More encouraging news about V, and some ominous events to come on Tuesday.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I just found this article:

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/v-finale-19216/

V_future.PNG

Interesting, that site does not allow selecting of the text (must look into that!) This article clearly shows that the show is being downsized (in cost) which will help push it over into season 3.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It starts out sounding like a parallel of what happened with SGU but then you see that the producers are handling it completely differently. The gambit to cut the cast shows that they are serious about making the show financially attractive for another season.

It almost seems to be positioned to be pitched to a network like SyFy should ABC decide to pass on another season. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yep, but one way or another it will go on.

Or to another network perhaps........... :D :P

Perhaps...I see a move to Syfy in V's future. Some of the Syfy affiliates are already airing the latest episodes as a regularly scripted show. :) But I am confident that the story will be told to its conclusion.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Perhaps...I see a move to Syfy in V's future. Some of the Syfy affiliates are already airing the latest episodes as a regularly scripted show. :) But I am confident that the story will be told to its conclusion.

I'm a little pissed off that ABC decided not to make the 2nd season available on their website or on Hulu. It's not even available on-demand with Comcast. I've been on the road a bit lately and managed to miss every single episode. I love the show but Ive lost the motivation to catch what's left simply because I hate filling in what happened with guesses and recaps.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Question
Is Itunes movie/TV download restricted to the US? and does it always come out "next day"?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
ITA

It starts out sounding like a parallel of what happened with SGU but then you see that the producers are handling it completely differently. The gambit to cut the cast shows that they are serious about making the show financially attractive for another season.

It almost seems to be positioned to be pitched to a network like SyFy should ABC decide to pass on another season. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I completely agree on this! Like Sanctuary, the Team which produces V is responding quickly to the demands/ideas of its fandom. By approving the show in increments og 10-13 episodes at a time, and the relatively quick production because of the green screen technology and relatively cheap location shots, the show has already lowered its production cost by having pre-created virtual sets (the ship interiors, the ships dungeon where Diana lives, the ships and shuttles, etc), that is CGI work that is already done. If they drop two or three of the "expensive" characters, the show is considerably cheaper to make.

Marc Singer is in this next episode which means he will most likely make it to season 3. Im betting they will keep Jane Badler as well. But I think that Jack, Ryan and perhaps even Lisa may be killed off. There is that Queen Egg to replace Lisa :biggrin: (buh bye Lisa!)

I'm a little pissed off that ABC decided not to make the 2nd season available on their website or on Hulu. It's not even available on-demand with Comcast. I've been on the road a bit lately and managed to miss every single episode. I love the show but Ive lost the motivation to catch what's left simply because I hate filling in what happened with guesses and recaps.

You NEED to watch season 2. Its leagues beyond all of season 1. Better written, more drama and better action. The character development in this show is AWESOME. So is the science and the plot behind the V's presence on earth. There was more packed into these 10 episodes (9 aired) than is to be believed. You OWE it to yourself!

346px-Diana_teeth.png

Tropicana

Council Member

Has V's producers start going at its viewers yet, and telling them that they don't know art, or they're here loooooooooonnggg haul?

LOL

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
Unfortunately the rise that article talked of only lasted for the 2 episodes in question. It was written back in February.

Budget cuts can only go so far and such drastic measure only hints at the dire situation the show is in. When ABC looks at the numbers all its going to see is the steady drop.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
poor ickle Bwadwee is gonna cwy!

Unfortunately the rise that article talked of only lasted for the 2 episodes in question. It was written back in February.

Budget cuts can only go so far and such drastic measure only hints at the dire situation the show is in. When ABC looks at the numbers all its going to see is the steady drop.

you really seem to have a stake in V getting cancelled...maybe you will get a sense of satisfaction if V has less eps than sgpoo? I still stand by my feelings that you are a squeedrone. :wink:
You know V still had LOADS more viewers! I hope syfy picks up V...that would be a kick in the teeth for Ol' BW! :bradcry:

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
you really seem to have a stake in V getting cancelled...maybe you will get a sense of satisfaction if V has less eps than sgpoo? I still stand by my feelings that you are a squeedrone. :wink:
You know V still had LOADS more viewers! I hope syfy picks up V...that would be a kick in the teeth for Ol' BW! :bradcry:

I'm just confused as to the overbearing optimism OM1 has to the show getting picked up. It's quite a bit below the 2.0 that would put it on the bubble, the show is steadily loosing viewers and the producer is talking about mass cast exits. That just screams that the show is in significant danger of getting canned. Beyond liking the show theres little evidence to suggest ABC would want to pick it up.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Ratings are ratings. The numbers show a rise, not a fall.

The TREND is what is important. ABC has the numbers to work with. They do not need my opinion or anyone elses. By plotting the ratings numbers (particularly 18-49), we see that V has about a 1.9. ABC's target was 2.0 or more, but 1.9 is considered acceptable. When you look at the numbers, how are you seeing a drop when the numbers are static and cannot be misinterpreted. The numbers clearly show a 6% INCREASE, not a drop.

I'm just confused as to the overbearing optimism OM1 has to the show getting picked up. It's quite a bit below the 2.0 that would put it on the bubble, the show is steadily loosing viewers and the producer is talking about mass cast exits. That just screams that the show is in significant danger of getting canned. Beyond liking the show theres little evidence to suggest ABC would want to pick it up.

Optimism is overbearing? :) 1.9 is not "quite a bit" below 2.0 and the show is NOT steadily losing viewers. the last three episodes show that it GAINED viewers in the magic demo. For failing numbers, look to "No Ordinary Family" and "Parenthood".

Here are the cold hard numbers:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...hope-adjusted-down-no-adjustments-for-v/85185

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
The TREND is what is important. ABC has the numbers to work with. They do not need my opinion or anyone elses. By plotting the ratings numbers (particularly 18-49), we see that V has about a 1.9. ABC's target was 2.0 or more, but 1.9 is considered acceptable. When you look at the numbers, how are you seeing a drop when the numbers are static and cannoe be misinterpreted. The numbers clearly show a 6% INCREASE, not a drop.

How are you seeing an increase of 6%. That was based on a small rise in the middle of the season that has since gone back down again. That isn't based on the first episode of the season till now. The show returned with a 2.1/5 while the latest episode got a 1.7/5. If you look at the numbers I posted in the other thread you can see fluctuating around the 1.8 mark - a steady 2.0 was considered the minimum needed for any sort of renewal consideration not ABC's target. There is no signs of an increase at all.

Optimism is overbearing? :) 1.9 is not "quite a bit" below 2.0 and the show is NOT steadily losing viewers. the last three episodes show that it GAINED viewers in the magic demo. For failing numbers, look to "No Ordinary Family" and "Parenthood".

Here are the cold hard numbers:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...hope-adjusted-down-no-adjustments-for-v/85185

The last three episodes show a gradual loss in the key demo AND in total viewers:
1.9/5 5.143 million
1.8/5 5.040 million
1.7/5 4.981 million

That is a gradual loss of viewers NOT a 6% increase.

Just because No Ordinary Family and Parenthood are doing worse doesn't mean V is safe. As posted on tvbythenumbers this isn't Chuck and this isn't NBC. ABC doesn't need to keep a show that can't achieve even a 2.0.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You are correct. But V will still most likely get renewed.

How are you seeing an increase of 6%. That was based on a small rise in the middle of the season that has since gone back down again. That isn't based on the first episode of the season till now. The show returned with a 2.1/5 while the latest episode got a 1.7/5. If you look at the numbers I posted in the other thread you can see fluctuating around the 1.8 mark - a steady 2.0 was considered the minimum needed for any sort of renewal consideration not ABC's target. There is no signs of an increase at all.

The last three episodes show a gradual loss in the key demo AND in total viewers:
1.9/5 5.143 million
1.8/5 5.040 million
1.7/5 4.981 million

That is a gradual loss of viewers.

Just because No Ordinary Family and Parenthood are doing worse doesn't mean V is safe. As posted on tvbythenumbers this isn't Chuck and this isn't NBC. ABC doesn't need to keep a show that can't achieve even a 2.0.

They dont NEED to keep it, but I am certain they will. No Ordinary Family will be cancelled as will Parenthood. But V will be renewed. And it wont be based only in the numbers, it will be based on a sound decision employing a wide variety of litmus tests, the main one of which is the fans and the reception of the show by critics. By using numbers alone, V should never have gotten its 2nd run of episodes, but it did.

The Disney-ABC group recently invested millions on Tron (which failed), and a coup would be to promote V and solidify itself in the science fiction genre where it has been traditionally weak. Why would it want that? Because the highest grossing films are mostly science fiction/fantasy. Disney does not have anything in the science fiction genre which it can call a blockbuster.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Looking at those numbers, V is steady whilst NOF and Parenthood show significant losses.

Those numbers show that parenthood and No Ordinary Family have dropped significantly and show a DISTINCT downtrending. V is not showing the same pattern. Thats all Im saying. Because of that, I believe that ABC will renew it...strange as it may seem. :)

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
They dont NEED to keep it, but I am certain they will. No Ordinary Family will be cancelled as will Parenthood. But V will be renewed. And it wont be based only in the numbers, it will be based on a sound decision employing a wide variety of litmus tests, the main one of which is the fans and the reception of the show by critics. By using numbers alone, V should never have gotten its 2nd run of episodes, but it did.

The Disney-ABC group recently invested millions on Tron (which failed), and a coup would be to promote V and solidify itself in the science fiction genre where it has been traditionally weak. Why would it want that? Because the highest grossing films are mostly science fiction/fantasy. Disney does not have anything in the science fiction genre which it can call a blockbuster.

It got renewed for 13 episodes that was then cut down to 10. Since returning the show has managed to drop even further in the 18/49 demo and in total viewers. Last season ABC didn't want to cancel all of its new dramas, this season V has proven it cant deliver the numbers or grow its viewership. With more promising pilots in the pipeline ABC doesn't need to renew V again. As for critical reception - its nowhere near positive enough for the show to be renewed based on that. V is hardly a prestige show for ABC.

As for the whole Tron thing - there really isn't any relation between a multi-million dollar movie and a show averaging less than a 2.0 on a TV network. In fact I'm not even sure what your point with that was, having V on ABC doesn't help the company with its movie business.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan

Hey thanks for posting links.

Those numbers show that parenthood and No Ordinary Family have dropped significantly and show a DISTINCT downtrending. V is not showing the same pattern. Thats all Im saying. Because of that, I believe that ABC will renew it...strange as it may seem. :)

V has shown a decreasing trend in the last 3 weeks though. Most importantly it hasn't shown a rising trend which is what ABC was hoping for when it renewed the show. Just because 2 other shows are failing doesn't mean ABC needs to renew V.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Once again, its not only the numbers.

ABC is not hurting for money like MGM was. The situation for V is not dire. The situation for No Ordinary Family and Parenthood is. The show is doing fairly well. If it is cancelled by ABC, then Syfy is poised to buy it. I can employ some of my moles to see if that is a possibility, but the fact that more than one Syfy affiliate is airing the show's new episodes is proof that they are interested. Such a show would be considered a blockbuster on Syfy with its current numbers. At even HALF the current numbers, it would be more than twice as successful as the highest rated episode of SGU.

It got renewed for 13 episodes that was then cut down to 10. Since returning the show has managed to drop even further in the 18/49 demo and in total viewers. Last season ABC didn't want to cancel all of its new dramas, this season V has proven it cant deliver the numbers or grow its viewership. With more promising pilots in the pipeline ABC doesn't need to renew V again. As for critical reception - its nowhere near positive enough for the show to be renewed based on that. V is hardly a prestige show for ABC.

You wont have to wait very long to see what happens. The last episode of season 2 airs tomorrow, and an announcement will have to be made so that production can begin on season 3 (or not). When it is renewed, you and I can have virtual coffee and discuss! :)

As for the whole Tron thing - there really isn't any relation between a multi-million dollar movie and a show averaging less than a 2.0 on a TV network. In fact I'm not even sure what your point with that was, having V on ABC doesn't help the company with its movie business.

Sure there is. Its called TYPECASTING. ABC/Disney has struggled with that for decades. It created Touchstone and Pixar only to remove the Disney name from the mix because most peope associate the name Disney with children's productions and animated feature films. The future of the movie industry and popular TV is not in traditional drama or reality TV, its in science fiction and fantasy. Disney-ABC is weak in those areas.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
ABC is not hurting for money like MGM was. The situation for V is not dire. The situation for No Ordinary Family and Parenthood is. The show is doing fairly well. If it is cancelled by ABC, then Syfy is poised to buy it. I can employ some of my moles to see if that is a possibility, but the fact that more than one Syfy affiliate is airing the show's new episodes is proof that they are interested. Such a show would be considered a blockbuster on Syfy with its current numbers. At even HALF the current numbers, it would be more than twice as successful as the highest rated episode of SGU.

NOF and PH are certain to be cancelled. V looks comparably better but its still underperforming. ABC have no reason to keep any of them when they can launch new pilots next year. As for Syfy, well IF they can afford it they might go for it, assuming they have money left over from any of their new series. I'm still interested to find out how much the show costs and I'd still bet (this admittedly just being based on opinion) its out of their range.

You wont have to wait very long to see what happens. The last episode of season 2 airs tomorrow, and an announcement will have to be made so that production can begin on season 3 (or not). When it is renewed, you and I can have virtual coffee and discuss! :)

I think the upfronts are in May (correct me if I'm wrong) so we'll probably have to wait till then.

Sure there is. Its called TYPECASTING. ABC/Disney has struggled with that for decades. It created Touchstone and Pixar only to remove the Disney name from the mix because most peope associate the name Disney with children's productions and animated feature films. The future of the movie industry and popular TV is not in traditional drama or reality TV, its in science fiction and fantasy. Disney-ABC is weak in those areas.

How does having an underperforming show on ABC help the film side of their business though? If anything Lost has helped define ABC more than V ever could. And if the future is in sci-fi then V's ratings are making a pretty weak case for it; at the end of the day they aren't going to renew it just to have a sci-fi show on their channel.