 of Babylon 5 even though many seemed to dislike it and my reasoning is the same as above - I could see the seeds being laid down for the general story/plot/direction.

BSG has become the new template for almost all sci-fi now which makes me hate it more, the amount of vitriol I have for this show...
Yes, but even with its noted faults, BSG TPTB's pulled it off well enough to keep a large satisfied fan base

The other shows that try to be like BSG (dark,moody, lens flare-palooza) can't do it well enough, otherwise, we would see the same type of success with them as with BSG

Nearly no one I know in person or online liked SGu,DEFIANCE or the other want-a-be's

The BSG TPTB;s managed to wrap some bad decisions up in the veil of a "planned" series-they were good at crisis mngt and saving a show that would have otherwise gone dead

They had either luck or fortunate decisions on their side after the fact; these other shows started out to purposely try and mimic the mistakes by then seen as being "cutting edge"

For all that I say positive about BSG, everytime I see either Moore or Eick or another TPTB being interviewed on it, they seem very nervous and quick to change topic--they still can't logically explain how they pulled it off

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes, but even with its noted faults, BSG TPTB's pulled it off well enough to keep a large satisfied fan base

NuBSG's ratings were HORRIBLE, and the audience was relatively small. That is the thing. Here the ratings are, season by season:

http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/List_of_Nielsen_ratings_(TRS)

The ratings were worse than Atlantis, SG-1 and Trek, plus it's premiere did not even do as well as SGU's premiere. That is why I dont understand why they drop to their knees in worship of it.

The other shows that try to be like BSG (dark,moody, lens flare-palooza) can't do it well enough, otherwise, we would see the same type of success with them as with BSG

But see...why is NuBSG seen as a "success"? It wasnt really a success. And it's spinoff didnt even make it a single season.

Nearly no one I know in person or online liked SGu,DEFIANCE or the other want-a-be's

Nobody I know liked NuBSG, even in season 1 and the first half of season 2 when it was "good".

The BSG TPTB;s managed to wrap some bad decisions up in the veil of a "planned" series-they were good at crisis mngt and saving a show that would have otherwise gone dead

What kept it alive was the contract, not the ratings or love of the fans. :)

They had either luck or fortunate decisions on their side after the fact; these other shows started out to purposely try and mimic the mistakes by then seen as being "cutting edge"

For all that I say positive about BSG, everytime I see either Moore or Eick or another TPTB being interviewed on it, they seem very nervous and quick to change topic--they still can't logically explain how they pulled it off

I think a new BSG movie or show will fail, big time. Im with mzzz on this...the vitriol I have for this show is NSFW. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Thanks for those nuBSG numbers. I'm at a loss as to why the soapfi template that nuBSG created has been adopted for so many other shows now. It doesn't work for any show and this includes The Walking Dumb as people only tune in to that dreck because of the zombies.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I'm the in "didn't like it at all" category of nuBSG. the writing was horrible, the acting was poor (even Olomos was pretty sad. ) I don't like anti-heros (which they all were!) and it bored me! I gave it a try (as did Mr rac) but gave up on it rather quickly. Now I still have the original series with it's Cylon head box :P.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
You can even see the ratings starting to spin downward starting at Pegasus and following. Before that those are healthy numbers for a program on a channel whose distribution is not as wide as, say, a USA network

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You can even see the ratings starting to spin downward starting at Pegasus and following. Before that those are healthy numbers for a program on a channel whose distribution is not as wide as, say, a USA network

They really did lose it at that point, huh? Evidently yes. :) I jumped ship after Pegasus, but I was inching towards the airlock before that...just a bit. Resurrection Ship Pt 1 was the last time they broke 2.0, and it was all downhill from there. Dismal. Only SGU's even lower ratings made it seem better.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Hey you guys..don't hold back, let everyone know how you really feel! Again, and again and again....:anim_59:

Seems the starting of this thread for the new BSG film was just a crude ruse to once again dump on BSG

Tsk, Tsk...I am calling Cylon Romeo back from his cage! :smiley-laughing021:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan