Marvel's Daredevil

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have downloaded Season 1, but have not watched it yet.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Have to find it somewhere legal first that I could be bothered with. I really liked S1, and our tastes in shows (or at least appreciation of) tend to be similar, so I'll keep an eye out.
DD was one of my comics of choice as a kid-to-late teen, along with Punisher, Thor and Ghost Rider, so I am already predisposed to be generous to it.

Those were also my favs growing up with the addition of the Uncanny X-Men. I still have the entire Ghost Rider series from first to last issue.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Those were also my favs growing up with the addition of the Uncanny X-Men.
I did not get into X-men until the '92 cartoon series. In fact, I came to comics late as I was reading novels as a pre-teen, and sorta skipped all that.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Even in the comics, they have a love/hate type of relationship, sort'o friends who disagree a lot and end up beating each other to pulps over the killing/no-killing rule.

So DD doesn't believe in killing bad guys?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
So DD doesn't believe in killing bad guys?
DD will kill, but he will agonize over it and be a tortured muppet. Basically, he needs a -really- good reason to do it. Spidey -never- kills, and Punisher will just kill anyone he views as a criminal.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
We binged it over this last weekend and loved it at least as much (if not more) than season 1.

I hope you can find a legal version of it, GF!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
He's a devoted Catholic, and believes that it's up to "God" to determine who dies and does not die.

He even goes to confession. (Even his priest knows who he "really" is.)

As a "recovering Catholic" I don't understand the proscription against killing evil people in this regard. In fact, while growing up in the church I don't recall anyone having a problem with capitol punishment or the killing done by soldiers, etc. The only exception seemed to be abortion, but even then people weren't going out protesting against it.

It's been awhile since I had any dealings with Catholicism so things may have changed.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
We binged it over this last weekend and loved it at least as much (if not more) than season 1.

I hope you can find a legal version of it, GF!
I will keep hunting, but it's not like I don't have a ton of stuff to watch anyway :P

Bluce Ree

As a "recovering Catholic" I don't understand the proscription against killing evil people in this regard.

See, this is a contradiction I've never been able to wrap my head around. Why must we keep turning the other cheek but he condemns them to an eternity of torture?

Bluce Ree

I will keep hunting, but it's not like I don't have a ton of stuff to watch anyway :P

Get Netflix, watch the series, cancel. Next season, or next series that piques your interest, rinse & repeat.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
See, this is a contradiction I've never been able to wrap my head around. Why must we keep turning the other cheek but he condemns them to an eternity of torture?
One is the "word of god" (kill 'em all)
One is the word of a sandal wearing Arabian hippie

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Get Netflix, watch the series, cancel. Next season, or next series that piques your interest, rinse & repeat.
NF shows tend to come on our cable at some point, so I'm not that worried.
Besides, it gives me something to look forward too :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

I guess the issue I have is with superheroes who fear destroying evil. Using religion as an excuse to procrastinate and/or avoid doing what is moral (in that fictional context) is immoral itself.

I'm sorry but I'm not waiting for Netflix anymore. I've already switched to Amazon Prime. It's a shame they dragged their feet on DD because I quite liked it but the gap between season 2 and 3 has been ridiculous. -- And please don't mention The Defenders, that sucked. It was poorly written and wholly unsatisfying. Nope, Netflix screwed up on this one. There's no reason that they aren't at season 5 by this point. They have a willingness to piss away billions of dollars on stupid crap that no one cares about but one of their top shows they leave to dangle in the wind for well over 2 years. Seriously, season 2 of DD dropped in March of 2016. What the hell is that about???

Netflix is a terribly run company. They can kiss my ass.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I'm sorry but I'm not waiting for Netflix anymore. I've already switched to Amazon Prime. It's a shame they dragged their feet on DD because I quite liked it but the gap between season 2 and 3 has been ridiculous. -- And please don't mention The Defenders, that sucked. It was poorly written and wholly unsatisfying. Nope, Netflix screwed up on this one. There's no reason that they aren't at season 5 by this point. They have a willingness to piss away billions of dollars on stupid crap that no one cares about but one of their top shows they leave to dangle in the wind for well over 2 years. Seriously, season 2 of DD dropped in March of 2016. What the hell is that about???

Netflix is a terribly run company. They can kiss my ass.
Why would Netflix be the party to blame for that and not Marvel?

Why would Netflix be the party to blame for that and not Marvel?

As I understand it it's a Netflix-produced show. Marvel doesn't really have anything to do with it other than regulating the story content. I haven't seen anything that shows Marvel is controlling when the seasons are released.

The bottom line is it will be nearly 3 years between season 2 and season 3. That is unacceptable.