NETFLIX's STRANGER THINGS

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think we all agree on this but Netflix is going to milk this show until the cows come home. It's one of their most successful original shows so we can expect more for sure which means they're going to ruin it exactly as you have laid out. The story will be taken too far. The situations and personal relationships will become absurd. The writers won't care despite the fact that they will be bereft of ideas. It's all about the money money money (and let's face it, Netflix is gonna be strapped for cash at some point in the future because they are already over-extended).

Personally I'm tired of the "upside down" story and would prefer they do something else. I'd be cool with vampires or werewolves or something like that. But watching Will whine about being possessed by the shadow monster has gotten boring.

*I will admit that Winona Ryder does a good job playing the harried single mom. It's kind of sad that physically she's aged like milk left out on the kitchen counter, but at least she's still getting work, so good for her.

Poor Wynona! But hey, her acting chops are on the money in this show. :) You are probably right about the story being taken so far. This is exactly what happened with Under The Dome. I read the book, and I know when it ended. The series changed the real ending and stretched an entirely new, utterly ridiculous new extended storyline which was absurd beyond belief. And they had the NERVE to tack on a mystery ending like there could be another season (as if)? They did it with 12 Monkeys and started to do it with Continuum. Once Upon A Time is still running on borrowed time as well.

This particular show will not benefit from being stretched out. Will Nancy finally be able to say she slept with ALL the males in town over the age of 18 and under the age of 30? Will Dustin stick his fingers in a light socket and suddenly be able to speak Klingon? Will Jonathan and Nancy have a threesome with Steve?

Or, they can do a time travel thing...:facepalm:

This particular show will not benefit from being stretched out.

I thought the same thing until recently when I kept hearing people talk about how all they watch is Netflix. Seriously, there are tons of people who do nothing but let Netflix run in the background of their lives. They won't give two shits that the story for Stranger Things has gotten insanely bad, they will just click on the PLAY button and let it run.

We have to accept that we're now living in a world where critical thinking is missing. Everyday more and more people are lining up to bend over so that cynical Hollywood producers can shove crap like SGU and STD up their collective asses. I fear the day that this group of idiots hits critical mass. We'll all be screwed then. :moody:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Eleven's sister was 008, and Eleven is 11, so what about 1-7, 9 and 10, and perhaps 12 and greater?

seasons 5 and 6 :)

What would be ANY reason to re-open a rift to the Upside Down after it was sealed in Season 2

to allow for exploitation of all of that shit we have exploited from our own dimension!!! DUH!!! you imagine how much oil could be pumped through?! hell, Oil wouldn't peak production then until 2200!!!

and the gold and silver and fresh water and on and on and on

is that too cynical an answer?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
seasons 5 and 6 :)

to allow for exploitation of all of that shit we have exploited from our own dimension!!! DUH!!! you imagine how much oil could be pumped through?! hell, Oil wouldn't peak production then until 2200!!!

and the gold and silver and fresh water and on and on and on

is that too cynical an answer?

Nope, anything is possible...and oh, look. One of those creatures got loose. And this is a "special" one that can't be killed because it can take itself out of phase with our reality. Oh, and it can also read our minds and speak perfect English (and 12 other languages). It can be from space too...why not? The original story has been told.

Come to think of it, they actually pulled off the "magical child who saves the world" trope and I didn't think about it till just now! BRAVO! BTW, Eleven would kick Lexi's ass.

lexiblow2.gif

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I thought the same thing until recently when I kept hearing people talk about how all they watch is Netflix. Seriously, there are tons of people who do nothing but let Netflix run in the background of their lives. They won't give two shits that the story for Stranger Things has gotten insanely bad, they will just click on the PLAY button and let it run.

We have to accept that we're now living in a world where critical thinking is missing. Everyday more and more people are lining up to bend over so that cynical Hollywood producers can shove crap like SGU and STD up their collective asses. I fear the day that this group of idiots hits critical mass. We'll all be screwed then. :moody:

Actually that is a great premise for a modern 21st century horror flick!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

What worries me about this is that if a new writing crew comes into the picture or SJWs get involved, we will see Eleven in a lesbian relationship, or have two of the boys get sexually involved, perhaps one of them has to reveal that he/she is non-binary or some crap like that. :( I saw them do that to Under The Dome. It ruined the story completely. I am also trying to figure out where they will go with the story. We should be over the gate and the mindsifter or whatever they called it. What next? Still looking forward to it!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
What worries me about this is that if a new writing crew comes into the picture or SJWs get involved, we will see Eleven in a lesbian relationship, or have two of the boys get sexually involved, perhaps one of them has to reveal that he/she is non-binary or some crap like that. :( I saw them do that to Under The Dome. It ruined the story completely. I am also trying to figure out where they will go with the story. We should be over the gate and the mindsifter or whatever they called it. What next? Still looking forward to it!

they already soft peddled the sjw stuff

it was subtle

the lesbian ice cream store hero, Robin, who was smarter then Steve who was too dumb to realize shes a lesbian
he doesn't "get the girl(any girl) in S3" so, in a way this is victory for the anti toxic masculinity crowd--the jock didnt get laid

also, in this vein, we saw Billy get turned down by Karen (right name?)

then we have the 'girl power' with Max, Erica and Joyce all taking on more aggressive hero roles over the men/boys

so yeah, they are defi. working it in there

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Season 4 is out. Finished it last night. The final episode, number 9, was freakishly long. Like, feature film length long. More than two hours. It was alright I guess. And it looks like they're not done, because they left a major "cliffhanger" for the next season. Cliffhanger is probably not the correct term here, that's why it's in quotes. Let's just say the arc is not finished.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Season 4 is vastly superior to Season 3 which was a misfire.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Season 4 is out. Finished it last night. The final episode, number 9, was freakishly long. Like, feature film length long. More than two hours. It was alright I guess. And it looks like they're not done, because they left a major "cliffhanger" for the next season. Cliffhanger is probably not the correct term here, that's why it's in quotes. Let's just say the arc is not finished.
Season 4 is vastly superior to Season 3 which was a misfire.
yup i thought it was a great season, really liked how we basically got three mini stories all connected with the characters spread out like they were

defi was not an exercise in pumping a dying cash cow either.. good story and acting

also rumored that Millie Bobby Brown is to be cast in some SW's project, either an upcoming series or one of the new planned movies

as for a S5 that was announced last winter:

Netflix has some good news and bad news for “Stranger Things” fans. The good news is the show has been renewed for Season 5 before Season 4 has even aired. The bad news is that the show’s fifth season will be its last. However, while the showrunners announced that the end is nigh, they also teased that Season 5 likely won’t be the last “Stranger Things” story fans see, hinting at future spinoffs. “There are still many more exciting stories to tell within the world of ‘Stranger Things’; new mysteries, new adventures, new unexpected heroes,” https://www.thewrap.com/stranger-things-ending-season-5-renewed/