Need help here

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
You can either set up virtual machines or do a multiboot setup. It depends on how how want it to work. If you go VM, some people like VM Ware which costs money, others prefer VirtualBox or other free solutions. There is also the built in Hyper V client in the "Pro" version of Windows OSes of late:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh846766.aspx

Annoyed

Surly Old Curmudgeon
Don't know about Windows 10 'cause I haven't looked at it yet, but using Windows 8 instead of 10, you can easily run all 3 on a multiboot setup, I do it on several machines, in addition to Linux.

The windows bootloader for Vista and later can manage it, too.
It is rather convoluted, though, there is no native GUI for configuring it, you must use command line tool "bcdedit".
If you're command line impaired, you can use EasyBCD too. ( http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/ )

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Since I will be building a new PC come the fall I was wondering if it would be possible to run Windows XP / Windows 7 / and Windows 10 all on the same machine . This will be my all windows machine for Flight Sim and I have flightsim programs that only run in XP so that is my reason for wanting this setup if possible .

Thanks

:) :) :)

Yes yes and yes. Do it VIRTUALLY. With the kind of power you are running, you need to install VMware workstation 10 or later, and install all those machines as virtuals. Give each machine the resources it needs to run what you want to run in your guest machines. Windows 10 does not need 8gb of ram to run faster than Windows 7 running with 8gb. Give it only 6gb. Give your windows XP no more than 4GB, but it will run blazingly fast with only 2GB. VMware is awesome and very flexible. Dont like the performance? Tweak the settings.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You can either set up virtual machines or do a multiboot setup. It depends on how how want it to work. If you go VM, some people like VM Ware which costs money, others prefer VirtualBox or other free solutions. There is also the built in Hyper V client in the "Pro" version of Windows OSes of late:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh846766.aspx

You beat me to it. :) IMO, buying VMware Workstation is the best bet. You get the closest to a true bare bones machine with Workstation, and you have access to all the USB devices and networking operations. You can even nat within a virtual network farm using virtual routers and switches and even network appliances. Multiboot is also a great way to go, but requires physical reboots.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Alrighty then ... Thanks guys . I gotta read up on that virtual drive thing ,,,... Can't wait till fall now . I know . After this winter were having ,,, how dare I ... Might be able to ride my motor bike next week .

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Good question. His initial post sounds like he may be using a Windows version as the base OS.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Good question. His initial post sounds like he may be using a Windows version as the base OS.

Not good if that is true. For virtualization, Server platforms from Microsoft work well, but not the desktop. I would have gone with Ubuntu or Mint as the base install. When you can afford to dedicate a machine, ESXi works the best. But you cannot work ON the host machine like you can with Workstation.

Mint > VMware Workstation > VM cluster

Host machine will have at least 16gb ram...he should be able to run everything very well.

Last edited:

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
Since I will be building a new PC come the fall I was wondering if it would be possible to run Windows XP / Windows 7 / and Windows 10 all on the same machine . This will be my all windows machine for Flight Sim and I have flightsim programs that only run in XP so that is my reason for wanting this setup if possible .

Thanks

So, how many hard drives are you going to hook-up to this new "hog" of yours.

According to the MicroSoft spiel they want all the Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 to convert to 10, so I wonder how this will effect "Tripler's" machine when they stop updating all the old windows?

Tripler

Well Known GateFan

According to the MicroSoft spiel they want all the Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 to convert to 10, so I wonder how this will effect "Tripler's" machine when they stop updating all the old windows?

2 SSD's 250g each and one 4T Sata . Minimum 32g of ram and minimum 6 or hoping 8 core cpu Intel . 1200w PSU and GTX980 vid card . Probly go with another Thermaltake case cuz there so dam quiet or I may just may have an open concept build like I have seen a few do encased in pvc or something like that .

I went and bought a track bike so the puter build will have to wait till fall

Tripler

Well Known GateFan

I won't be using windows untill I build the new rig .
Just seeing how it works in linux to learn about it but I can't get it to install just yet

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
2 SSD's 250g each and one 4T Sata . Minimum 32g of ram and minimum 6 or hoping 8 core cpu Intel . 1200w PSU and GTX980 vid card . Probly go with another Thermaltake case cuz there so dam quiet or I may just may have an open concept build like I have seen a few do encased in pvc or something like that .

I went and bought a track bike so the puter build will have to wait till fall

Oh, my! The money you are spending just on your RAM would of paid for my new rebuild last year.

Mind you I use the same case and just rip out the guts, placing the older stuff in an older case.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Oh, my! The money you are spending just on your RAM would of paid for my new rebuild last year.

Mind you I use the same case and just rip out the guts, placing the older stuff in an older case.

Building an entirely new system with Windows only . My system now with Linux Mint is this .

upload_2015-3-7_17-49-35.png

It was both win and lin but this board did not like win so I made it lin only . Running at 4.3 ghz

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes in Linux but it won't download for some reason or install I should say .

The package (when unzipped) should end in .bundle. To install, put that .bundle package in your Home folder. Right click and choose rename. Copy the entire name of the title (including the .bundle extension and the dot) and then open a terminal and type:

Code:
sudo sh ./VMware-Workstation-xxxxxxx.x86_64.bundle

The installer will start and you are good to go. Have the serial number handy. :)
--- merged: Mar 7, 2015 at 5:32 PM ---
I won't be using windows untill I build the new rig .
Just seeing how it works in linux to learn about it but I can't get it to install just yet

Patience....it's well worth it to make Linux your host machine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oh, I should have added to paste the copied name of the file after ./ (where my example shows a filename)

NOTES:

VMware will want to set your VMware folder in your Home folder. I suggest creating a new vmware folder on a different physical drive and setting the program to create them there. Dont mess with shared VMs yet. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hey OM1 . I'm using the trial version . Where would I find the serial number ?

What version are you using. Open private conversation. :)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

He'll just kill the old Windows installed VMs and make new Win 10 ones. VMs are a wonderful thing. :D