More encouraging news about V, and some ominous events to come on Tuesday.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
V costs less to make than SGU (I think, but am not sure)

NOF and PH are certain to be cancelled. V looks comparably better but its still underperforming. ABC have no reason to keep any of them when they can launch new pilots next year. As for Syfy, well IF they can afford it they might go for it, assuming they have money left over from any of their new series. I'm still interested to find out how much the show costs and I'd still bet (this admittedly just being based on opinion) its out of their range.

If SGU was within their range, then V is a no-brainer. SGU was the most expensive show ever to be produced for Syfy or for Stargate. At over 2 million per episode, it cost more than SG-1 or SGA. I believe that V's episodes cost less to make than SGU but I have no hard evidence to prove that at the moment.

I think the upfronts are in May (correct me if I'm wrong) so we'll probably have to wait till then.
I think you are correct.

How does having an underperforming show on ABC help the film side of their business though? If anything Lost has helped define ABC more than V ever could. And if the future is in sci-fi then V's ratings are making a pretty weak case for it; at the end of the day they aren't going to renew it just to have a sci-fi show on their channel.
Having SCIENCE FICTION on ABC helps the film side of the business immensely. If Paramount had not had the Trek TV series and its variants, the Trek film released in 2009 might not have done as well as it did, and there might have never been a reboot. X-Files would have had no audience in the theaters if there hadnt been a TV series. Disney cannot hope to do well in science fiction without something to give it credibility in that area. So far, they have missed the mark over the years. They tried first with The Black Hole, and several others have come and gone and failed with Tron: Legacy being the latest failure. ABC could consider V a ratings success in science fiction based only on the fact that it has no other science fiction offerings to compare it to.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Nothing wrong with being logically optimistic!

Those numbers show that parenthood and No Ordinary Family have dropped significantly and show a DISTINCT downtrending. V is not showing the same pattern. Thats all Im saying. Because of that, I believe that ABC will renew it...strange as it may seem. :)

Plus the producers are actively working on making "V" financially attractive enough to garner another season. This is probably the single biggest factor in getting it renewed. Clearly the producers aren't resting on their laurels and expecting "V" to sell itself just because of the name (unlike certain other executive producers, wink wink).

I think OM1 has reason to be optimistic based on these positive and proactive signs. There's certainly no guarantee of a renewal but it's also not out of the realm of possibility. And should ABC pass on another season the show is ready made for cable. The producers have even said they were slashing the cast and bringing costs down so that in itself would make it attractive to a cable network in terms of purchasing.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I know, Im a V squeedrone...but I still see V being renewed!

Plus the producers are actively working on making "V" financially attractive enough to garner another season. This is probably the single biggest factor in getting it renewed. Clearly the producers aren't resting on their laurels and expecting "V" to sell itself just because of the name (unlike certain other executive producers, wink wink).

I think OM1 has reason to be optimistic based on these positive and proactive signs. There's certainly no guarantee of a renewal but it's also not out of the realm of possibility. And should ABC pass on another season the show is ready made for cable. The producers have even said they were slashing the cast and bringing costs down so that in itself would make it attractive to a cable network in terms of purchasing.

I see one of two scenarios for V: 1) ABC renews it and it remains on the network. 2) ABC cancels the show and it is IMMEDIATELY picked up by Syfy without skipping a beat. I do not see it being cancelled and dropped altogether.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
If SGU was within their range, then V is a no-brainer. SGU was the most expensive show ever to be produced for Syfy or for Stargate. At over 2 million per episode, it cost more than SG-1 or SGA. I believe that V's episodes cost less to make than SGU but I have no hard evidence to prove that at the moment.

Where did you get that info? Because I'm pretty sure that Caprica was more expensive than SGU since they actually had to cut down the the first season by one episode since it got too expensive for Syfy. I'm not sure about BSG but I got a feeling that it wasn't much different from SGU's budget.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Im guessing.

Where did you get that info? Because I'm pretty sure that Caprica was more expensive than SGU since they actually had to cut down the the first season by one episode since it got too expensive for Syfy. I'm not sure about BSG but I got a feeling that it wasn't much different from SGU's budget.

Im basing it on what I see in both of those shows. Caprica had a larger regular cast, but there was little CGI needed, no fancy sets needed to be built in sound stages, and there were no "big name" actors in the show. In contrast, SGU had massively expensive sets built in sound stages at The Bridge, it had Robert Carlyle and LDP and Ming Na in it, and loads of CGI.

But I have no proof of which was most expensive. But its pretty easy to see from what is in each show.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

I don't doubt that Caprica was very expensive to produce, much like SGU. Neither one got good enough ratings to offset that cost though. "V" might be expensive to produce but if it brings in good enough ratings on SyFy (or any cable channel) the topic of cost would be a non-issue.

I think it would be a safe bet for SyFy to pick up "V" should ABC drop it, at least for one more season. The carry over fan base alone would be worth the risk.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Im basing it on what I see in both of those shows. Caprica had a larger regular cast, but there was little CGI needed, no fancy sets needed to be built in sound stages, and there were no "big name" actors in the show. In contrast, SGU had massively expensive sets built in sound stages at The Bridge, it had Robert Carlyle and LDP and Ming Na in it, and loads of CGI.

But I have no proof of which was most expensive. But its pretty easy to see from what is in each show.

But there's also the fact that Caprica filmed a lot of scenes on location, they had a CGI robot in pretty much every episode, and the exteriors of most places in Caprica City and Gemenon like the STO training camp, the Graystone building, Atlas Arena, and many other places were all CGI. Not to mention V-world which also used plenty of CGI. And I think that Eric Stoltz and Esai Morales could both be called "big name" actors.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
V would be a natural fit for SyFy.

Like OM1 I do think they can bring in the cost of production at a number below that of SGU. And that is all they really need to do - it's not like they need to beat the cost of Sanctuary (which would be really hard to do with their "out of the box" model of production).

IMHO it was a mistake to sell it to ABC in the first place, as a good amount of the ratings issues can be laid at the feet of ABCs inept marketing team. This started back in Season 1 when they hyped the premiere than stopped promoting it and broke the first season into 2 parts with so long a hiatus between them that it drained off any momentum they had going.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
But there's also the fact that Caprica filmed a lot of scenes on location, they had a CGI robot in pretty much every episode, and the exteriors of most places in Caprica City and Gemenon like the STO training camp, the Graystone building, Atlas Arena, and many other places were all CGI. Not to mention V-world which also used plenty of CGI. And I think that Eric Stoltz and Esai Morales could both be called "big name" actors.

It's all a moot point when you consider the return on investment, or rather, lack thereof in the case of Caprica and SGU. We still don't know how "V" would fare in a cable environment but it certainly looks like a good bet for a season or two. Again, built-in fan base to count on. Safe bet for SyFy execs to make.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
It starts out sounding like a parallel of what happened with SGU but then you see that the producers are handling it completely differently. The gambit to cut the cast shows that they are serious about making the show financially attractive for another season.

It almost seems to be positioned to be pitched to a network like SyFy should ABC decide to pass on another season. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I'm not sure about that. Syfylys is on the fast track to becoming the Food & Crap Network with programming like Friday Night Smackdown and Quantum Kitchen. It's doubtful they'll want to clutter their airwaves with shows that don't fit it's genre, like science fiction.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I'm not sure about that. Syfylys is on the fast track to becoming the Food & Crap Network with programming like Friday Night Smackdown and Quantum Kitchen. It's doubtful they'll want to clutter their airwaves with shows that don't fit it's genre, like science fiction.

When I saw the commercial for "Marcel's Quantum Kitchen" I swear my brain locked up for a full minute. I just sat there and stared at the TV and tried to keep my eyeballs from melting out of my head.

I thought that people were joking when they mentioned a cooking show on SyFy. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that new depths of stupidity can always be mined on TV. Wrestling is bad enough but a cooking show? And by a "Top Chef" loser no less!

I assume this means that sci-fi shows can now be played on Food Network or Bravo and no one can piss and moan about that. What's good for the "quantum" braised goose shank is good for the gander!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OMG...they stole my ideas!

When I saw the commercial for "Marcel's Quantum Kitchen" I swear my brain locked up for a full minute. I just sat there and stared at the TV and tried to keep my eyeballs from melting out of my head.

I thought that people were joking when they mentioned a cooking show on SyFy. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that new depths of stupidity can always be mined on TV. Wrestling is bad enough but a cooking show? And by a "Top Chef" loser no less!

I assume this means that sci-fi shows can now be played on Food Network or Bravo and no one can piss and moan about that. What's good for the "quantum" braised goose shank is good for the gander!

Remember this thread?

http://www.gatefans.net/forums/show...d-they-have-planned-next?highlight=ghettogate

REPOST:

Why have they done this to our show? They had something that worked, they were successful with it for 15 years straight. So, they get bored with it and instead of passing it on to fresher talent, they all promoted themselves to lofty Executive Producer AND Writer titles, and brought us the utter garbage that is Stargate Universe. Its a fucking soap opera, okay? Now, relationships take the place of space battles, and lame communications stones give us lots of even more lame soap opera storylines on earth, involving wives, lovers, plots and betrayals. Its not Stargate at all.

I wonder, if they had had their chance to get a newer dumber audience to watch this SGU soap opera in sufficient numbers to keep it going, what sort of new Stargate shows they planned to do? Here are some things they might have done:

View attachment 572

Stargate: Liasons

The story of Trevor and Penelope, the last children of the two crew members left on the planet in Stargate Universe in Air Pt.2

Follow the weekly saga of lust and love as these two face the inevitability of incestuous love and their destiny to populate a world.

stargate_gourmet.jpg

Stargate : Gourmet

Learn the secrets of the chefs at Stargate Command. Lt. Lisette Petit and Lt. Bruno Batiste show you the proper way to prepare creme brulet, fois gras, and the proper way to carmelize onions.

View attachment 573

Stargate: Ghettogate

In the year 2016, a group of thugs discovers a buried Stargate in the middle of Harlem, NY, The police are too afraid to enter the neighborhood and the thugs keep the Stargate a secret. They travel through the Gate to rob other planets, and eventually set up an interstellar drug trafficking ring. On earth, rich drug suppliers pay handsome sums to have sex with alien prostitutes.

View attachment 574

Stargate: Partygate

Every week, dance to the new hit tunes from the various obscure artists who made the awesome music for Stargate Universe, and later were the background bands for the hit album: Chloe gone Wild which was released after Stargate season 4. Learn the latest alien dance steps.

:icon_eek:

Stargate Universe is NOT Stargate. Its something...sorta like a soap, sorta like BSG and Lost, and sorta stupid. It needs to be CANCELED before these idiots really destroy the Stargate name.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
View attachment 573

In the year 2016, a group of thugs discovers a buried Stargate in the middle of Harlem, NY, The police are too afraid to enter the neighborhood and the thugs keep the Stargate a secret. They travel through the Gate to rob other planets, and eventually set up an interstellar drug trafficking ring. On earth, rich drug suppliers pay handsome sums to have sex with alien prostitutes.

Not to be confused with "SGP -- Stargate Pimp". I love how they blinged out the stargate on that show. They made it look like a spinning rim on an Escalade. :icon_lol:

Bluce Ree

Remember this thread?

http://www.gatefans.net/forums/show...d-they-have-planned-next?highlight=ghettogate

REPOST:

Why have they done this to our show? They had something that worked, they were successful with it for 15 years straight. So, they get bored with it and instead of passing it on to fresher talent, they all promoted themselves to lofty Executive Producer AND Writer titles, and brought us the utter garbage that is Stargate Universe. Its a fucking soap opera, okay? Now, relationships take the place of space battles, and lame communications stones give us lots of even more lame soap opera storylines on earth, involving wives, lovers, plots and betrayals. Its not Stargate at all.

I wonder, if they had had their chance to get a newer dumber audience to watch this SGU soap opera in sufficient numbers to keep it going, what sort of new Stargate shows they planned to do? Here are some things they might have done:

View attachment 572

Stargate: Liasons

The story of Trevor and Penelope, the last children of the two crew members left on the planet in Stargate Universe in Air Pt.2

Follow the weekly saga of lust and love as these two face the inevitability of incestuous love and their destiny to populate a world.

View attachment 3497

Stargate : Gourmet

Learn the secrets of the chefs at Stargate Command. Lt. Lisette Petit and Lt. Bruno Batiste show you the proper way to prepare creme brulet, fois gras, and the proper way to carmelize onions.

View attachment 573

View attachment 574

Stargate: Partygate

Every week, dance to the new hit tunes from the various obscure artists who made the awesome music for Stargate Universe, and later were the background bands for the hit album: Chloe gone Wild which was released after Stargate season 4. Learn the latest alien dance steps.

:icon_eek:

Stargate Universe is NOT Stargate. Its something...sorta like a soap, sorta like BSG and Lost, and sorta stupid. It needs to be CANCELED before these idiots really destroy the Stargate name.

:laughing: I just managed to stop laughing long enough to catch my breath and post a reply ... but I forgot what I wanted to say ... I'm still laughing!! :rotflmao: I would *so* watch Ghettogate:laughing:
"Every week, dance to the new hit tunes from the various obscure artists who made the awesome music for Stargate Universe" :laughing:
OMG I'm gonna suffocate:laughing::laughing:

Bluce Ree

That seems to be the direction all the genre networks are going, showing programming that is completely outside their genre.

In the end, the "genre" in the name will be nothing more than a registered brand representing a network but having no bearing its content. Networks will all show the same shit, no original programming whatsoever, and all networks will simply compete on time-shifting.

What a drag.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Yoshi . I am getting tired of you trying to compare sgpoo to V . It is not a poorly performing show and it is way better than sgpoo and has way more viewers than sgpoo ever had or will ever have . There are no sites saying the show sucks which some one else has mentioned and yet you seem to think it is on the same road as sgpoo . I am going to restrain myself and not do the old route that we did at the other site as I do respect your post's and they have been civil and concise and inteligent but you really have to stop crying the( V is going to be canceled story) because it is not going to be canceled . Tonight's episode had to be the best one yet and it has only opened the door to some very exciting storylines and also the loss and gain of new characters will only expand the V experience !!!
I am not attacking you I am only pointing out that you are wrong about V and it's future .
V Is For Victory

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
Yoshi . I am getting tired of you trying to compare sgpoo to V . It is not a poorly performing show and it is way better than sgpoo and has way more viewers than sgpoo ever had or will ever have . There are no sites saying the show sucks which some one else has mentioned and yet you seem to think it is on the same road as sgpoo . I am going to restrain myself and not do the old route that we did at the other site as I do respect your post's and they have been civil and concise and inteligent but you really have to stop crying the( V is going to be canceled story) because it is not going to be canceled . Tonight's episode had to be the best one yet and it has only opened the door to some very exciting storylines and also the loss and gain of new characters will only expand the V experience !!!
I am not attacking you I am only pointing out that you are wrong about V and it's future .
V Is For Victory

I'm just looking at the facts and coming up with a conclusion. It's not just me either:
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/03/15/abc-v-no-longer-a-rookie-is-likely-to-be-cancelled/85734

As I already said I don't hate V and even enjoyed the first season.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
V Is For Victory

Gotta say, I'm on Yoshi's side here. He is applying the same calm logic WE used to dismantle SGU. Sure there is no "sucks" site for V, but V was not announced on the heels of "V2's" cancellation and V has, rather than diss it's "old Skool" fans, embraced them, both actions I'm sure did actually endear it to it's fans as opposed to the "clusterbomb" that SGU's marketing performed.

However, I do think V *As an entity on ABC* is in danger, and I also feel that is all Yoshi was trying to get across.