NETFLIX's STRANGER THINGS

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have been watching this on Kodi, but the episodes are stopping and starting at annoying times. So, I started up my Netflix for a month just to finish this series. :) Now, how come Star Trek Discovery does not compel me to get CBS All Access? But that is another story. :) This show has me hooked.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Season 2....not as good as Season 1 in my opinion. Too many things going on, and not enough forward movement on the basic premise (of the upside down world and the rift). It's getting annoying. And why the hell did Dustin hide that damned creature? Before he did that, I thought of him as the smartest of the four boys. But he may be the dumbest. After seeing the original creature, and seeing how weird the thing was, how could he NOT know it was from the other side? And the Sheriff dude dropped into the gutter in Season 2, working with the enemy and hiding Eleven. Also, why did they add Max in there with the sleazy wannabe rocker dude who drives around like an idiot in that Camaro?

I still love the show, but it has slowed down in pace, and has added too many new things and started too many new story threads. Anyway, these are my thoughts as of Season 2 Episode 5.

Last edited:
Season 2....not as good as Season 1 in my opinion. Too many things going on, and not enough forward movement on the basic premise (of the upside down world and the rift). It's getting annoying. And why the hell did Dustin hide that damned creature? Before he did that, I thought of him as the smartest of the four boys. But he may be the dumbest. After seeing the original creature, and seeing how weird the thing was, how could he NOT know it was from the other side? And the Sheriff dude dropped into the gutter in Season 2, working with the enemy and hiding Eleven. Also, why did they add Max in there with the sleazy wannabe rocker dude who drives around like an idiot in that Camaro?

I still love the show, but it has slowed down in pace, and has added too many new thing and started too many new story threads. Anyway, these are my thoughts as of Season 2 Episode 5.

They kinda address a chunk of that stuff in the rest of the season, so don't worry. There is/are some loose threads left though.

Oh yeah, and Nancy Wheeler is a bed-hopping whore. ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
They kinda address a chunk of that stuff in the rest of the season, so don't worry. There is/are some loose threads left though.

Oh yeah, and Nancy Wheeler is a bed-hopping whore. ;)

Yep, that Nancy chick is a head scratcher. She was with the rich dude (who is an asshole), but then fell for the silent sensitive Jonathan, then she goes back to BMW dude, but she is secretly hooking up with Jonathan...plus she is a tease. Im not seeing the attraction. Also, why did those high school girls swoon over the delinquent rocker dude with the Camaro? Really? Him? I am not liking the Sheriff anymore and I hope the creature bites his balls off. I do like the addition of Bob. Max does not fit in at all. She needs to be upside downed and eaten ASAP.

One thing I absolutely LOVE about this show is that they always make it so the hated folks get killed in horrible ways, like the original lab people and "Poppa". Eleven crushed their heads. :) Also the bullies got theirs without getting away with it. Why are they allowing the Sheriff to survive? He is a bad guy now.

Last edited:
The sheriff has a connection with Eleven because he lost a daughter (to cancer I think) and then became a drunk and his marriage crumbled, etc. So now he's sees Eleven as a substitute child blah blah blah. He is kind of an asshole but he is trying to keep Eleven safe from the government folks.

Also, one spoiler, Steve actually turns out to be a pretty solid guy.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The sheriff has a connection with Eleven because he lost a daughter (to cancer I think) and then became a drunk and his marriage crumbled, etc. So now he's sees Eleven as a substitute child blah blah blah. He is kind of an asshole but he is trying to keep Eleven safe from the government folks.

Also, one spoiler, Steve actually turns out to be a pretty solid guy.

I think Eleven should be hidden by somebody else, but the way you put it does make sense. The flashbacks show us why he is acting that way. But he has Eleven locked up in that shack 24/7. Not even a dog or a cat can thrive in that environment. I was glad to see her decide to get out and see Mike. But I don't get the jealously thing from Eleven for Max. I know Eleven and Max are having a mutual crush, but why did Eleven think that Max was also on that level?

I like the fact that her mother also has powers. I hope Eleven can fix her.

I don't get the "shadow monster". Why have it? If it is made up of dark sand or whatever that is, then why does it want to eat living beings? Where did those creatures come from? Why are there duplicate structures and homes and vehicles in the upside down if no humans live there? WHY did Dustin hide that creepy little creature and why did he not figure out where it was from? Now, he wants to kill it but it's too late.

Last edited:
I think Eleven should be hidden by somebody else, but the way you put it does make sense. The flashbacks show us why he is acting that way. But he has Eleven locked up in that shack 24/7. Not even a dog or a cat can thrive in that environment. I was glad to see her decide to get out and see Mike. But I don't get the jealously thing from Eleven for Max. I know Eleven and Max are having a mutual crush, but why did Eleven think that Max was also on that level?

I like the fact that her mother also has powers. I hope Eleven can fix her.

I don't get the "shadow monster". Why have it? If it is made up of dark sand or whatever that is, then why does it want to eat living beings? Here did those creatures come from? Why are there duplicate structures and homes and vehicles in the upside down if no humans live there? WHY did Dustin hide that creepy little creature and why did he not figure out where it was from? Now, he wants to kill it but it's too late.

To be honest I find the actor who plays the sheriff, David Harbour, to be creepy and off-putting. He gives off a disgusting vibe, like a reprobate pedo. He definitely doesn't come off as a reassuring authority figure.

As for all the rest, some of it gets answered, like Dustin and his pet monster, Dart. I think he gives a reason as to why he lied about Dart at some point. As for the shadow monster and the "upside-down", from what I can figure that was an alt-universe that was the same as the regular one, replete with people, but then the shadow monster invaded that world and basically ate all the people. (Notice how the vines climb over everything? The shadow monster has basically devoured that world and is now trying to enter this world and do the same.)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
To be honest I find the actor who plays the sheriff, David Harbour, to be creepy and off-putting. He gives off a disgusting vibe, like a reprobate pedo. He definitely doesn't come off as a reassuring authority figure.

Agreed. I don't like him much anymore. But he is going nowhere, as evidenced by his miraculous rescue in the tunnel after being covered in writhing vines in the dark and surviving. They started too many new threads in Season 2. I will watch the rest of the season and come back to this. I also realize that a single deus ex machina moment could make all the bad stuff go away (like sealing the rift). I am really liking Wynona Ryder in this series. This is her best work yet.

As for all the rest, some of it gets answered, like Dustin and his pet monster, Dart. I think he gives a reason as to why he lied about Dart at some point. As for the shadow monster and the "upside-down", from what I can figure that was an alt-universe that was the same as the regular one, replete with people, but then the shadow monster invaded that world and basically ate all the people. (Notice how the vines climb over everything? The shadow monster has basically devoured that world and is now trying to enter this world and do the same.)

They need to tell us how the upside down got that way. I think what you said is true about the monster(s) eating everyone in that dimension, but these monsters look alien to earth. Did the upside down universe get invaded by aliens? Why don't the lab people go into the rift and go into the empty lab on the other side and grab some hard drives or something? Why don't they just drive a small tank into the other dimension and look around?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Ford Pinto's ROCK !!!

Yep, that was their weakness, and I personally saw a fatal crash on the 10 freeway (Santa Monica Freeway) of a rear end impact with a Pinto hatchback. You could see the gas splash against the inside rear window, and then the car caught fire from the inside out and two of the three passengers were incinerated. :( It blows my mind to see a running one in Stranger Things, and that there are kids riding in it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
About this show....

The season ended on a feel good moment, almost like a series finale. But the show is getting a Season 3 and it really should not be getting one. Not because the show isn't good, because it's awesome! It's just that the story is over. It's really okay for stories to be over, ya know. I fear they are going to ruin it like they ruined Under The Dome and Once Upon A Time and 12 Monkeys and Primeval. The story is supposed to end, and they look at the numbers and decide to stretch it out and in doing so they patch in new story which does not match the original style or follow continuity with the original.

The story is over. The gate is closed, and the Upside Down exists as it always did, separate and not part of our world. Eleven knows who she is, the couples have formed, the bad guys are all dead, and the London crew with Eleven's lab sister is not really interesting enough to pursue any further. Why are we getting a Season 3?

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Yep, that was their weakness, and I personally saw a fatal crash on the 10 freeway (Santa Monica Freeway) of a rear end impact with a Pinto hatchback. You could see the gas splash against the inside rear window, and then the car caught fire from the inside out and two of the three passengers were incinerated. :( It blows my mind to see a running one in Stranger Things, and that there are kids riding in it.
Yikes

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So, the threads that have to be tied up are....

• Eleven's mom: She is still mumbling and in a trance (or is she?)
  • Eleven's "sister".
  • Eleven's sister was 008, and Eleven is 11, so what about 1-7, 9 and 10, and perhaps 12 and greater?
  • What would be ANY reason to re-open a rift to the Upside Down after it was sealed in Season 2?
  • If the rift no longer is a threat, what will Season 3 be about?
All I can come up with here would be if somebody was left behind in the rift that is too important to write off, and somebody has to re-open it to get them out (Eleven/Jane). Or they have to retrieve something? But that is reaching...the story is pretty much over, isn't it?

It's probably just the chassis/body placed on a different frame with the gas tank positioned differently. Or something like that.

About this show....

The season ended on a feel good moment, almost like a series finale. But the show is getting a Season 3 and it really should not be getting one. Not because the show isn't good, because it's awesome! It's just that the story is over. It's really okay for stories to be over, ya know. I fear they are going to ruin it like they ruined Under The Dome and Once Upon A Time and 12 Monkeys and Primeval. The story is supposed to end, and they look at the numbers and decide to stretch it out and in doing so they patch in new story which does not match the original style or follow continuity with the original.

The story is over. The gate is closed, and the Upside Down exists as it always did, separate and not part of our world. Eleven knows who she is, the couples have formed, the bad guys are all dead, and the London crew with Eleven's lab sister is not really interesting enough to pursue any further. Why are we getting a Season 3?

I think we all agree on this but Netflix is going to milk this show until the cows come home. It's one of their most successful original shows so we can expect more for sure which means they're going to ruin it exactly as you have laid out. The story will be taken too far. The situations and personal relationships will become absurd. The writers won't care despite the fact that they will be bereft of ideas. It's all about the money money money (and let's face it, Netflix is gonna be strapped for cash at some point in the future because they are already over-extended).

Personally I'm tired of the "upside down" story and would prefer they do something else. I'd be cool with vampires or werewolves or something like that. But watching Will whine about being possessed by the shadow monster has gotten boring.

*I will admit that Winona Ryder does a good job playing the harried single mom. It's kind of sad that physically she's aged like milk left out on the kitchen counter, but at least she's still getting work, so good for her.