Nelson Mandela passes away

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
An absolutely amazing man who brought so much to the people of his country and who affected the rest of the world so very much.

He'll be missed by more than simply his family. His global family will miss him as well.

Rest In peace, sir.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
With a passing of a great man, people still can't avoid passing derogatory comments about him... Want me to post it here and see how stupid the human race can be?

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
With a passing of a great man, people still can't avoid passing derogatory comments about him... Want me to post it here and see how stupid the human race can be?
It never fails to make me shake my head when I'll mention a public figure who has done so much good in the world and either get a blank look in response or a nasty ass comment about them.

Not sure I want to see the pile of stupid, Heisenberg.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
It never fails to make me shake my head when I'll mention a public figure who has done so much good in the world and either get a blank look in response or a nasty ass comment about them.

Not sure I want to see the pile of stupid, Heisenberg.

I figured as much that I would avoid it.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I watched a tribute to him yesterday and it brought a tear to my eye.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is an interesting timeline of events which reveal which politicians in America were actually supportive of apartheid South Africa, and who actively sought to keep Mandela labeled as a "terrorist", whilst supporting the government of apartheid South Africa. They voted against sanctions against the nation, and 100% of them were Republicans. Surpring to me, was the fact that Ronald Reagan described apartheid South Africa as a "good country", and reversed the sanctions against the country enacted by the previous president Jimmy Carter.

http://thinkprogress.org/home/2013/12/06/3029871/wing-timeline-mandela/

Im really being forced to re-evaluate why I was ever a Republican after doing so much research over the past few weeks. Separating the "real" Republicans from the Moral Majority/Tea Party/far right wing elements is becoming more and more difficult. How many are left?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
It was the Republican party that fought for the Blacks to get voting rights, something your Father would have lived through, so it is unsurprising that you would be a "default republican"
The Republican party however is not the party it once was, in fact you could almost say the 2 major parties have all but flipped political poles on social issues.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It was the Republican party that fought for the Blacks to get voting rights, something your Father would have lived through, so it is unsurprising that you would be a "default republican"
The Republican party however is not the party it once was, in fact you could almost say the 2 major parties have all but flipped political poles on social issues.

That is exactly correct. My daddy was a Republican, as were most of my family members on by father's side (black). I became a Republican based on that, but my mother was a Democrat (white), and she was younger than my dad by more than 10 years. But they did flip political poles. Now, the Republicans represent the Dixie south and the Democrats seem to be the torch bearers for freedom and inclusion. Funny how things play out over time, huh?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...unity-leave-the-gop-for-the-democratic-party/

demCapture.PNG

Last edited:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
That is exactly correct. My daddy was a Republican, as were most of my family members on by father's side (black). I became a Republican based on that, but my mother was a Democrat (white), and she was younger than my dad by more than 10 years. But they did flip political poles. Now, the Republicans represent the Dixie south and the Democrats seem to be the torch bearers for freedom and inclusion. Funny how things play out over time, huh?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...unity-leave-the-gop-for-the-democratic-party/

View attachment 28928[/B]

Lets not get carried away here :lol:
What it looks like to me is that around the Repubs got "invaded" by the moral majority (I say invaded because the Repubs have had a fairly long history with religious groups where they worked together, rather than becoming a single entity), the Liberal/libertarians invaded the Democratic party as well.
The way I see it, you don't really have a Republican or Democratic party at all, except in name, you have a Conservative and a Liberal party, just no one could be arsed to change the traditional names.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Lets not get carried away here :lol:
What it looks like to me is that around the Repubs got "invaded" by the moral majority (I say invaded because the Repubs have had a fairly long history with religious groups where they worked together, rather than becoming a single entity), the Liberal/libertarians invaded the Democratic party as well.
The way I see it, you don't really have a Republican or Democratic party at all, except in name, you have a Conservative and a Liberal party, just no one could be arsed to change the traditional names.

Correct again...still, it looks to me like the Dems are making more sense on most of the issues that concern me. But they still have flaws that prevent me from wanting to join that party. Ill just stay Independent and that way I can vote whatever way I wish. Did you know that as of 2013, there are more Independents than either Dems or Republicans? Yep.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Correct again...still, it looks to me like the Dems are making more sense on most of the issues that concern me. But they still have flaws that prevent me from wanting to join that party. Ill just stay Independent and that way I can vote whatever way I wish. Did you know that as of 2013, there are more Independents than either Dems or Republicans? Yep.

I did not know that, but considering the disenfranchisement of people over the years of Bush and his *percieved* failures, followed by Obama and his *perceived* failures, it does not surprise me. Lets face it, Obama kept the presidency not based on any action of his own, but based on backlash against his competition and people not being willing to vote for Romney (so there was some truth to Rac's assertion that Romney had an honest vote)

*I say perceived failures, cause we know that both sides like to blow stuff up out of proportion, and some may not see them as failures at all.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I did not know that, but considering the disenfranchisement of people over the years of Bush and his *percieved* failures, followed by Obama and his *perceived* failures, it does not surprise me. Lets face it, Obama kept the presidency not based on any action of his own, but based on backlash against his competition and people not being willing to vote for Romney (so there was some truth to Rac's assertion that Romney had an honest vote)

*I say perceived failures, cause we know that both sides like to blow stuff up out of proportion, and some may not see them as failures at all.

I disagree with your assessment that Romney got the "honest vote". Bullshit. :) Romney got the fear vote. He got the angry white dude vote. He got the racist vote. The numbers for who voted for him are out there for you to see if you want them. Obama got the majority vote because he wasnt going after any rights people already have (abortion, the right to go to school without Christian overseers monitoring the curriculum, etc). Obama got the women's vote. He got the Latino vote. He got the educated white elite vote. He got the youth vote. He got the black vote and the Asian vote too. Romney's retrograde, "go back to the past" platform is not honest and he is not an honest man. He may be the most dishonest person ever to run for President.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I disagree with your assessment that Romney got the "honest vote". Bullshit. :) Romney got the fear vote. He got the angry white dude vote. He got the racist vote. The numbers for who voted for him are out there for you to see if you want them. Obama got the majority vote because he wasnt going after any rights people already have (abortion, the right to go to school without Christian overseers monitoring the curriculum, etc). Obama got the women's vote. He got the Latino vote. He got the educated white elite vote. He got the youth vote. He got the black vote and the Asian vote too. Romney's retrograde, "go back to the past" platform is not honest and he is not an honest man. He may be the most dishonest person ever to run for President.

You misunderstand me here dude.
I mean "honest vote" insofar as people did not seem to vote for him simply because they did not want Obama to retain the presidency. People who would have voted against Obama based on his colour or whatever would never have changed their vote anyway and would have voted for whatever Republican candidate was running. Obama however pulled votes based on the notion that people would not vote for Romney and voted for Obama out of "protest"

Does that make more sense to you now?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You misunderstand me here dude.
I mean "honest vote" insofar as people did not seem to vote for him simply because they did not want Obama to retain the presidency.

Wha? :facepalm: :smiley-laughing024::smiley-laughing024::smiley-laughing024:. I got news for you bro! The people that voted for Romney would have voted for Rush Limbaugh if he had been on the ticket against Obama. Even Justin Bieber would have had a shot. The people who voted for Romney WERE voting for him because they did not want Obama to retain the presidency. They wanted him to be a "one term President". Were you under a rock bro?

People who would have voted against Obama based on his colour or whatever would never have changed their vote anyway and would have voted for whatever Republican candidate was running. Obama however pulled votes based on the notion that people would not vote for Romney and voted for Obama out of "protest"

Does that make more sense to you now?

Bolded is exactly what they did. Obama pulled votes because he had a more appealing platform. And despite the real world rollout of Obamacare, most Americans were for it and not against it. Obama was for immigration "reform", and he was not vested in big business. I think on this particular take you are wrong. What would be the reasons to vote AGAINST Romney? That will answer your questions and correct your perceptions...I hope.

Last edited: