Mallozzi and Mullie out as Transporter Showrunners

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
nothing..

He is going to claim he is in retirement! :) Perhaps he should do that cooking thing he was going to do?

Inara

GateFans Noob
New article over at The Hollywood Reporter talks about The Transporter, including "on-set turmoil" that includes Mullie and Mallozzi's departure for "creative differences".

Also discusses how this project is being done in English, but aimed to sell in both North American and European markets. Apparently one-hour shows that do well in the US/Canada haven't been able to get into primetime markets in Europe. I know from talking to some of my friends in European countries that many US shows often don't even start showing there until it's already cancelled in the US, or they finally get a season shown at a random time on an "off" network, but never get any more.

I wonder if this is partly due to European countries giving priority to European shows (understandable) and fit in shows from other countries, including the US and Canadian ones, whenever they have an empty slot? In the US, we're lucky to get Canadian or UK shows at all, much less anything from Australia or New Zealand. We all speak the same language, or at least close enough, but apparently the networks are afraid most Americans will be turned off by accents. Me? I'm kinda turned on by them. :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
New article over at The Hollywood Reporter talks about The Transporter, including "on-set turmoil" that includes Mullie and Mallozzi's departure for "creative differences".

Also discusses how this project is being done in English, but aimed to sell in both North American and European markets. Apparently one-hour shows that do well in the US/Canada haven't been able to get into primetime markets in Europe. I know from talking to some of my friends in European countries that many US shows often don't even start showing there until it's already cancelled in the US, or they finally get a season shown at a random time on an "off" network, but never get any more.

I wonder if this is partly due to European countries giving priority to European shows (understandable) and fit in shows from other countries, including the US and Canadian ones, whenever they have an empty slot? In the US, we're lucky to get Canadian or UK shows at all, much less anything from Australia or New Zealand. We all speak the same language, or at least close enough, but apparently the networks are afraid most Americans will be turned off by accents. Me? I'm kinda turned on by them. :P

I kinda LIKE the accents. I love to hear people speak who have accents. :)

Inara

GateFans Noob
I kinda LIKE the accents. I love to hear people speak who have accents. :)

I blame my local PBS station for getting me hooked on British accents. And Doctor Who. And Red Dwarf. And...

In American TV, most of the time actors have to neutralize their natural accent in order to get jobs. Then when TPTB cast a role that needs an accent, they get someone to do a fake one. Often a very horrid fake one. I have a Texas Twang, and knowing a character is supposed to be from Texas is enough to make me start twitching before they ever say a word.

I find it interesting that foreign actors can do an "American" accent better than actual Americans, because it's more about being neutral than trying to sound American. Hugh Laurie does an excellent job, to the point where many Americans had their minds blown if they were unfamiliar with his prior work and then heard his natural speaking voice.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I blame my local PBS station for getting me hooked on British accents. And Doctor Who. And Red Dwarf. And...

In American TV, most of the time actors have to neutralize their natural accent in order to get jobs. Then when TPTB cast a role that needs an accent, they get someone to do a fake one. Often a very horrid fake one. I have a Texas Twang, and knowing a character is supposed to be from Texas is enough to make me start twitching before they ever say a word.

I find it interesting that foreign actors can do an "American" accent better than actual Americans, because it's more about being neutral than trying to sound American. Hugh Laurie does an excellent job, to the point where many Americans had their minds blown if they were unfamiliar with his prior work and then heard his natural speaking voice.

Well, sometimes they get the accents misplaced. A black ghetto accent should not be coming from a black guy playing a President (like The 5th Element). A heavy southern drawal (from the Appalachians) should not be coming from a guy playing a 5-star General either. :). I thought that Helen Magnus in Sanctuary did a good British accent, but was it necessary for the role?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Helen IS supposed to be English............... So, Yeah :P

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I don't think so no. AT was born in the UK IIRC, but moved to Canada when she was one. She probably grew up hearing one however.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I don't think so no. AT was born in the UK IIRC, but moved to Canada when she was one. She probably grew up hearing one however.

I know Brits who DO have accents (to me as an American). AT has it pretty much on point with King's English. I know the difference between that accent and the Cockney/East Enders too. I wonder why they made Helen English?

Tropicana

Council Member
I know Brits who DO have accents (to me as an American). AT has it pretty much on point with King's English. I know the difference between that accent and the Cockney/East Enders too. I wonder why they made Helen English?
Like moi, for example. :)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

I'm the same way with New England accents..."murder she wrote" was constantly casting actors who had NO CLUE how to sound like they were from maine! not even close! :P the best accent on that show was Jerry Orbach's (*sigh*) when he did the Harry McGraw character...he did boston irish great! :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I prefer the proper English, east-end (as cute as it is), can get irritating IMO.

Agreed. :) Besides that, the Aussie accent is very close, but theirs sounds a lot better to me, and it is distinctive to Aussies. King's English sounds so....elegant.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Agreed. :) Besides that, the Aussie accent is very close, but theirs sounds a lot better to me, and it is distinctive to Aussies. King's English sounds so....elegant.

Well, you have heard mine :P

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
The real problem with the "aussie accent" is that depending where you come from you can sound like a total moron (listen to Julia Gillard, our PM BEFORE she got voice coaching, absolutle fraking nasal sound to her :P ).

The other problem is we tend to speak VERY fast, which is pretty much the opposite to OM's "Callie twang", which sounds pretty laid back and mellow in comparison :)

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.

NO that is not the case, the reason for this is discrimination by the us market ie that it is more important and as such networks and right holders delay the release of these shows for months so european networks cannot buy them until then have been airing for about a season or more.